Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Wasn't it floated on here at the deadline about Brahaney and Burnie being possible trade targets before Windsor picked up Garagan? I don't think either one would be an upgrade at this point so it wouldn't make much sense.

My guess is Frasca to Kingston for the rumoured 6th round pick and nothing in return player wise at this point since Windsor has the bodies to fill the roster.

burnie is out of the ohl, so i dont think thats a fit. brahaney while better then cameron would be costly, why not target an 01/00 instead.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

Didn't realize Burnie had moved on, thanks.

In the end my main point is if there's not a clear upgrade now with a vet or for the future there's no point in adding for the sake of adding.

I agree and have said in the past right now this team should not be spending assets for a slight upgrade at any position unless they are acquiring a higher return elsewhere.

Stevenson as a seventh D is fine if it saves a mid round pick and ensures Robinson and Jodoin, if he earns some games aren't blocked by someone who is a marginal upgrade on Stevenson.

I would've been fine with Garagan as the thirteenth forward if it meant Boka and Purboo were being moved for assets or part of a deal for a younger player with upside and term left.

I think the challenge this year is addition, picks/players through subtraction, moving vets etc out without digging into their current draft picks they have in the cupboard.

A couple of 01/02 additions would be nice, preferably from within so they can keep the focus on development/taking the next step while maximizing returns on players who won't be here next year so they have the young talent and draft capital to make some noise the next couple of years.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The weird thing is that Windsor has had a pretty solid history of bringing in OAs. I have no real issues IF he comes at a reasonable price and IF there's a corresponding move that makes sense (given we'd have seven regular D-men).

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
correct. if hes not good enough to be on barrie (and i really dont think he is) why bother blocking the development of someone else? if it was a 2000 then perhaps it would make sense. its just changing deck chairs on the titanic, its not going to be that impactful of a move.

Sounds logical.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Didn't realize Burnie had moved on, thanks.

In the end my main point is if there's not a clear upgrade now with a vet or for the future there's no point in adding for the sake of adding.

I agree and have said in the past right now this team should not be spending assets for a slight upgrade at any position unless they are acquiring a higher return elsewhere.

Stevenson as a seventh D is fine if it saves a mid round pick and ensures Robinson and Jodoin, if he earns some games aren't blocked by someone who is a marginal upgrade on Stevenson.

I would've been fine with Garagan as the thirteenth forward if it meant Boka and Purboo were being moved for assets or part of a deal for a younger player with upside and term left.

I think the challenge this year is addition, picks/players through subtraction, moving vets etc out without digging into their current draft picks they have in the cupboard.

A couple of 01/02 additions would be nice, preferably from within so they can keep the focus on development/taking the next step while maximizing returns on players who won't be here next year so they have the young talent and draft capital to make some noise the next couple of years.

i guess id rather just figure out if this group can make it vs bringing someone like cameron in just to say we brought the guy in. we have 7d already, they can let robinson be the 7 and work him in when needed. at this point with the experience that guys like staios/ladd have had, they shouldnt need an older one and done oa, we've done that two straight years, we shoudlnt need to do that year 3 if we are drafting and trading effectively. now, if you want to move corcoran and replace him with cameron, perhaps i could get behind what if you net a few high pics, but thats hard to see at this point.

i know ill get trolled for this and so be it, but they also need to sort out the room. graduations should help, but it cant be like it was last year.

i dont really think you need to add anyone, the progress will come from the youth earning more and being given more. the focus needs to be on cuylle/fouty/mcdonald/johnston. anyone or anything that takes away from their ice time and development needs to be moved out.

i dont see bowlers doing anything, he seems to be more of a sit back and wait mentality vs a lets get aggressive and commit early type. well see if thats bad or good, but id perfer the sit back at this point, we still need to figure out exactly who is what, not put older guys who wont be part of a championship core in the way of them.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Kingston—On Monday, the Kingston Frontenacs acquired Jordan Frasca from the Windsor Spitfires in exchange for a 6th round pick in 2022.
Frasca, a 6.01, 175 lbs. forward from Caledon, ON spent the 2018-19 season with the Windsor Spitfires. In 60 games he scored 9 goals and 14 assists for 23 points. He turned 18 on July 5.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Kingston—On Monday, the Kingston Frontenacs acquired Jordan Frasca from the Windsor Spitfires in exchange for a 6th round pick in 2022.
Frasca, a 6.01, 175 lbs. forward from Caledon, ON spent the 2018-19 season with the Windsor Spitfires. In 60 games he scored 9 goals and 14 assists for 23 points. He turned 18 on July 5.

the pick is in 2022? thats even worse then initally hoped.

i think we witnessed that the trade market took a step back last year, but wow, thats a tough deal. bowlers was in a no win after the kid asked out, but i think we all understand why he asked out. too bad, hell be a good player in kingston.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Wow 2022??? So drafted in 2017 traded today and now have to wait 3 drafts to see what it becomes unless they can move that pick for something productive??

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
the pick is in 2022? thats even worse then initally hoped.

i think we witnessed that the trade market took a step back last year, but wow, thats a tough deal. bowlers was in a no win after the kid asked out, but i think we all understand why he asked out. too bad, hell be a good player in kingston.

The market for him looked small.
Windsor has no leverage with anyone.
Gm is wet behind the ears.
More deals will look like this example if they present themselves

Good luck Frasca.
Hope u will do very well in Kingston.
U weren't going to get a chance with this system Windsor currently has.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
A few tweets vis OHL insiders this Am

A couple former Windsor Spitfires personnel have landed roles with other #OHL teams.
Matt Moran - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Brian Teakle - Owen Sound Attack
Bowler making room for his own staff, as he has a right to do.
Further to this, sounds as though Dan Currie has also found a new home with the Oshawa Generals.
Nice to see these guys land after the last few months.
#OHL
***** Looks as if the scouting staff is being gutted. My question is will they be replaced or is this just a cost saving move.

Last edited:
Reactions: randomhero4life

member 71782

So I think Bowler has his roster set with signed/returning players after this deal. I would imagine Jodoin to LaSalle, Incze moved/released would leave 13Fs/7D/2G with 3 OAs and 2 Imports. I don't know if anyone has any expectations of anyone really getting a shot coming out of camp, we'll see but if not this deal brings him to a full roster, with a couple of spares and a D call up already signed. Outside of Maggio and Afanasyev being added along with a couple of rookies signed, Frasca out we have pretty much the same roster we had last year.

Forwards (13)
WSR 2015 5th RND (95) Luke Boka – 1999/0612 – RW – R – 5’11” – 200 (OA/Undrafted)
WSR 2015 9th RND (163) Cole Purboo – 1999/06/18 – RW – R – 6’3” – 221 (OA/Undrafted)
WSR 2016 4th RND (75) Chris Playfair – 2000/05/31 – LW – L – 6’1” – 182 (Draft Eligible 2020)
BAR 2016 4th RND (76) Curtis Douglas – 2000/03/06 – C – L – 6’9” – 250 (Drafted Dallas)
WSR 2016 6th RND (114) Tyler Angle – 2000/09/30 – C – L – 5’9” – 168 (Drafted Columbus)
WSR 2017 6th RND (106) Daniel D’Amico – 2001/01/25 – C – L – 5’9” – 178 (Draft Eligible 2020)
OTT 2017 6th RND (109) Egor Afanasyev – 2001/01/23 – LW – L – 6’4” – 210 (Drafted Nashville)
PTB 2018 1st RND (3) Will Cuylle – 2002/05/02 – LW – L – 6’2” – 200 (Draft Eligible 2020)
WSR 2018 1st RND (10) Jean-Luc Foudy – 2002/05/13 – C – R – 5’11” – 163 – (Draft Eligible 2020)
WSR 2018 2nd RND (25) Kyle McDonald – 2002/02/05 – RW – R – 6’4” – 186 (Draft Eligible 2020)
OTT 2018 5th RND (86) Matt Maggio – 2002/11/25 – RW – R – 5’10” – 169 (Draft Eligible 2021)
WSR 2019 1st RND (6) Wyatt Johnston – 2003/05/14 – C – R – 5’11” – 152 (Draft Eligible 2021)
WSR 2019 2nd RND (41) Zito Pasquale – 2003/06/01 – C – L – 5’11” – 170 (Draft Eligible 2021)

Defence (8)
WSR 2015 10th RND (183) Thomas Stevenson – 1999/10/14 – D – L – 6’2” – 200 (OA/Undrafted)
WSR 2016 2nd RND (21) Connor Corcoran – 2000/08/07 – D – R – 6’2” – 193 (Drafted Vegas)
WSR 2017 1st RND (17) Nathan Staios – 2001/05/17 – D – L – 5’8” – 168 (Draft Eligible 2020)
KIT 2017 1st RND (13) Grayson Ladd – 2001/03/01 – D – R – 6’1” – 171 – (Draft Eligible 2020)
WSR 2017 5th RND (96) Louka Henault – 2001/01/31 – D – L – 6’0” – 178 (Draft Eligible2020)
WSR 2018 3rd RND (45) Dylan Robinson – 2002/05/03 – D – L – 6’3” – 183 (Draft Eligible 2020)
WSR 2019 4th RND (67) James Jodoin – 2003/02/04 – D – R – 6’3” – 190 (Draft Eligible 2021) Likely assigned to Lasalle
WSR 2019 IMP 1st RND (14) Ruben Rafkin – 2002/01/08 – RD – R – 6’0” – 188 Import/(Draft Eligible 2020)

Goaltenders (3)
NIA 2015 5th RND (92) Colton Incze – 1999/01/31 – G – L – 6’2” – 200 – (OA/Undrafted) Likely dealt, released or moves on to OUA.
WSR 2018 3rd RND (59) Xavier Medina – 2002/01/20 – G – L – 5’10” – 163 (Draft Eligible 2020)
WSR 2018 IMP 1st RND (30) Kari Piiroinen – 2001/07/01 – G – L – 6’1” – 176 (Import/Draft Eligible 2020)

A few tweets vis OHL insiders this Am

A couple former Windsor Spitfires personnel have landed roles with other #OHL teams.
Matt Moran - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds
Brian Teakle - Owen Sound Attack
Bowler making room for his own staff, as he has a right to do.
Further to this, sounds as though Dan Currie has also found a new home with the Oshawa Generals.
Nice to see these guys land after the last few months.
#OHL

No issue with wanting to make some changes within the operations/scouting areas. The question is beyond Sykes will anyone else be brought in to replace them?

Reactions: punch1943

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I was hoping the deal would have been for an earlier pick, but maybe they can use the 2022 pick for added assets during a title run. Hoping camp isn't as cut-and-dry as it appears to be. Get some new faces in here that at least challenge for a spot. This club DOES have a good FA track record...

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
This training camp is cut and dry. Not a lot of spots available, but none the less will make for some good scrimmages. The roster that you think will be set.....is honestly exactly right. I was talking to some friends of mine over beers the oth day and we were talking about the roster for this upcoming season. Everyone of my friends follow the team on a regular basis and they are all pretty stoked......I notice that not can be really said on here (not shocking) . One thing that a lot of fans over look is other teams rosters, other teams departures. The Spits have really good offence on paper, the D is dedicated to be better, they are going to put the work in. As for goaltending.....that is the only concern I have. I will be attending the camp and will let the eye test work it's magic. Really imho the goaltending situation is not set. I have no doubt in my mind that Medina want's the starting job, this is going to be the competition this year. Really looking forward to seeing Johnson & Zito show what they got. Also get ready to see Rafkin show why he is on the radar, he plays a physical game and can hit like a Mack Truck!!

Reactions: OHLTG

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Hard to guess who that might be unless we get some indication who will be attending the camp.
BTW it appears no one is looking after the Spit web site. Nothing at all about Frasca on the site. No news regarding the mass exodus of
scouts to greener pastures. No changes to the roster page.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The lack of info on the Frasca trade was something I noticed this morning when I had to RT the Fronts' tweet instead. Not sure why it's like that; hopefully nothing serious is going on.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I hope they tear it up, but my dislike of TL will not let me get past hopeful. D still concerning. Forwards, if Boka and Purboo are handled right and TL opens them up a bit should be very good. My gut says goaltending will be better then expected. Frasca return is a joke. The behind the scenes guys let go plays right into my info. Team is shedding every extra non essential body. Will be sold next year to a group who already has staff in place so no need to replace them now. Same with business staff, it’s being run very thin. While I have hope this year, if my info is right it’s a smoke screen for what’s really going on.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Hard to guess who that might be unless we get some indication who will be attending the camp.
BTW it appears no one is looking after the Spit web site. Nothing at all about Frasca on the site. No news regarding the mass exodus of
scouts to greener pastures. No changes to the roster page.

Not shocking at all.
Seems run like the pr department. Terrible.

Reactions: ohl17

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
With Frasca gone, now our fifth round pick should really have a good chance of making the team.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This training camp is cut and dry. Not a lot of spots available, but none the less will make for some good scrimmages. The roster that you think will be set.....is honestly exactly right. I was talking to some friends of mine over beers the oth day and we were talking about the roster for this upcoming season. Everyone of my friends follow the team on a regular basis and they are all pretty stoked......I notice that not can be really said on here (not shocking) . One thing that a lot of fans over look is other teams rosters, other teams departures. The Spits have really good offence on paper, the D is dedicated to be better, they are going to put the work in. As for goaltending.....that is the only concern I have. I will be attending the camp and will let the eye test work it's magic. Really imho the goaltending situation is not set. I have no doubt in my mind that Medina want's the starting job, this is going to be the competition this year. Really looking forward to seeing Johnson & Zito show what they got. Also get ready to see Rafkin show why he is on the radar, he plays a physical game and can hit like a Mack Truck!!

I have never understood how people say "we can't say positive things" that's been mentioned 2-3 times in the last 2 days and those people have been positive.

Trust me I don't think a lot of fans over look other teams rosters and what they return. Does anyone here believe Windsor has the talent of London/Kitchener/Saginaw???

I would also say a lot of opinions are based upon what's also returning with the coaching staff. Do we even know if Letowski is the type of coach that Bowler wants? We need to remember this is the coach Rychel wanted not the coach Bowler wanted.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
I hope they tear it up, but my dislike of TL will not let me get past hopeful. D still concerning. Forwards, if Boka and Purboo are handled right and TL opens them up a bit should be very good. My gut says goaltending will be better then expected. Frasca return is a joke. The behind the scenes guys let go plays right into my info. Team is shedding every extra non essential body. Will be sold next year to a group who already has staff in place so no need to replace them now. Same with business staff, it’s being run very thin. While I have hope this year, if my info is right it’s a smoke screen for what’s really going on.

How in the world would you know of another group that is going to take over this team?

It is obvious that this team will be run on a shoestring budget. It should be another interesting draft with very few scouts doing the work required.

I hope the Spits don't bottom out!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
How in the world would you know of another group that is going to take over this team?

It is obvious that this team will be run on a shoestring budget. It should be another interesting draft with very few scouts doing the work required.

I hope the Spits don't bottom out!

The whole buying and selling thing is interesting. Current ownership wants to build up the value from what it was. So they obviously want a very good product this year, one that is extremely successful. Buyers want a team that they can get real good value for in a sale. In other words if they bottomed out a buyer wouldn't be that discouraged. Current ownership may not want to sell in that case. Most likely they settle in the middle and this time next year there are probably new owners. Just remember when the Savage brothers said they would be introducing new things to increase the fan experience. Well that was nothing but lip service. In other words in order to do that it costs money and this organization at the current time doesn't want to spend that type of money.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Colton Incze ....The Brantford 99ers are pleased to welcome '99 born goaltender Colton Incze @CI0031 to the team. Incze comes to the 99ers from the Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->