Windsor Spitfires 2020 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Be lucky if a season at all.
I of course are like most folks and really, really want to see a season. But windsor7 I think you are correct some positive developments to deal with the past 4-6 weeks of negative developments is going to need to occur before we see hockey restart. You can’t put players in a season long bubble like the NHL did for a couple of months in order to award a Stanley Cup recipient.

Not to mention the CHL playing in front of empty seats still doesn’t make for a financially viable alternative IMO? Unless TSN / Sportsnet are so desperate for content they will pay up for the TV programming privledge?

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
You know what they say “you are either a London Knights fan or you want to be a London Knights fan!” Please before I get flamed by everyone it’s a joke don’t be grouchy! LOL ....

Very funny joke. Lol
But im neither. Lol

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I of course are like most folks and really, really want to see a season. But windsor7 I think you are correct some positive developments to deal with the past 4-6 weeks of negative developments is going to need to occur before we see hockey restart. You can’t put players in a season long bubble like the NHL did for a couple of months in order to award a Stanley Cup recipient.

Not to mention the CHL playing in front of empty seats still doesn’t make for a financially viable alternative IMO? Unless TSN / Sportsnet are so desperate for content they will pay up for the TV programming privledge?

I just don't see what the end game is. Sportsnet won't be desperate for content because most likely come Dec/Jan the NHL/NBA will be in full swing. The only thing the OHL/CHL is sitting on is Ontario hosting the Memorial Cup but it would be very ambitious to even have fans in the stands at that point. We are technically 10 days away from players reporting but I don't believe that will happen at that point. At this point it just seems they are kicking the can down the road and that isn't a strategy either.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
WJC scheduled to start Dec 25th. It will be interesting to see how Hockey Canada will assemble a competitive team that the majority of the players who have not played competitive hockey in 9 months. Pick a team based on paper only it would seem. Will be an advantage to the European teams who their players are and have been playing this fall. Yikes. I still wonder if it will happen. Funds are there with the t.v. coverage but I would think it will have to be a bubble atmosphere and all opposing teams would have to be here 14 days earlier to quarantine.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The European teams will probably have some help from the players who have already started. The question is how much of an advantage will it be. My guess/hope is that Canadian and American players will find ways to train on-ice, as competitively as possible, prior to the start of the WJC.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The European teams will probably have some help from the players who have already started. The question is how much of an advantage will it be. My guess/hope is that Canadian and American players will find ways to train on-ice, as competitively as possible, prior to the start of the WJC.

How?
U can inly practice so much.
Practice much different than a actual game

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
How?
U can inly practice so much.
Practice much different than a actual game

How what? Canadians finding a way to get competitive training or Europeans having somewhat of a head-start because of their leagues starting already? I know you want to disagree with me, but I want to make sure I understand what you're disagreeing with.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
How what? Canadians finding a way to get competitive training or Europeans having somewhat of a head-start because of their leagues starting already? I know you want to disagree with me, but I want to make sure I understand what you're disagreeing with.

I understand euros head start.
I dont see canadians being competitive

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

USA players that might end up playing for their WJ team have started their under 18 season at least exhibition. They have played 5 games thus far. Other players that may play on that team in the NCAA a lot of them will start up in 2 weeks from now.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
WJC scheduled to start Dec 25th. It will be interesting to see how Hockey Canada will assemble a competitive team that the majority of the players who have not played competitive hockey in 9 months. Pick a team based on paper only it would seem. Will be an advantage to the European teams who their players are and have been playing this fall. Yikes. I still wonder if it will happen. Funds are there with the t.v. coverage but I would think it will have to be a bubble atmosphere and all opposing teams would have to be here 14 days earlier to quarantine.

Seen someone say they're doing a month long camp in the bubble in Edmonton

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
USA players that might end up playing for their WJ team have started their under 18 season at least exhibition. They have played 5 games thus far. Other players that may play on that team in the NCAA a lot of them will start up in 2 weeks from now.

They're still going to be a fair bit behind the rest, though.

Practice doesnt get u there.

You adjust as best you can right now.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Short a a huge change in this mess we’re in I don’t see a CHL season happening. Playing within the rules the want to impose isn’t going to help any player!! Empty or close to it arenas don’t pay bills. I see players going wherever they can to play this season. That said I believe if that occurs, it severely harms the entire junior program in Can!

Reactions: Cherrydon

EnjoytheO

Keeping up
Aug 11, 2017
GTA
So reports say that OHL will allow 30 players to camp, if one happens. Anyone remember how many were there last year? Doesn’t leave a lot of room for free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->