Speculation: Wingers

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
Lindy: 45-50 point skill guy, versatile (he's similar to Cogliano)
... you mean 40 point inconsistent all season guy? i mean he is decent defensivly nothing special but has no offensive capabilities some games and he really hurts us. a game that could prove me wrong are the last couple tho, has looked a lot better as of late from what ive heard. i haven't been able to watch because of work and i was at the OBX last weekend in the st patties day parade then had work sunday night. Lindholms 20/30 faceoff game is actually really impressive. rest i havent really thought was that good.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Lindholm's assist totals would be a lot higher if there were more non-stone handed players on the receiving end of his passes. Earlier this season I especially remember him having lots of nice passes, only for his linemates to flub them, shoot wide/high or right into the goalie's chest. Granted he seems to have stone hands himself when receiving passes, but he still has that playmaker instinct/ability that people were excited about when he was drafted.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm not sure I'm stoked about JVR, I agree he's gonna be overpaid. He does play a pretty straight forward game that would likely complement some of other guys, and does have the hands around the net. That contract is gonna be rough though.

Lindy is meh at wing, really want him at center, I would agree with concept that we could use an upgrade on the wing overall.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
In Charlotte, the 4 wings that seem to have the nearest shot are Zykov, Foegele, Saarela, and Kuokkanen. Interestingly enough, Foegele, Saarela, and Kuokkanen have also played the pivot too.

Further down the depth chart you've got Gauthier on the right side. It also appears that Mattheos can play on the right side. With Filipe's disappointing sophomore year, his stock has dropped some. In general there's some future there, but the team needs high end wings, especially on the right side to compliment some pretty fair center depth (the aforementioned Saarela and Kuokkanen plus Wallmark, Roy, David Cotton, to a lesser extent Clark Bishop and the youngsters, Elynuik and Geekie). Of course everybody and their brother is counting on Necas to step right into a major NHL role.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure I'm stoked about JVR, I agree he's gonna be overpaid. He does play a pretty straight forward game that would likely complement some of other guys, and does have the hands around the net. That contract is gonna be rough though..

Yeah, when guys sign long, big dollar UFA contracts at his age (29+), many times they end up either being boat anchors and/or buyouts in the latter years. That said, maybe we need someone that can give us a few good years of scoring and worry about the boat anchor 4 years from now. JVR has been a consist ~30G, ~55+ point forward in Toronto on good teams and bad, and has only 1 season of the last 6 where he's been injured. The guy can be frustrating to watch as he doesn't always play with intensity and is so-so defensively, but he knows how to put the puck in the net, especially down low and the Canes need scoring one way or another.

It's not my money so it's easy to say, but I'd like to see them go after one of Kane, JVR, or Neal even though it means the Canes are going to have to overpay to get them. Miss out on those guys and it's guys like Nash, Perron, Maroon or maybe Stastny.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
One thing to consider about JVR- he is bad defensively and most of his goals/points are scored close to the net (Peters system seems to not like that place on the ice) and on PP.

I think that's two things to consider. :sarcasm:

Yeah, he's not great defensively for sure and his inconsistent effort can be very frustrating so I'm not saying he's a perfect match, nor that he's a better choice than some others, but Canes do take a lot of shots right in front of the net. They just don't have guys that convert, which is where a guy like JVR would come in handy, and why so many have been clamoring for Zykov to get a chance.

I also don't think he's as much of a PP scorer as you imply. In the last 2 seasons, 26% of Aho's goals are on the PP and 25% of JVR's goals are on the PP. 30% of Aho's points are on the PP and 33% of JVR's points are on the PP. Those are pretty reasonable numbers IMO.

I'm not fully sold on JVR. I think he'd help, but he's got some flaws in his game and is going to cost a lot. If we are going to dip into the free agent pool, which remains to be seen, I think he's one of the better options (along with Neal, Kane and maybe a few others).

Last edited:

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
Adding a good wing or two in free agency is the most straight-forward way to improve this team in the off-season as there will be more good options relative to center and goalie.

I'd like to see them add someone that can skate well to potentially play with Necas as he is a guy that can really move and make plays at top speed.

Ideally go with Staal Lindy and Necas down the middle. Necas on a third line that sheltered but is actually dangerous.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
I think that's two things to consider. :sarcasm:

Yeah, he's not great defensively for sure and his inconsistent effort can be very frustrating so I'm not saying he's a perfect match, nor that he's a better choice than some others, but Canes do take a lot of shots right in front of the net. They just don't have guys that convert, which is where a guy like JVR would come in handy, and why so many have been clamoring for Zykov to get a chance.

I also don't think he's as much of a PP scorer as you imply. In the last 2 seasons, 26% of Aho's goals are on the PP and 25% of JVR's goals are on the PP. 30% of Aho's points are on the PP and 33% of JVR's points are on the PP. Those are pretty reasonable numbers IMO.

I'm not fully sold on JVR. I think he'd help, but he's got some flaws in his game and is going to cost a lot. If we are going to dip into the free agent pool, which remains to be seen, I think he's one of the better options (along with Neal, Kane and maybe a few others).
Technically you are right, I said two things :D

Interesting statistics, I was judging by eye test and how often he get's points on PP this season, but it seems it's not that much as I thought so, good catch.

I agree that he is going to be one of the best options for a winger, I would be fine with a cap hit he will ask for, but that term is gonna kill us in the long run. Just as good we can resign Skinner and hope his next few seasons are bettar than this one + he is younger.
I would give max 4 years to JVR.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Any UFA is going to be a poor investment after the first half of contract. If JVR can be had for 6 years, he might be the answer as he should produce for the first 4 years.

There is some potential in the organization: Zykov, Gauthier, Roy, and Mattheos are natural right shots who can play RW. The left side seems to have both talent (TT--natural side, Skinner, Rask can play LW, as can Wallmark) and depth (Saarela, Kuokkanen, Foegele).
So RW still needs talent--which is why I have been suggesting that the Canes trade down in round 1 and select Kaut. He has been productive in an adult league (actually more so than Necas last season) and in international competition he has had production comparable to Pastrnak and Hertl. He would obviously be 2-3 years away. But Williams might have one more season after next year if the Canes turn into a playoff team.

I don't expect Necas to solve all the problems next season. But given the success of first-year players (DeBrincat, Barzal, Keller), it is reasonable to believe he can compete and produce something like 15/40 next season while centering say Skinner and Lindholm.

The bottom line is that Aho is the answer at C. His first two years in the NHL are quite similar to Tavares from a point standpoint. Year 1: Aho 24g/49 points; JT 24 g/54 points; Year 2: Aho 25g/57 points in 68 games so far; JT 29g/67 points in 79 games. As a center, Aho should increase his assist total. I am pretty sure he was the center at the WJC20 team that won gold and he put up 11 points in 10 games at last year's World Championship centering a less talented Finnish line. All indications are that Aho will be an 80 point per year center.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Similar stats between two players doesn’t mean they should play the same position. I’m not convinced Aho is a center. He may be, but I’m probably going to need to see him play the position for 10 straight games before I believe it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
That said, maybe we need someone that can give us a few good years of scoring and worry about the boat anchor 4 years from now. JVR has been a consist ~30G, ~55+ point forward in Toronto on good teams and bad, and has only 1 season of the last 6 where he's been injured.

For where we are in our development as a team, this is exactly my feeling as well. I readily admit that I've minimized JVRs scoring in the past, but the last couple of years have changed my opinion. He's been the epitome of consistency. You rightly identify the 3 UFA wings that could be targeted.

I still feel we're likely to fill one or two needs in free agency (scoring and goal-tending), but a trade is about the only way we find our missing center.

I would give max 4 years to JVR.

My guess is the Canes will have to overpay in free agency, hopefully not too excessively. One potential remedy is to front-load the deal, so that a significantly lower actual salary is paid in the last 1/2 of the contract, thus making the asset more tradable.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The problem with JVR though is that he does get very sheltered minutes, in the same way Skinner gets sheltered. Given both of them are LW, it means we'd have two LW's who need to be sheltered significantly. Now doubt JVR would help the Canes, but there are some pitfalls. I watch the Leafs a lot and he is a very frustrating player at times. Comes across as lazy defensively and is streaky, like many goal scorers are. Still, he knows how to put the puck in the net close in which is something we lack.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Count me in as one that isn't sold with Aho at Center. From what I understand, he really only played C during the WJC and was a winger in Finland. I think he's smart enough to play C, but not sure he'd be "better" at C. He's an excellent winger.

Re: Necas. I haven't seen enough to really say. Still, what I have seen makes me think C. His speed, vision and ability to make plays at speed seems like C material.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Necas screams C to me, in fact he screams top line C eventually.

Aho... not seeing it, despite how much Peters and Francis talked the idea up, and I'm OK with that. He doesn't have to be a C to be able to take over a game and drive his line.

Lindholm should be given a shot at C to me, especially considering the strength of the upcoming UFA class on the wings compared to up the middle. Could very easily snag 2 wings that could get us back in the playoffs instead of Tavares when he inevitably tells us to shove it during free agency. Wouldn't be opposed to seeing Lindholm back on the wing if we can pull off something around Faulk and Rask for RNH though.

Next year, baring a RNH type acquisition I'd give the following a shot:

Aho - Lindholm - Turbo
UFA - J Staal - Williams
Skinner - Necas - UFA
McGinn - Wallmark - Foegele

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
kane is odd. by all accounts his on ice effort is fine, but he's lost the support of two locker rooms. severe personality misalignment.

also he choked a woman.

Agreed, no interest in Kane. He seems to be a guy that loses the support of his teammates rather easily which makes me think it's more than just his off-ice antics. He seems high risk/high reward but I don't think the balance sheet is tipped in his favor.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
There's actually a pretty deep pool of interesting names this off season. I'm guessing we strike out on Johnny T. But we could quickly change the makeup of the team if we can go out and sign 2-3 of these guys in free agency.

Sign one of Kane, Neal, Kovalchuk, JVR, Stastny

Sign a depth guy - Nash, Maroon, Perron, Grabner

Sign goalie - Raanta please (2 years or less tho)

I also like the ideas of signing a guy like John Carlson (even tho not a position of need) and then immediately after signing him you move Faulk.

Or same thing at the center position. Sign Stastny or Backlund and you immediately move Rask.

A solid way to improve the position and bring back assets shortly afterwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->