Wingers job puck on point on offence

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
Hi folks,

I got really messed up yesterday. I went in to get a puck and my D on my side said he had it so I let him have it. He skated to the blue line on my side The play continued from there as I tried to skate down low. He then said I should have been facing him./ Should I be skating backwards at this point be sideways cut down to the faceoff circle. I just don't know what to do here and cant find a good video that tells me.

Thanks

Last edited:

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Sorry if I'm reading this wrong. I'm having a little trouble picturing what's happening. Are you saying the defensmen skated up and took your man at the point, and when you skated down low to cover his position he complained that you weren't facing the play?

Maybe the defensmen shouldn't run around so much and stay in his own position, especially when someone is already in position to make the play.

What you do is situational, but if I'm reading you correctly, at this point, you're basically switching positions with the other player and you should now be positioning yourself like a defensman. You should be covering the defensman's man.

As for the way you're facing, generally you want to be facing the play, but if you're trying to get into the right spot to cover someone else's position, it might be a good idea to find the player you're now going to cover before worrying about the puck.

You can be facing the play all you want but if someone is open for a tap in, it's probably more important to make sure they're covered.

Cause honestly, the defensman rushing up like that kind of put you both out of position.

Any ways my 2 cents, its worth what you paid.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
For newer players, the offensive zone can be a bit of a circus....

Here's my suggestion :

ALWAYS be facing the puck - don't turn your back on it, even for a second. If your defenceman has the puck on the blueline , always be facing him ready for teh pass / shoot.

ALWAYS find open room - that means, you're constantly avoiding coverage and roaming around to a spot that's open.

ALWAYS be ready to backcheck - this means anticipating the pick or turnover and moving before the play turns over...

Do the ALWAYS' and you'll be fine.

Reactions: RBZ

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Hi folks,

I got really messed up yesterday. I went in to get a puck and my D on my side said he had it so I let him have it. He skated to the blue line on my side The play continued from there as I tried to skate down low. He then said I should have been facing him./ Should I be skating backwards at this point be sideways cut down to the faceoff circle. I just don't know what to do here and cant find a good video that tells me.

Thanks

There's no one answer because hockey is such a dynamic game and every situation is different. You have to read the play and make decisions based on those reads. We obviously can't see the exact play you are referring to and i'm having a tough time understanding it based on your post.

Was it a situation where the Dman was pinching or activating in the offensive zone for a loose puck? If so, there's a chance you'd want to cover his point position that he just vacated. If this was like a clean offensive zone draw that went to the defenseman, you'd either want to perhaps drive the net for a tip or rebound or find open ice for a passing option.

It's tough to say what the right read or play might have been without seeing the play.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm guessing the dman pinched in to the half boards and you turned your back to skate to the net? In which case since you didn't drop back to cover he probably wanted an option for a short pass along the boards to the goal line, where you'd need to be facing him. If he was challenged there and had no play but to fire it at the net there's a risk it bounces the wrong way and he's out of position that can quickly turn into an odd man rush.

Going to the net is good but you don't want to always do that, sometimes it's better to peel off to the side.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
On further reflection what happened is our d man skated the puck end end and when it got rimmed back I went to catch it and guess he was heading back to his spot and took it. I should have taken a few hard crossovers and faced him I guess. That much said please find photo attached. I'm the red dot he's the blue dot. We got to the puck at the same time and then I wasn't sure where to or what way to turn.

Thanks for any more advice.

Attachments

• MemoDraw_JPEG_20181129_214413_.png
    MemoDraw_JPEG_20181129_214413_.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 43

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I'm still having a hard time understanding the play you are trying to describe. So, your dman had and lost the puck deep in the offensive zone, you were covering his spot on the point, then the puck was thrown off the boards. You both cut off the puck at the same time?

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I'd say that you don't always have to be facing him, but if you are in position to receive a pass, give him a good clear target to hit. Stick on the ice, tape out so he knows where you want the puck.

jetsfan23

Jan 19, 2014
Manitoba
I'm still having a hard time understanding the play you are trying to describe. So, your dman had and lost the puck deep in the offensive zone, you were covering his spot on the point, then the puck was thrown off the boards. You both cut off the puck at the same time?

Correct. We both got to the puck at the same time.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Correct. We both got to the puck at the same time.
Ideally that shouldn't happen. If you realize you and a teammate are both going for a loose puck, one of you should say either I've got it or yours or something like that. Then the player who isn't going to retrieve the puck can cover the point or otherwise get in position to receive a pass or a rebound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->