Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldbarn Newhay

Mar 31, 2016
The "Fire Trevor" chant was the highlight of the night.

Was this a team that was looking ahead to tomorrow or a team that has been left behind by not improving at the deadline. I am also convinced that Louca Henault is the left shark.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This was a team that is looking at tomorrow. They've done this before; stink up a "should win" game that's before the "big" one, so to speak.

I don't agree with firing Letowski. He's done wonders this season. Why he's going back to his old defensive habits, I don't know, but we all know he's been good up to this point (in the general sense).

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I’m not sure it was the team looking forward to tomorrow. They couldn’t get up for nationally televised game against same team last Thursday and followed that up with another bad game against the sting. This is their third bad game in a row. If they have 2 more i will start getting worried. Also i will start questioning the coaching if henault doesn’t sour a game. He was on for like 3 or 4 goals and it was his penalty they scored on. He also was on the ice for multiple odd man rushes.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The team was doing well in spite of TL!!! The D is brutal but that’s not new either. My gut tells me the team is in for a big slide. Hope not.

Reactions: windsor7

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I could start talking about the guys that didn’t play good, but that would be a long post.
I liked Johnston, maggio and Zito tonight.
I appreciate DAmicos hustle and I like that Boka, Douglas, Cuylle has become a checking line.

I think I’ll pass on paying for OHL Neulion tomorrow lol

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not surprised Windsor plays their worst game of the season last night and knives come out.
Also the 1st time Windsor loses to Flint this season in regulation. Case of one team playing a great game Flint,and the other a bad game.
Will be this a trend,this current team hasn't shown it thus far,time will tell.
Gotta admit despite a poor 1st 2 periods,when Windsor made it 6-3,thought this could be interesting, the 7th goal,the only bad one Tovell allowed sealed the deal,and the Spits for the 1st time this season lost a game by more then 3 goals,the last team in the league to do so btw.
From a team perspective bury it and move on,learn from it,rest of the weekend should be interesting.
One game doth not make season win or lose last night.

Reactions: Teflon and Buttsy

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Not surprised Windsor plays their worst game of the season last night and knives come out.
Also the 1st time Windsor loses to Flint this season in regulation. Case of one team playing a great game Flint,and the other a bad game.
Gotta admit despite a poor 1st 2 periods,when Windsor made it 6-3,thought this could be interesting, the 7th goal,the only bad one Tovell allowed sealed the deal,and the Spits for the 1st time this season lost a game by more then 3 goals,the last team in the league to do so btw.
From a team perspective bury it and move on,learn from it,rest of the weekend should be interesting.
Well its been a bad 3 game stretch that has people a little worried i think.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Well they didnt play well last Thursday either n barely snuck by sarnia. Guess those dont count?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Here is a great stat at shows the idiocy of awarding 1 point to a team that loses .. The Spitfires are currently 4th in the West with 61 points.

They have the second best point % in the league at .693
I don’t particularly care for the system either, but if you take away losers points, Windsor would still be in a tie for 3rd with Kitchener right now with Flint only 2pts behind them.

Reactions: Toldyaso

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I don’t particularly care for the system either, but if you take away losers points, Windsor would still be in a tie for 3rd with Kitchener right now with Flint only 2pts behind them.

Under the old system with zero points for a loss and 1 point for a tie (meaning all current shoot out wins and losses receive 1 point) Windsor would be 5th in the Western Conference 3 points behind Flint and 4 points up on Guelph

Reactions: Toldyaso

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
another poor performance at home, team didnt seem ready to play, maybe instead of the players goofing around walking and shooting on the ice pre warm they should be in the room mentally preparing themselves. felt bad for medina being hung out to dry like that he didnt have much of a chance out there,
I didnt hear any fire letowski chants at the game either.
they better have a better performance tonight or it will be ugly.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Darn flu, corona beer virus, coaching, etc.,! :naughty::laugh:

At least I am 5/5 so far lol

Looking forward to some more in depth technical analysis of game. Will be interesting to see how they finish the next few weeks

member 71782

Why are so many surprised at how things have been trending?

This game is not a one off, this three game stretch isn't an isolated stretch either.

This team is coming back to reality and we're seeing what some of us have said all year.

Too many people and I think that includes the players/coaches/management as well have been watching the standings and ignoring the play of this team.

This a team that has improved a fair amount over last year. They've become a good team that's taken the next step in the process but they're not and never have been a team that should be talked about as a contender this year.

Last night they were embarrassed, against Sarnia they were fortunate to get a win and against London they were embarrassed. What else has gone on this year?

Since the break they've been fortunate in a lot of wins moreso than good.

Before the break after their win streak they had stretches where they were fortunate to win some of the games they did while losing some they should have been able to win.

During their win streak/point streak the first half of it they were fortunate to win some of those games, the second half of it they played consistent for a stretch of six or seven games.

Before the win streak they played similar to how they have since that win streak ended. What we're seeing is what this has been all year except for a six or seven game stretch and four or five other very good games. The standings show one thing and their play through almost three quarters of their games show something completely different.

This team is likely to go around .500 the rest of the year, slightly above as they have most of the year minus eleven or so games of very good hockey. That's a team that has made solid improvements over the last two years but when it comes to being a contender they're still in the pretender category. This team has faced very little adversity this year in terms of being short handed etc. They've had multiple stretches off poor play that hasn't been reflected in their record.

I've said all year and still say it this is a team that will be in a battle for fifth, should finish in fifth and if they put it all together have the potential to upset their first round opponent.

Bowler or someone believed the hype and missed a chance at the deadline, it happens when you look at the press clippings instead of the substance. That'll hurt going forward the next couple of seasons if the talent continues to progress.

Letowski has gone back to old habits since the deadline, playing not to lose instead of playing to win and starting to go back to the vets in situations he shouldn't instead of going to what's worked at times throughout the year. That'll hurt the rest of the year.

Everything has gone as close to perfect for this team this year as it could have with this roster and we're seeing that if there's any push back from their opponent they aren't capable of responding without a break. They haven't learned how to create their own breaks yet and with other teams improving the breaks aren't simply going to come to them much more.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Last night, Spits out worked, defense caught pinching way too often. This is a problem that's been really evident all season but moreso recently. I felt Flint laid off the gas a bit late second probably thinking 3 games in 3 as well. Then the Spits got a couple and Flint stepped up their pressure again after the Spits 3rd goal. I think now teams tightening up 2nd half of the season, every game is going to be a challenge. Kinda follow the Leafs pattern, lots of offense if givin the room but overall team defense way to weak to hang in. Add an opposition's goalie playing hot and doomsday will be a coming. Let's be honest, Medina saved the day in Sarnia. The opposition out shot us. It's coming down to if our goalies have an average outing, chances our we come out on the short end. Kinda looks similar to when we had Mikey. I guess that's due to most of our vets learned bad habits young when they had MD behind them. Same group of vets. Really not surprising.Our penalty kill has been bad all season. 17th place is terrible for a contending team. Even Sarnia is just above us in that category. Picture this team if Afanaseyev didn't sign. Good grief.Thankfully Johnston & Zito have emerged. Probably best 2 players last 3 games combined. Too many streaky forwards. Either hot or cold. But lately too much ice.

member 71782

Interesting stat from last night's game.

In his last ten games before last night Angle had five points. It shows he's cooled off a bit. They took it one step further though. In eight of those ten games he had no points. That to me highlights the consistency issues.

I'll take it another step. He still leads the team in scoring after last night. For me that highlights the lack of consistency across the entire team.

Normally when an entire team is that inconsistent the results will be inconsistent and any success they have will be difficult to maintain.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor stunk up the place last nite.
Wasnt ready to play.
Thats on coaches.
All around bad effort from the top to the bottom. Coaching to forwards to d to goalie.
Where was the leadership last nite?
Old habits die hard dont they trevor? Lol
Usual crowd at game. 3500. Well till 2nd period was done then place emptied out.
Burn the tape again.
Better be prepared tonight trevor or hunter will eat u alive.
Come out to play. Show some heart.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

In his last ten games before last night Angle had five points. It shows he's cooled off a bit. They took it one step further though. In eight of those ten games he had no points. That to me highlights the consistency issues.

I'll take it another step. He still leads the team in scoring after last night. For me that highlights the lack of consistency across the entire team.

Normally when an entire team is that inconsistent the results will be inconsistent and any success they have will be difficult to maintain.

All angle does is shoot.
Other teams have caught on to this n they just cover him and not worry about the pass.

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
I know that a good number of people want to point blame at the defence. But elite teams need elite goaltending and we don’t get it. Spits tenders are 30th and 32nd in save percentage. I know that’s not the only stat to evaluate a goalie on....but in a 20 team league, that indicates our goalies as average backups. They have both had opportunities to run with the ball and neither one has. Even with average goaltending, this team is 5 wins better. I don’t usually like to blame goaltenders. But.......

Reactions: windsor7

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I think the biggest issue is that the team really doesn't have star caliber players. Come this time of year and into the playoffs there needs to be a few guys that play like star players. You hope Foudy/Cuylle could become that but it doesn't look like it will happen this year. If things ever went right and the Spits got into a playoff series against London you don't think they would see a ton of Foudy/McMichael etc..? Best player on the ice last night was Dellandrea since WJ's 23 points in 9 games. Perfetti in Saginaw has been a star player all year. Kitchener has an elite goal scorer like Yantsis(82 goals in his past 114 games yep that's elite) along with guys like Damiani/Meireles. This isn't in any way to downplay how the team has played but come playoff time Letowski will have to make very tough decisions. The teams I mentioned are going to keep playing their top players. Is Letowski going to shorten the bench?? One of the better surprises this year has been McDonald but he's on the 4th line with Zito/Maggio. He's matched similar goal scoring output of Boka/Purboo in a heck of a lot less ice time.

The best news come playoff time is if they figured out their PK. PP has been very good but they have drawn the fewest amount of penalties in the league. Running out of time to figure out the PK though.

Reactions: member 71782

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
This was a team that is looking at tomorrow. They've done this before; stink up a "should win" game that's before the "big" one, so to speak.

I don't agree with firing Letowski. He's done wonders this season. Why he's going back to his old defensive habits, I don't know, but we all know he's been good up to this point (in the general sense).
OHLTG: Free ticket for you to tonight's game. PM me by 4 pm ! Section 107

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I know that a good number of people want to point blame at the defence. But elite teams need elite goaltending and we don’t get it. Spits tenders are 30th and 32nd in save percentage. I know that’s not the only stat to evaluate a goalie on....but in a 20 team league, that indicates our goalies as average backups. They have both had opportunities to run with the ball and neither one has. Even with average goaltending, this team is 5 wins better. I don’t usually like to blame goaltenders. But.......
So the 20th place goalie is .890 and i use 20 since there 20 teams. Now in Medina’s last 14 games his SV% has been .890 or higher and in 8 games .900 or higher. To me it seems he has grabbed the ball but it is rare you give a 17 yr old rookie goalie complete control of the crease. I don’t think goaltending that big of issue right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad