Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 7)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Spits may hang onto 8th but at some point you just to have to admit this roster isn't ready to win games consistently. I think overall once DiPietro got traded the overall roster started feeling sorry for themselves. Unfortunately when every team plays a game nobody feels sorry for you. I am sure there is someone throwing a pity party for the Spits though.

Reactions: tomschman

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Here's the OHL standings and the Spit & Otter remaining schedules...

DzDUXokUcAEyTtD.jpg

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Here's the OHL standings and the Spit & Otter remaining schedules...

DzDUXokUcAEyTtD.jpg

Between each clubs remaining games the Spits definitely have the easier schedule. That being said every team scares me right now. Again in today's WS online edition, TL quoted " I don't think we played a bad period" and "again I thought we played a good road game".
Good grief why doesn't Mr Parker ever ask the coach any hard questions like Why does your power play continue to stink? or did you use a bingo ball machine to come up with the shootout order? I realize that JP casually takes quotes out of TL commentary and it's not really an interview. I'd love to see Brian Burke interview TL and watch the squirm begin. I'm not blaming every loss on coaching, but it starts there. Watch Ken Hitchcocks after game interview from yesterday. He doesn't point out individual players by name for poor play but at the end of the day he states it's all on him for not getting them ready to go. That's respectful.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Other than games played - he can"t play over 10 games. If he did he could not go back to the Vipers. Best to keep him in the wings in case of an injury. once Spits are down to 8 or so games he could play some games. I think he has played 2 already.

Correct, he has 8 games he could play for the Spits. The Vipers are locked into their playoff position, so play him, unless!

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Correct, he has 8 games he could play for the Spits. The Vipers are locked into their playoff position, so play him, unless!
I'm not sure him playing now is going to make or break the Spits season so I can see them holding off playing him. Knowing the Spits at some point there will be an "unless" and having burnt up his eligible games would not be a good thing. He will get playing time in a couple of weeks once they get by that 8 game threshold.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

Actually its 7 games,by game 10 either you card him or wait till his season is done with LaSalle.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I'm not sure him playing now is going to make or break the Spits season so I can see them holding off playing him. Knowing the Spits at some point there will be an "unless" and having burnt up his eligible games would not be a good thing. He will get playing time in a couple of weeks once they get by that 8 game threshold.

At this point it "may not matter" at the conclusion of the season and you realize that the Spits played with less than the normal 20 for 25-30% of the year that's an issue. You're doing a disservice to your current roster, and your coaching staff. How do you expect to have success if you're not playing with a full deck?? Rychel deserves a lot of heat for letting it get to this point. Maybe WR can go into the room and rattle some more cages that seemed to work....

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
At this point it "may not matter" at the conclusion of the season and you realize that the Spits played with less than the normal 20 for 25-30% of the year that's an issue. You're doing a disservice to your current roster, and your coaching staff. How do you expect to have success if you're not playing with a full deck?? Rychel deserves a lot of heat for letting it get to this point. Maybe WR can go into the room and rattle some more cages that seemed to work....
I think you do a "disservice" to Robinson if you bring him up as 6-7 D that ends up getting 2 or 3 shifts a game. Also have no issue with our current D getting more playing time - both of these things are good for our future and can't see bringing Robinson up will do anything to help now and not really help for the future. He will likely be here next year. As far as the coaching staff don't see that as a disservice to them, they need to learn how to coach with the cards they are dealt.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Actually its 7 games,by game 10 either you card him or wait till his season is done with LaSalle.

That is correct. Play him at the level you have planned for next year, only a few games early.He would get a taste of what it takes to play in "The O". Very positive move , I would think. This way the Spits brass also get a better picture of what they have!

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think you do a "disservice" to Robinson if you bring him up as 6-7 D that ends up getting 2 or 3 shifts a game. Also have no issue with our current D getting more playing time - both of these things are good for our future and can't see bringing Robinson up will do anything to help now and not really help for the future. He will likely be here next year. As far as the coaching staff don't see that as a disservice to them, they need to learn how to coach with the cards they are dealt.

Well the team is playing 5 D. I think you're exaggerating him getting 2-3 shifts a game. Most likely he would end up playing 12 mins a night which is fine for a 16 year old.

Asking the coaching staff to manage a situation with a short bench is fine for 5-10 games. Once we get into the 20 game territory it's mismanagement by Rychel plain and simple.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Between each clubs remaining games the Spits definitely have the easier schedule. That being said every team scares me right now. Again in today's WS online edition, TL quoted " I don't think we played a bad period" and "again I thought we played a good road game".
Good grief why doesn't Mr Parker ever ask the coach any hard questions like Why does your power play continue to stink? or did you use a bingo ball machine to come up with the shootout order? I realize that JP casually takes quotes out of TL commentary and it's not really an interview. I'd love to see Brian Burke interview TL and watch the squirm begin. I'm not blaming every loss on coaching, but it starts there. Watch Ken Hitchcocks after game interview from yesterday. He doesn't point out individual players by name for poor play but at the end of the day he states it's all on him for not getting them ready to go. That's respectful.

Letowski sounds like the little league coach that wants to pat his players on the back give them orange slices and take them out for ice cream after.

Reactions: Cherrydon

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That is correct. Play him at the level you have planned for next year, only a few games early.He would get a taste of what it takes to play in "The O". Very positive move , I would think. This way the Spits brass also get a better picture of what they have!
They already see him play in LaSalle - No need to pull him from LaSalle and take away his top minutes there to play far less minutes in Windsor. No need to rush this, although a good player in JrB he won't get many valuable minutes in the O for the last few games - having said this I"m sure he will play some games but he won't be enough to hurt his JrB eligibility.
Also don't forget same owners in LaSalle as Windsor so can't see Windsor wanting to hurt LaSalle's playoff future.

member 71782

Frankly this whole season has been a disservice by multiple parties to all involved.

First a disservice to the fans who either spend their hard earned money and/or their time following this team.

Second to the coaches. When you fail to give them all the tools they need to get the job done you are limiting their ability to do the job.

Third by the coaches. When things don't work but you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again you are failing everyone around you.

Fourth by the players. When things get tough and you fail to stand by each other, help each other improve or simply give up, you shouldn't be here.

Rychel didn't get Lynch and did nothing to fill the hole that created since it was pretty obvious he had planned on him and potentially others to be in the line up. Next when the kids came back from the U17s some were given opportunities while others who were playing well dropped down in the line up so that certain vets could be given opportunities that they had already failed to fulfill. Third, when Rychel starts moving pieces in a rebuild and gets older instead of younger, just not rebuilding. Tanking? Yes but not in a way that is productive for now or the future beyond a slightly higher draft pick in the first round. Fourth, playing with a short roster for months is failing to provide the best product for the fans. You can't complain about lack of fan support at the gate then fail to give them multiple reasons not to show up. You want people to come to games? Provide a product worth spending their money on. No one expects a championship every year but a good product one year then four/five/six years without one? Call it the JR cycle all you want but there was a time the JR cycle did not exist. It's become and easy to use excuse for providing an ongoing poor product and if you look back at the 70s/80s/90s you will see there was no JR cycle.

I'm waiting to hear the complaining about the lack of fan support again. The biggest reason is the lack of product. You won't buy a new cell phone every year if three or four years in a row the product is worse then the year you bought it would you? Why would you spend money on JR hockey if you are only going to see a good team 20% of the time? Most won't which is why fan support continues to drop.

Not playing a few kids, even a couple of games here and there does a disservice to those kids, the kids already playing and future of the organization. Those kids are busting their ***es for a chance, oyu have the space in your roster for them and yet you won't se if they can play? If you have none on a B card then that's poor management. The kids on the roster going out there every night expected to give a full effort but the team won't give a full effort ensuring they have a full roster when they have the ability to provide it? Do you really think play and attitude will improve putting them in a situation where they are not likely to see improvement? How effective is the coaching going to be when you don't give them a full roster to play every night possible? Regardless of the issues with Letowski, and there's plenty at this point if he doesn't have the full support of the organization starting with giving him twenty players a night to dress then some of the issues around him have to fall back on Rychel.

Letting things get this far is a disgrace and a big middle finger to everyone involved. This isn't building for the future, this isn't developing kids. This is saying it doesn't matter, just deal with it, and don't forget to renew your season tickets.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So Incze gets the start. I don't get what they are doing here with goaltending. If Incze was going to play 2 games this weekend why play him back to back?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
They haven't been consistent all season. ANYONE can see that.

If I'm WR, I'm not amused that Incze is getting playing time over Piiroinen. Yes, Incze has played well but Piiroinen is the future. This "play the veterans" stuff is getting old.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
1-0 Miss after 20.

The lone goal was ALL defence. Two guys covering the Steelhead and he still managed to get the puck into the empty cage. Incze wasn't happy and rightfully so.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Frankly this whole season has been a disservice by multiple parties to all involved.

First a disservice to the fans who either spend their hard earned money and/or their time following this team.

Second to the coaches. When you fail to give them all the tools they need to get the job done you are limiting their ability to do the job.

Third by the coaches. When things don't work but you keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again you are failing everyone around you.

Fourth by the players. When things get tough and you fail to stand by each other, help each other improve or simply give up, you shouldn't be here.

Rychel didn't get Lynch and did nothing to fill the hole that created since it was pretty obvious he had planned on him and potentially others to be in the line up. Next when the kids came back from the U17s some were given opportunities while others who were playing well dropped down in the line up so that certain vets could be given opportunities that they had already failed to fulfill. Third, when Rychel starts moving pieces in a rebuild and gets older instead of younger, just not rebuilding. Tanking? Yes but not in a way that is productive for now or the future beyond a slightly higher draft pick in the first round. Fourth, playing with a short roster for months is failing to provide the best product for the fans. You can't complain about lack of fan support at the gate then fail to give them multiple reasons not to show up. You want people to come to games? Provide a product worth spending their money on. No one expects a championship every year but a good product one year then four/five/six years without one? Call it the JR cycle all you want but there was a time the JR cycle did not exist. It's become and easy to use excuse for providing an ongoing poor product and if you look back at the 70s/80s/90s you will see there was no JR cycle.

I'm waiting to hear the complaining about the lack of fan support again. The biggest reason is the lack of product. You won't buy a new cell phone every year if three or four years in a row the product is worse then the year you bought it would you? Why would you spend money on JR hockey if you are only going to see a good team 20% of the time? Most won't which is why fan support continues to drop.

Not playing a few kids, even a couple of games here and there does a disservice to those kids, the kids already playing and future of the organization. Those kids are busting their ***es for a chance, oyu have the space in your roster for them and yet you won't se if they can play? If you have none on a B card then that's poor management. The kids on the roster going out there every night expected to give a full effort but the team won't give a full effort ensuring they have a full roster when they have the ability to provide it? Do you really think play and attitude will improve putting them in a situation where they are not likely to see improvement? How effective is the coaching going to be when you don't give them a full roster to play every night possible? Regardless of the issues with Letowski, and there's plenty at this point if he doesn't have the full support of the organization starting with giving him twenty players a night to dress then some of the issues around him have to fall back on Rychel.

Letting things get this far is a disgrace and a big middle finger to everyone involved. This isn't building for the future, this isn't developing kids. This is saying it doesn't matter, just deal with it, and don't forget to renew your season tickets.
Don't disagree with most of what you post but my use of the word "disservice" is pointed toward the use of Robinson - not seeing how it would be a service for him to come up every game at this point and lose out on his chance to finish out his season with LaSalle. I'm sure he will get his chance after this road trip. The Spits at this point are going to gain nothing from that move so why not keep the kids interest in mind when making those decisions?
Anyway not everyone will agree with me on this point but it is my humble opinion.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
For those watching the game, I get the impression the announcer is new to PBP. He's listed as a colour commentator and, given the TV issues they've had over the last couple of seasons in trying to get games even shown, I KNOW he's not the normal PBP guy.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
For those watching the game, I get the impression the announcer is new to PBP. He's listed as a colour commentator and, given the TV issues they've had over the last couple of seasons in trying to get games even shown, I KNOW he's not the normal PBP guy.
I've been watching both this game and the London/Soo game but have this on DVR so I can watch later.

member 71782

Don't disagree with most of what you post but my use of the word "disservice" is pointed toward the use of Robinson - not seeing how it would be a service for him to come up every game at this point and lose out on his chance to finish out his season with LaSalle. I'm sure he will get his chance after this road trip. The Spits at this point are going to gain nothing from that move so why not keep the kids interest in mind when making those decisions?
Anyway not everyone will agree with me on this point but it is my humble opinion.

I understand and can appreciate your position on Robinson but yes I do disagree.

The way I see it he won't come in and change the fortunes of the team but bringing him up is saying we believe in you enough as a contributor that you should be here. Not having him up, to me is simply saying no matter how much we need to fill the roster we're not ready to turn to you at this point.

If they had someone else then keeping Robinson out of this mess might make sense but if there's no one else it tells him they don't believe in him and the rest of the team this season doesn't matter at this point so just deal with it, we're not investing into the rest of this season.

They're down to five D the rest of the year, struggling to hold onto the last playoff spot with likely low expectations for the remainder of the season, that's a perfect chance to develop a kid who's likely anxious to prove himself. Let him play his game, have a head start on next year while Rychel has a better idea what he brings before he finalizes any offseason moves.

member 71782

He's clear, focused but a bit robotic. Sounds more like descriptive audio then PBP. If he loosened up he would actually be decent.

Reactions: OHLTG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->