Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
If true, why? Season tickets are down both renewal and new, the drama created etc.

The Savage’s were rumoured to be the catalyst to sell. Why buy more now? Easier way to off load in the future since they have the power?
I don’t think it was Cypher that wanted out. More likely BB or WR. And from what i’ve heard it was more WR.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
BREAKING: The Cypher Systems Group (CSG) — John Savage, his brother Stephen Savage and Brian Schwab — will now take a controlling interest of the club.
there is a change in the local ownership of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) team.
The Cypher Systems Group (CSG) — John Savage, his brother Stephen Savage and Brian Schwab — will now take a controlling interest of the club.
A statement released Thursday said "after much thoughtful discussion with several potential buyers, we have concluded that it is in the best interest of the Spitfires for ownership to remain within the existing group. We have determined that CSG will take both a controlling interest in the club, as well as a more participatory role in its operation."
However, the CSG owners — who also own the LaSalle Vipers of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey Leage and the Lakeshore Canadians of the Provincial Junior Hockey Leage — are not commenting on how much of a stake they are taking in the club. There is also no information on the shares owned by Bob Boughner and Warren Rychel, who have owned the Spitfires since 2006.
No financial terms have been announced, and the deal is still subject to approval by the OHL Board of Governors, which meets next week.
Boughner is a two-time OHL Coach of the Year with the Spitfires while Rychel has been the General Manager of the team since taking over as part owner.
The Spitfires have won Memorial Cups in 2009, 2010 and 2017.
The statement goes on to say "The Windsor Spitfires are enthusiastic about the 2019-20 season. Our team has an incredibly strong player lineup, which will see a few changes to round out the roster and deliver the hockey experience our fans deserve. Additionally, we will be adding and improving elements within the rink to elevat our overall fan experience."
The current ownership group earlier released a statement in April confirming discussions were underway for the sale of the club.
It was believed that Dr. Azim Parekh, the Founder and CEO of the Smiles First Corporation in Markham, was the buyer after the Spitfires drafted his two sons in the spring.
Windsor used the fifth pick in the Under-18 Draft to select Aydin Parekh, a 5-foot-9, 190 pound defenceman. The Spits also selected his younger brother Isa Parekh, a 5-foot-9, 113 pound defenceman, in the annual Priority Selection.
Calls to Dr. Parekh have not been returned.
Boughner, Rychel and Peter Dobrich purchased the Spitfires team from Steve Riolo on April 6, 2006.
John and Stephen Savage and Brian Schwab purchased a stake in the Spitfires in May 2013 as Dobrich sold his share of the franchise.
The statement goes on to say "CGS has demonstrated their proven commitment to the Windsor community over the past 35 years, not only through their various business ventures, but most recently through their investment in the revitalization of the downtown core and the rehabilitation of a number of buildings include the Old Fish Market, among others."

Oldspitsfan

Nov 24, 2013
Have announcements been made concerning coaching this year? If Bowler becomes GM, how will that change from Reichels direction. Can we assume that the draft picks will signed soon? I also wonder if ticket prices will be affected. I’m trying to rationalize why I should renew my tickets but I’m still not there yet

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
If true, why? Season tickets are down both renewal and new, the drama created etc.

The Savage’s were rumoured to be the catalyst to sell. Why buy more now? Easier way to off load in the future since they have the power?

youd have to think that the rumours were incorrect if they are now taking on more equity

Never heard that Warren was stepping down - where did that info come from?

if he wanted to stick around, why would he sell? its been rumoured for a while that he was leaving, this transaction plays to that direction vs the 'staying' narrative

Cypher Systems Group will control a huge majority. Expect Rychel to step down. Bowler to take over hockey operations. Announcement will be soon rather than later.

that makes alot of sense

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
youd have to think that the rumours were incorrect if they are now taking on more equity

if he wanted to stick around, why would he sell? its been rumoured for a while that he was leaving, this transaction plays to that direction vs the 'staying' narrative

that makes alot of sense

They could stick around a year or two while still shopping the team. Than sell it u never know. Majority owner now.
Not sure if things r on solid ground more than it was or not???
There coukd always be the what if?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This all got announced when I was out so haven't had a chance to digest, but I haven't heard that Warren is getting out. I've heard the opposite, in fact.

From the little bit I've read, it definitely sounds like the media/fan feedback played a part in all of this. Kind of an "I didn't expect THAT reaction..." thing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
This all got announced when I was out so haven't had a chance to digest, but I haven't heard that Warren is getting out. I've heard the opposite, in fact.

From the little bit I've read, it definitely sounds like the media/fan feedback played a part in all of this. Kind of an "I didn't expect THAT reaction..." thing.

Parekh didn't meet the financial obligations end of story.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The explanation in the paper gives another story and it could easily be "little from A', little from B." There's no reason to believe the paper stuff is a lie.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Au contrair, mon ami. We will have a number of announcements to make shortly.

IMHO...the over/under for moves in June is 5.

Here’s a couple predictions for you.
A) I expect the following will remain on the Spit staff..
Dr. Roger Shaban – Team Dentist
Dr. Richard Stapleford – Oral Surgeon
Read into that what you will...

B) OHL insiders will remove their pinned tweet..

Where have you gone, Mr. Legend
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you
Wu wu wu
What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson
Mr. Legend has left and gone away ...
Bravo on the bolded and calling that a few days ago! He took the shot in January (I believe) with that prediction and missed... but I'm sure that will quietly get swept under his rug.

Overall, it's great to hear the Spits' ownership change is done and that a group with proven local vested interest are the ones who bought the majority stake in the team. Congrats Spits fans!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
The explanation in the paper gives another story and it could easily be "little from A', little from B." There's no reason to believe the paper stuff is a lie.

the paper doesnt explain anything, correct? they simply directly quote savage, who is somewhat in damage control.

i have no idea either way, but parker didnt dig, he just printed what the pr release said

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Savage a business man isn't going to out another business man and say he didn't have the money. That would look very foolish on his part and make him look bad in the process. You never talk about another person's financial situation in the media when talking business.

The article was the first step in trying to mend fences with the fan base. What better way than start with...

But as word leaked out in April, the reaction to the proposed sale was not positive from the community.
“No,” Savage said fan feedback, “and that comes into consideration as to who is taking over the team. If I said Wayne Gretzky was coming over to by the team, the fans would be going (fist pump).
“Here’s an unknown commodity, the entity was out of Toronto, what does that mean, and that was part of the overall consideration when you look to sell to someone. Again, it wasn’t us reaching out, they came to us and we’ll entertain it. Part of that weight is what it means to the local community.”

Later on he says.....

“It was a growing expectation it would get concluded,” Savage said. “We were given the same courtesy to (Parekh’s) organization. If we had concluded to them, it should be their draft. We’ll allow your son to be drafted.”

Why would Boughner say they were deep into negotiations and then it fell apart??? Considering he says as well they have had many offers but never went further. What would make them go further in negotiations this time????

Hey put a feather in your hat if you want to give yourself credit because I know you love to do that.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You never talk about another person's financial situation in the media when talking business.

There are ways to go around this without changing the reality. "Things changed on his end and the deal had to be canceled." Easy. It has nothing to do with credit for me. I'm literally going by what I saw in the paper.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
There are ways to go around this without changing the reality. "Things changed on his end and the deal had to be canceled." Easy. It has nothing to do with credit for me. I'm literally going by what I saw in the paper.

the newspaper lie?
what a concept. oh gosh. hahaha

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
the paper doesnt explain anything, correct? they simply directly quote savage, who is somewhat in damage control.

i have no idea either way, but parker didnt dig, he just printed what the pr release said

The paper gives some explanation, but I will say that I wish there was more digging. I've got questions myself and few answers.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The paper gives some explanation, but I will say that I wish there was more digging. I've got questions myself and few answers.

The paper has to walk a fine line.
Most questions wont get answered unless u r with the team.
Dont hold your breath

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol wow that’s some tremendous damage control!!! No WR didn’t want to sell his stake isn’t worth much frankly. This was driven by savage at the start and he has been able to save face. Yes the CHL got involved. I’m hearing WR stays. Also hearing the team is still for sale but if it happens it won’t be to someone looking for a folly. There’s a whole lot going on behind the scenes and it will continue for some time. This isn’t over I’m being told. Savages and WR-BB don’t get along great that’s no secret. Looks like they all decided to be lay nice and not out anyone. It has Branch’s input all over it! Now let’s find a coach lol.

Reactions: scokan and OHLTG

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I think what was said by OHL insiders was WR was stepping away from ownership not GM job. At least that’s how I read it. Then again I think that was his take.
Warren is to maintain his job for now as GM. I think stability in the public eye is important for all of the owners and management. Need to win the fan base back. Will there be changes in the future, for sure but all are biting the bullet for now until the dust settles. Winning will keep jobs, losing will not.

Reactions: Teflon and OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad