Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
A game worn jersey + game used puck + hat is a pretty solid steal for $200. Between collectors and fans looking for a neat Christmas gift, this is solid and creative. IIRC, most jerseys in auction go for $200+ on their own, and some up in the 300+ range. Add in a game puck and a cap... it's well done.

As for tonight - tough to predict. Kitchener is a very solid home team but we've had some success in there recently.

Reactions: TheGremlin

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So game night in Kitchener - no tired legs in this 1 as it is the first game this weekend - hoping for at least 1 point or maybe a win if the puck luck works our way.

More worried about Saturday - it has trap game written all over it. Have to be ready for all games - last year they lost 3 times to Flint while other teams were racking up points. Flint got better last year and the Spits did not - Sarina has had Windsors number a couple of years - really want to see the Spits dominate this game - I see this game as a real barometer on how they will mentally be ready as the year moves forward.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While it's not a great measure, the Spitfires did very well against the Sting in pre-season. It'll be a tough game but that's a very winnable game for us. Kitchener is going to be tougher, to me.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Much better second period. This team seems to react to dire adversity, why can't they come out strong. Maybe change the bus video away from the sound of music

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
3-1 Kitchener final; shots 44-29 Windsor.

Spitfires really poured it on in the second and third periods, but Jacob Ingham deserves plenty of credit. Kid stood on his head.

Off to Saturday night and welcoming in the Sarnia Sting (who lost to Ptbo at home tonight).

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The Spits need to show up in the first period. They lost this game in the first 10 minutes of the first. Somebody needs to get them fired up out of the gate. All well and good to be the strongest team in the 3rd but this game shows how that is not the recipe for success. Did like Medina - hung out to dry in the first but even then made some crazy good saves.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Once again the team is struggling to find some who can be a consistent finisher on this team. They can get the shots but that’s about all they can do

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Tonight was a combination of not being able to capitalize and a goaltender who could do no wrong. Hopefully they can take that same cranberry jam and get a win tomorrow.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Tonight was a combination of not being able to capitalize and a goaltender who could do no wrong. Hopefully they can take that same cranberry jam and get a win tomorrow.

Can we use this game as another outlier??? Yes the goalie did well for Kitchener but as has been discussed maybe this offense just isn't that potent.

Douglas 2 goals
Purboo 1 goal
D'Amico 2 goals

Can't ask middle 6 guys to be top line guys. Win 3 straight lose 4 of 5 they're doubling down on a group that hasn't played consistent hockey(or sorry they're just consistently inconsistent) for 2 years.

Reactions: Cherrydon

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Last night...Spits came out flat and it cost them. Medina had a number of fine saves as the Spits got back in the game after the 1st 10 minutes or so. The announcers kept ranting about how good Foudy was playing but IMHO teams seem to have caught onto his style. Last year a la Bracco he was circling with the puck most of the time and not shooting but concentrating on passing. This year it seems that he is trying to deke his way into shooting position and in the process seems to be giving the puck up more often. It’s almost as if he doesn’t trust his line mates.
Speaking of line mates Cuylle seems destined to sit a few games for his blind side hit on Fishman. The slow mo gif posted on the internet is devastating. Cuylle is perhaps a wee bit frustrated as he is not having the success he had last year.
Best D-MEN so far have been Ladd and the kid who played for the Vipers last year.
All in all it seemed to me both teams were guilty of too much cute play last night...

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I thought Ingham did well but he's a cheater big time. He knocks the goal off the pegs at the first sign of confusion in his defence, and when the puck was loose in the crease he actually reaches up with his hand and knocks his own helmet off for a whitstle. Don't give me this crap about his strap coming loose from the shot either, the helmet was on his head and he removed it while play was in his crease using his hand. League should keep an eye on him, those shinanegans put some tarnish on what should be seen as a great performance in my opinion, he probably doesn't need to do that crap for an advantage.

Medina was great, I was surprised he got the start after Piiroinen's strong game against Barrie last weekend. He made some spectacular saves when the team wasn't skating in front of him. As far as the skaters go, I think Angle needs to dial down the fancy pants crap a bit, he's having a decent season but he's over doing the dangling when he's not especially proficient at it. Right now he's at 11 and we probably need him at about a 5 with the toe drags, drop passes and dipsy doodles. Cuylle was again not showing what he can do, he seems to bumble just about every pass that comes his way. He'll be in position, his linemate will find him with a pass and it bounces on him every time. I know some of the passes aren't works of art but he needs to work on accepting passes with a bit of finesse so he can get that shot off instead of coughing up the puck. Foudy was excellent, Egor was crap.

I like the Kitchener announce team, thought they were entertaining and not the usual sad sack homers that cry about every thing the opponent does that isn't penalized.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits lose.
Windsor with another terrible start.
This is becoming a routine for Windsor. Dont start till half the game is done and then try to catch up.
Ref helped out Windsor too on a few calls. But i guess that never happens for Windsor. Lol. Must be a off nite.
That is terrible coaching.
Medina played decent for most of the game. No help on 2 of the goals.
Foudy played well.
However most if the team never got off the bus.
Will c how they play tonight. Maybe they play better maybe they lay an egg. As they have played down to their opponent many times before in the past. Just bad coaching.

Last edited:

Shortstop

Nov 14, 2018
Last night...Spits came out flat and it cost them. Medina had a number of fine saves as the Spits got back in the game after the 1st 10 minutes or so. The announcers kept ranting about how good Foudy was playing but IMHO teams seem to have caught onto his style. Last year a la Bracco he was circling with the puck most of the time and not shooting but concentrating on passing. This year it seems that he is trying to deke his way into shooting position and in the process seems to be giving the puck up more often. It’s almost as if he doesn’t trust his line mates.
Speaking of line mates Cuylle seems destined to sit a few games for his blind side hit on Fishman. The slow mo gif posted on the internet is devastating. Cuylle is perhaps a wee bit frustrated as he is not having the success he had last year.
Best D-MEN so far have been Ladd and the kid who played for the Vipers last year.
All in all it seemed to me both teams were guilty of too much cute play last night...
I couldn’t agree more on the D men. Robinson could have a boatload of points if somebody could score on his setups. Most consistent guy of the D for sure.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
How many times did we win clean faceoffs in the offensive zone and the puck went right between our D and out of the zone. I recall at least 4 times last night that happened and 2 for sure while on the power play. Good grief TL, make a little adjustment to the D faceoff position and quit that damn drop pass B.S. Second unit seemed to gel much better than the first unit. I guess it's the Purboo factor and not in a positive light. Playfair a good face off man but then it drys up quick. 1 assist and no goals in 8 games. 0 shots last night. Yes we outshot them but they still had overall way more quality scoring chances. Still would like to see Jodoin get the occasional start so when an injury comes which it eventually will he'll have at least some experience. I can think of a couple forwards I would sit and dress 7 D to work him in for some minutes.

Reactions: OHL 17

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
How many times did we win clean faceoffs in the offensive zone and the puck went right between our D and out of the zone. I recall at least 4 times last night that happened and 2 for sure while on the power play. Good grief TL, make a little adjustment to the D faceoff position and quit that damn drop pass B.S. Second unit seemed to gel much better than the first unit. I guess it's the Purboo factor and not in a positive light. Playfair a good face off man but then it drys up quick. 1 assist and no goals in 8 games. 0 shots last night. Yes we outshot them but they still had overall way more quality scoring chances. Still would like to see Jodoin get the occasional start so when an injury comes which it eventually will he'll have at least some experience. I can think of a couple forwards I would sit and dress 7 D to work him in for some minutes.
I was thinking the same thing about the faceoffs on the offensvie zone, that happened way too often the exact same way with no adjustments made to correct it. Crapping away the first 30 seconds of every powerplay because we start off chasing the puck back in our own end is putting a big dent in our efficiency. The powerplay still seems to be 5 individuals trying to figure out how to score on their own rather than a unit, although later in the game things were a bit better when they just starting putting the puck at the net. They need to just rifle pucks and chase rebounds because the slow passes around the perimeter don't create better passing or shooting lanes for anybody, they just waste time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->