Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Sorry for my 2cents but hockey is 3weeks away from training camp or so. I am with OHLTG some action from any team is what us die hards live for. I am retired and love the OHL so how I or anyone else chooses to use their time is up to them. Not for anybody to criticize it's summer enjoy it. I am but how I do it is my business. Go for jog in 44 degree weather. What ever blows up your skirt as the saying goes it is none of my business.

Good post!! There is lot's of discussion on other threads....why not here?.....or is it someone who woke up on the goofy side of the bed and decided that certain people's post need to be trolled on?...trying to stir the pot....I say to that...blow it out your banana!! :laugh: 3 weeks away!! some activity should start real soon imho

Reactions: Finster8

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's been four full months since hockey. While the warm weather and such is fun (I went to see Collective Soul/3 Doors Down tonight... solid show!), I don't think anyone would be upset if hockey started soon. Once the calendar turns to August, we all smell hockey around the corner. We know activity will get going. None of us want to toss summer out the window but our eyes are glancing over towards the puck...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Ellis got married past weekend in Hamilton. Spits brass and ex players on attendance. Maybe that's y it's been quiet.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
The strange thing is I was thinking yesterday that Rychel has a long history of bringing in defects - Brown, Bateman, and Ebert, to name a few. Not that I want to believe the "Cuylle to Windsor" hype because the chances are slim.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Thursday is very often a day when the Spitfires make news. Not saying I have any inside news because I don’t, but it seems to me WR likes to announce things just ahead of the weekend...perhaps to generate interest for the fan base...

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Kid can snipe. It would be a good get for Windsor.
If they can grab him and still add a few picks to the cupboard with other moves, a real good get.

It still doesn't make a lot of sense because it will cost assets. If they were really after a high pick in the OHL draft they would have been better off losing that last game against Saginaw. Rychel isn't dumb he wants a guy like Cuylle because they don't have as talented as him currently on the roster. Cuylle was a top 3 pick, they could have had a top 5 pick if they lost to Saginaw and this wouldn't be discussed.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
If they had beaten Sarnia, you wouldn't have the "one playoff series in x-number of years" discussed, either, but here we are. (I take that back, we would have figured out a way to) You don't lose games on purpose. Now, they've got a serious offensive talent in Foudy (I've heard nothing but good about his speed/offence), and the kids have some playoff experience. If they get Cuylle, awesome, if the price is right. If they don't, so be it.

Reactions: Teflon

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If they had beaten Sarnia, you wouldn't have the "one playoff series in x-number of years" discussed, either, but here we are. (I take that back, we would have figured out a way to) You don't lose games on purpose. Now, they've got a serious offensive talent in Foudy (I've heard nothing but good about his speed/offence), and the kids have some playoff experience. If they get Cuylle, awesome, if the price is right. If they don't, so be it.

The leap from beating Sarnia 2 times to winning the whole series is a large one. There is a much smaller gap between a top 3 and top 5 pick than there is between winning 2 playoff games and whole series. I would also say the gap is larger between pick 3 and pick 10. This playoff experience narrative means very little if the team finishes as a 6th seed or lower. This conversation is a waste though because you have continually stated your belief there isn't a difference between spots in round 1. We are done.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
:laugh: If you were done, you wouldn't have responded.

I've also never stated that "there isn't a difference between spots in round 1", and we both know a top 3 pick is much different than a 20 pick. To discount Foudy's talent before he even plays a game, though, isn't fair. Is he as good as Cuylle? Probably not (at this point). Is he what we need? Absolutely. There's no denying that.

Playoffs also never mean "very little." I'd much rather have my kids get that experience than have them lose JUST to get the better pick. They saw what Sarnia could do and what it took to get to that next step. You think the fans would have been happy with no playoffs again? Nope. They didn't have a GREAT chance v. Sarnia, but, when it's a 3-2 series, you've given yourself a fighting chance.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
What would Cuylie's value be 3-2nds + 3-3rds? If you are able to get some picks back from trading DiPietro it is a good move to get that high-end talent.

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
It still doesn't make a lot of sense because it will cost assets. If they were really after a high pick in the OHL draft they would have been better off losing that last game against Saginaw. Rychel isn't dumb he wants a guy like Cuylle because they don't have as talented as him currently on the roster. Cuylle was a top 3 pick, they could have had a top 5 pick if they lost to Saginaw and this wouldn't be discussed.

I don’t disagree they will be better off acquiring more assets somehow. If they can it will be a very good get. If it cost them almost as much as Dipi returns and they don’t move any1 else for much return, it’s still good imo, but I see your point. They need to have Cuylle be a top end talent and add to the cupboards this year n next for it to be a great move.
No idea if they can do both.
I liked the kids finish at the OHL Cup but we will see if it translates. He was surrounded by talent far greater then the opposition even at that tourney. He won’t have that adv in the O.
I liked a good handful of kids better thru limited views of MM during the year, final tourney etc.... But he was very good. I think the Pete’s reached to get him where they did. Not sure he n Foudy were that far apart in scouts, teams minds as far as rankings go (albeit much different styles)
Pete’s were allegedly unsure who to pick as they weren’t getting much love from any highly rated kids. Just speculation on my part based on a few things. They threw their dart.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don’t disagree they will be better off acquiring more assets somehow. If they can it will be a very good get. If it cost them almost as much as Dipi returns and they don’t move any1 else for much return, it’s still good imo, but I see your point

This is like I said earlier - if the cost for Cuylle is most of what you'd get for DiPietro, I'm against it. If it's less than half, then let's talk. That said, the only way I acquire Cuylle is if he's 100% reporting. If he's firmly in NCAA camp, I walk away.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
What would Cuylie's value be 3-2nds + 3-3rds? If you are able to get some picks back from trading DiPietro it is a good move to get that high-end talent.

Most kids in that position return similar packages give or take.
Who know with the Pete’s thou, maybe Windsor gets a 75 cents on the dollar discount or a Bracco type wink wink deal. ( yes I know many teams do it :))

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
This is like I said earlier - if the cost for Cuylle is most of what you'd get for DiPietro, I'm against it. If it's less than half, then let's talk. That said, the only way I acquire Cuylle is if he's 100% reporting. If he's firmly in NCAA camp, I walk away.

I don think it’ll be half of DiPis value.
And I’m positive it doesn’t happen for anywhere near full price unless he is for sure showing up. That’s obvious.
If it a hope n see deal you will get one similar to Kitcheners or London’s recent deals for kids like that. Cond. 2nds with 1 falling off each year the kid diesnt show up.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking, given the return other defects have brought. I don't know how much more than this DiPietro would fetch, either.

Most kids in that position return similar packages give or take.
Who know with the Pete’s thou, maybe Windsor gets a 75 cents on the dollar discount or a Bracco type wink wink deal. ( yes I know many teams do it :))

You mean, instead of Bracco/Stan it's Cuylle/DiP? While part of me thinks Rychel COULD wait that long... does he want to? (assuming we're referring to the deadline and not just separate deals, such as Cantin/Shugg and Ebert)

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
That's along the lines of what I'm thinking, given the return other defects have brought. I don't know how much more than this DiPietro would fetch, either.

You mean, instead of Bracco/Stan it's Cuylle/DiP? While part of me thinks Rychel COULD wait that long... does he want to? (assuming we're referring to the deadline and not just separate deals, such as Cantin/Shugg and Ebert)
No, sry it wasn’t clear, my bad.
I just meant they only give Pete’s so much in picks now ( that’s all they can give up in this trade if it even is a thought)
And maybe throw a player to Pete’s in a separate deal at a similar discount later. I wouldn’t think it would be DiPi thou.

Or you move DiPi first somewhere n picks aren’t an issue for Spits.
I wouldn’t do it unless I could still find a way to add to the cupboards but I’m not WR. He tends to be aggressive for good or bad. Not judging but I could see him trying something like this.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I believe they set themselves up to lose the last game. If you remember, Boka was sat out and they started Baier in Goal. Baier won his only win of the year that afternoon. Remember, Management can sit their best players, but the players dressed always need to bust their ass to get a win. That was what happened on that day.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Any time you can acquire a top 5 pick defected player and you have the assets to do so, you do it without even thinking. One of the assets the selling team gets is the 1str round pick compensation the following year. That is an asset the buying team doesn’t have to pay.

The types of players that are picked top 5 int he OHL draft are the same type of players you need to trade four 2nds and three 3rds to acquire as a rental when they are 19 years old. So even if you never end up being a contender, you can have that player for 3.5 years and then trade him for more assets than you traded to acquire him.

It is a no brainer from every sense. If Windsor can acquire Cuylle for those six picks, you sneak away like the Hamburgler with a bag of Cheeseburgers....

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
I believe they set themselves up to lose the last game. If you remember, Boka was sat out and they started Baier in Goal. Baier won his only win of the year that afternoon. Remember, Management can sit their best players, but the players dressed always need to bust their ass to get a win. That was what happened on that day.

Boka took a puck to the hand the previous game, was a legitimate hand injury. Baier got the start as DiPi needed the rest and Baier was long over due for start (as we know the goalie situation was handled horribly last season). From my understanding the team was prepared and ready to go ether win or lose, I think the team / management was pretty settled in with ether outcome.....kinda it is what it is situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad