Windsor Spitfires 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

m2m

Aug 14, 2008
Come on now, you like to preach about it's all about results & wins when the team is in a developmental stage.WR might have lost a lot with a boom or bust mentality but he did win. And he won more often then most ever will.If you want to imply WR is on the same level as Riolo or perhaps worse at the job... you're blinded by your bias.
I give WR his due. I think it was time to change things up also. He built this years team. The big difference between this year, last & the year prior is the talent is better. The kids who are still here have progressed & the ones brought in are contributing. Nothing less, nothing more.
Let's take Angle as a good example. I recall standing up for the kid. Showed how he'll be a solid player & goal scorer using his minor hockey stats as a projection. While some on this board were running the kid out of town after he played about 30 games in the league. This is how junior hockey is. It takes time, its frustrating but eventually the kids turn out.

Great point as when I was analyzing/researching how Rychel performed in his tenure, I concluded that the developmental times (3-4yrs) since the sanctions were initiated fit into this time frame (as well as WHL's portland as it appeared they dipped after 3yrs of the sanctions were initiated). I was trying to find out if the sanctions had a possible effect on his performance (which showed in the records dipping) during this time frame and I am wondering if this may be a true contributing factor or not? Not saying it was the only factor but a possible major one? Sorry if this has been discussed too much before. I just want to ensure people have an open mind :).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With the Spits heading into Saturday's home game vs N.Bay a look at some numbers during Windsor's 6 game winning streak
Spits have scored 39 goals for an average of 6.50 goals per and have allowed 21 for average of 3.50 against,which just so happens to be the teams average for goals against per game for the season 49 in 14 games.
The power play numbers pretty impressive 12 -26 for a 46.15 rate,while the PK is 18-23 for a rate of 78.26
Individually Tyler Angle leads in points 12 in the games,5G,7A,Luke Boka has 5 goals in this stretch to tie Angle in goals for this stretch, Damico has 10 points,and like Boka has missed 1 game in this stretch, while Purboo and Foudy have 9 points each,followed by Douglas,Afanaseyev, and Corcoran with 8 points,lot of balanced scoring that's for sure.
Nice to see Corcoran contribute more on the offense,while playing decently on the back end .
Goaltending wise Medina is averaging 4.00 despite his 2-0 record,while Piironen has a 3 25 average in his last 4 starts in goal
All skaters have at least 1 point in the last 6 games and 4 games too.
Team defense better the last 4 games
as team has allowed 11 goals for an average of 2.75.
Windsor has also scored 24 goals in the last 4 games.
Windsor 's record against the East this season is 4-1-1,3-0-1 at home,while the record against the West is 6-2,but 4-0 at home.
Take 1 game at a time,no thinking ahead,take care of N.Bay 1st on Saturday, worry Saginaw our opponent on Sunday.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Last year around Christmas I mentioned that Angle was the "spark" for this team and got some interesting responses. Yes he is not Captain material but he sure is showing he has the drive to lead the team on the ice - it all takes time like you mentioned. That is why we need to be patient with Cuylle, not every player develops at the same speed. I would argue that he is playing the systems better than Foudy at this point.

TL - still not sure if he was influenced too much by Warren or not, none of us will ever really know but he seems to have changed his coaching style since the beginning of the year. Going to see where we sit after the trade deadline before I start getting too critical or too positive for that matter.

So sitting in first place with basically 1/4 of the season done - do they sell or do they go for it? I'm still sitting in the camp to sell and have a big year next year but it is harder to lean that way if they are going to stay near the top of the standings. Bowler is going to have to prove he can manage a team through the tough decisions and this looks like it may be a year he is going to have to do that. Problem is the old bird in the bush kinda thing - there is no guarantee you will be a top team next year - so whats a GM to do????

Regardless of where they sit at the trade deadline, this is not the year to go all in. Maybe a couple of trades to move players who will not be returning in exchange for draft pics or young players who will be contributors in the next few years.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Regardless of where they sit at the trade deadline, this is not the year to go all in. Maybe a couple of trades to move players who will not be returning in exchange for draft pics or young players who will be contributors in the next few years.
I agree with this, just hope the owners and GM do as well. 2 points between 1st and 5th place so standings will have an influence on this as we grow closer to the trade deadline.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

Trade a few vets

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Playfair PurBoo Stevenson.
Shop around for Douglas n Boka - however dont demand a kings ranson for them because gms will laugh at the demand.
So you want to gut the room,effect team closeness,and if all 5 are moved probably means no playoff series wins which you and others will take great pains to remind us.
I am favor of tweaking not gutting,way too early to think of any gutting.
And if they do as you suggest,and are easily knocked out of playoffs,no talk of playoff success or lack should be mentioned, when team gutting was performed more understanding then
condemnation would g
be appropriate.
I dont think you will get your wish,unless something dramatic occurs.

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So you want to gut the room,effect team closeness,and if all 5 are moved probably means no playoff series wins which you and others will take great pains to remind us.
And if they do as you suggest,and are easily knocked out of playoffs,no talk of playoff success or lack should be mentioned, when team gutting was performed more understanding then
condemnation would g
be appropriate.

I didnt say trade them today.
However dont wait till last moment though as Windsor will be caught holding on to them as happened in past.
Who made u king to say what n how i post? Us this coming from u in the ivory tower? Fomcl

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
condemnation would g
be appropriate.

He never said move all 5 but you look at those things. Oshawa traded their captain and alternate captain last year Studnicka/Brassard still ended up with 92 points and made it to the conference finals. If the Spits moved Purboo/Playfair/Stevenson and the team crumbled then that's on the current players and it was never meant to be. If Oshawa can trade Studnicka/Brassard surely the Spits can survive moving a Boka/Purboo/Stevenson/Playfair any of those quartet of players.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I didnt say trade them today.
However dont wait till last moment though as Windsor will be caught holding on to them as happened in past.
Who made u king to say what n how i post? Us this coming from u in the ivory tower? Fomcl
I didnt say today,I said if you move all of those players.
As for what you write and contribute, it does make for comic relief,not to be taken seriously, mostly non informative, fair and reasonable not often,keep up the good work.

Reactions: randomhero4life

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I didnt say today,I said if you move all of those players.
As for what you write and contribute, it does make for comic relief,not to be taken seriously, mostly non informative, fair and reasonable not often,keep up the good work.

I am guessing u r stating this because it doesnt follow your opinions n u like to lash out. No worries. Haha.
Your welcome!!!

Reactions: RayzorIsDull

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
He never said move all 5 but you look at those things. Oshawa traded their captain and alternate captain last year Studnicka/Brassard still ended up with 92 points and made it to the conference finals. If the Spits moved Purboo/Playfair/Stevenson and the team crumbled then that's on the current players and it was never meant to be. If Oshawa can trade Studnicka/Brassard surely the Spits can survive moving a Boka/Purboo/Stevenson/Playfair any of those quartet of players.
I said if all 5 were moved,as well I dont see 1/4 of team moved if things continue as they are,plus if I had Keyser like Oshawa had last year and he averaged 2.75 last yr,I would feel more confident, see no need to upset apple cart
I dont see this team moving 5 players,and having to 5 or 6 to fill roster.
Windsors luck would lose 2 players post trade deadline like last year and be short players and more importantly talent.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I said if all 5 were moved,as well I dont see 1/4 of team moved if things continue as they are,plus if I had Keyser like Oshawa had last year and he averaged 2.75 last yr,I would feel more confident, see no need to upset apple cart
I dont see this team moving 5 players,and having to 5 or 6 to fill roster.
Windsors luck would lose 2 players post trade deadline like last year and be short players and more importantly talent.

It isn't unheard of to do that Oshawa moved Brassard/Studnicka/Wong/Henderson last year. You could move 4 players and still maintain a level of play that's competitive while building towards the next 2 years. If you moved Boka/Playfair/Stevenson/Johnston recouped some picks and use a couple of your current picks to upgrade your OA situation and get another forward or two that will be around for a couple years you will be better off.

Reactions: windsor7

member 71782

Do people really think there's a significant chance this team buys this year? Can they afford to spend anything this year, even for a minor upgrade or two with the goal being next year or the year after?

If they're top five entering the deadline does anyone think they move a couple of bigger pieces to add to the youth as well as picks? Are they willing to make a bold move or two to secure the future?

Do they basically stand pat, move a minor piece or two that adds nothing for the future and replace them with other minor pieces just to ice a full roster? Basically what we saw last year after DiPietro was dealt which did nothing for the present at the time or the future, this year and beyond.

Some of the names tossed about as those people want to see traded, while understandable will do nothing to help the present or the future. They would all have to be replaced and would likely return similar players at a similar cost so sideways moves that don't help much.

Boka, captain likely to set the record for most games played by a Spitfire. Very unlikely he gets moved.

Stevenson, they had no reason based on past performance to bring him back but they did and put him on the top pairing. Very unlikely he gets moved.

Playfair, should have been moved last year while he still had some value but now he still plays every night, still wears a letter and has almost no value. Very unlikely they could move him.

Purboo, has some value but will they move him or will they simply ride out his OA season just to say he was reliable and never missed a game? I'm sure there wouldn't be an offer that meets the value they place on him.

What are peoples expectations knowing this team would have to move everything they have, including youth to really contend, which puts them right back to being irrelevant for a few more years. If they spend anything on upgrades to get to, maybe beyond the second round this year but don't have the assets to be serious contenders the next couple of years and settle for mediocrity for a few more years. Is standing pat, potentially losing a couple of players they hope will be here as OAs and not having the assets to replace them again leading to years of mediocrity or an early sell off to restart another rebuild.

Reactions: m2m

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Do people really think there's a significant chance this team buys this year? Can they afford to spend anything this year, even for a minor upgrade or two with the goal being next year or the year after?

If they're top five entering the deadline does anyone think they move a couple of bigger pieces to add to the youth as well as picks? Are they willing to make a bold move or two to secure the future?

Do they basically stand pat, move a minor piece or two that adds nothing for the future and replace them with other minor pieces just to ice a full roster? Basically what we saw last year after DiPietro was dealt which did nothing for the present at the time or the future, this year and beyond.

Some of the names tossed about as those people want to see traded, while understandable will do nothing to help the present or the future. They would all have to be replaced and would likely return similar players at a similar cost so sideways moves that don't help much.

Boka, captain likely to set the record for most games played by a Spitfire. Very unlikely he gets moved.

Stevenson, they had no reason based on past performance to bring him back but they did and put him on the top pairing. Very unlikely he gets moved.

Playfair, should have been moved last year while he still had some value but now he still plays every night, still wears a letter and has almost no value. Very unlikely they could move him.

Purboo, has some value but will they move him or will they simply ride out his OA season just to say he was reliable and never missed a game? I'm sure there wouldn't be an offer that meets the value they place on him.

What are peoples expectations knowing this team would have to move everything they have, including youth to really contend, which puts them right back to being irrelevant for a few more years. If they spend anything on upgrades to get to, maybe beyond the second round this year but don't have the assets to be serious contenders the next couple of years and settle for mediocrity for a few more years. Is standing pat, potentially losing a couple of players they hope will be here as OAs and not having the assets to replace them again leading to years of mediocrity or an early sell off to restart another rebuild.
Don't see any of the OA's moving - Boka in his final year seems to be putting it all together - not going to be moved. Purboo and Stevenson have no real value in a move so they stay.
Angle, Douglas and Corcoran are the ones that may be shopped depending on whether or not they will not return next year? Realistically I think only 1 of them may move but not all of them. Not going to be shocked if they stand pat this year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Don't see any of the OA's moving - Boka in his final year seems to be putting it all together - not going to be moved. Purboo and Stevenson have no real value in a move so they stay.
Angle, Douglas and Corcoran are the ones that may be shopped depending on whether or not they will not return next year? Realistically I think only 1 of them may move but not all of them. Not going to be shocked if they stand pat this year.

I know it's only opinion but how could anyone be satisfied with standing pat?? That's the easy decision. That doesn't take any a vision, that isn't being proactive. That's just sitting on your hands hoping you get internal improvement next year and go at it again.

Reactions: windsor7

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know it's only opinion but how could anyone be satisfied with standing pat?? That's the easy decision. That doesn't take any a vision, that isn't being proactive. That's just sitting on your hands hoping you get internal improvement next year and go at it again.
Well we have no idea what the new owners or Bowlers vision is other than a possible sale in the not to distant future, so no moves will not shock me. Does not mean there may or may not be a move or 2.

Edit - does not mean I like the idea to stand pat.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Well if anyone gets traded it will be Boka. We always trade our captains were there careers almost over. Then again that was a WR thing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think standing pat is the easy way out. When your team is doing this well, there's the temptation to add the pieces necessary to put them over the top. By keeping the status quo now, you're going somewhat against the grain while keeping the room in-tact. At least for the time being, that's not a bad thing.

Reactions: I guard the door

member 71782

I don't think standing pat is the easy way out. When your team is doing this well, there's the temptation to add the pieces necessary to put them over the top. By keeping the status quo now, you're going somewhat against the grain while keeping the room in-tact. At least for the time being, that's not a bad thing.

I think standing pat or a couple of small additions are the worst moves they could make.

Stand pat, hope everyone who can return does and go into next season hoping everyone takes a big enough jump that they don't have to add since they will have fewer assets at their disposal to add with.

Make a couple of small additions and hope to get to, and out of the second round and hope, like standing pat that everyone returns, probably have even fewer assets to do something with next year.

Both lead to years of mediocrity.

Be bold this year and go one of two ways.

Go all in and accept another long rebuild since it would cost most of what they have.

Move their big pieces, add youth and picks and set themselves up for multiple years of success with a ton of extra picks and adding some good/very good young players that likely doesn't change where they finish once other teams load up.

Rychel's best year as GM was 07/08. He had a team exceeding expectations, like this year decent assets and what did he do?

He sold, added young players and picks and gave us 08/09 and 09/10 with the potential for a third year in 10/11.

Standing pat won't do that and neither making a few small additions.

Bowler needs to be bold, one way or the other. If there's a potential buyer in the background, if it were me I'd want a team built for the future, not one that is sitting at the start of a rebuild or slated for years of mediocrity.

If this group is in it for the long haul, buy and deal with a rebuild if they want. If there's a buyer or they really want to build a long term competitive product, sell your 2000s and have something serious to work with.

Stand pat and continue with the same results year over year that we're all tired of.

Reactions: RayzorIsDull
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad