Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think you'll see Cody thrive in Flint. He seems like a good kid with a timid personality. I think if flint's coaching staff shows they believe in his abilities they'll be rewarded. He has talent which we couldn't seem to pull out of him. Another player who doesn't reach his potential with the Spits. How many does it take before you stop looking at the players and start looking at the coaches. Return is what I expected, but how can you not wonder how this affects WR's rebuild. No one to take his position as a 17yr old with scoring potential. A 2020 will not help till Foudy and Cuylle are 19-20 yr olds.

It will be interesting Flint is far from a contending team as well as far from a playoff team. With that being said the crop of forwards Uba/Keppen/Durham/Dellandrea/Winterton have all made strides. It will be interesting if Morgan can follow suit. If you are to believe what is said Rychel is married to Letowski for better or worse and it's worse right now. That's the problem with the 2020 pick and we don't even know if they would hit on that pick either. I don't know how Rychel can say Morgan couldn't get time because the top 2 lines are set. You can't find time for a 17 year old? Why did you value him so much in the Vilardi trade? Stop with the lip service and get better players in here.

Reactions: FireBall959

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
What’s Next...
One thing to note. WR has not used any of the 6-7 cards he has left. He has cleared the decks with the release of Kutkevicius & trade of Morgan for picks. Next thing I expect to see is player for players trades. Something involving a Corcoran, Douglas for a pair of younger player guys

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What’s Next...
One thing to note. WR has not used any of the 6-7 cards he has left. He has cleared the decks with the release of Kutkevicius & trade of Morgan for picks. Next thing I expect to see is player for players trades. Something involving a Corcoran, Douglas for a pair of younger player guys

Been told Douglas and Corcoran not going anywhere.
Boka and Starikov yes,those 2 no.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
It's too bad things didn't work out in Windsor for Morgan. Hopefully this is a good move for him, Windsor should be happy with the return. But until the Spits do something with the second rate coaching staff they are going with it doesn't matter what trades they make, this team is going no where. None of these players will see their full potential.

Reactions: Sec108 and windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Some prospect stats:

Michael Andrews - 01 F - 13G 28 pts in 28 GP leamington
Austin Brimmer - 01 F - 3G 17 pts in 38 games North York Jr B
Stefan Dobrich - 01 D - 1G 6pts in 23 games LaSalle
Eli Shiller - 02 G - 8GP 2.52 GAA, .916% North York
Johnny Ulicny - 02 F - 9G 18 pts in 27 GP for Leamington

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Initial reaction - I like the trade. The picks will help us and, while Morgan has potential, he hasn't been able to realize it yet. Good kid, smart kid, but you don't notice him much out there. Hopefully he does well the the Firebirds.

how about we see what happens with the picks and stuff before it is a good trade?
too often it is a good trade and things have not happened well.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
With the Morgan deal complete Windsor gets a couple of picks they need but I think Windsor loses on all accounts here.

Morgan as the centrepiece of the Villardi deal is moved one year later. As a first rounder expectations were high, rightfully so and he didn't live up to them. He also, for the most part wasn't put in the best position here either. While everyone needs to be able to play in multiple situations with multiple linemates there needs to be some stability when developing young kids on a young roster. Morgan showed flashes with some while he struggled with others. Part of that is on the player and part on the coaches.

The return on this deal is low as well. Wasn't expecting multiple seconds and thirds plus but a second and two thirds, equal to what Guelph got for Bertuzzi should have been within reach.

After starting the season with two goaltenders, seven D and fourteen forwards and now we're down three forwards, plus one injured.

Bringing in two OAs isn't going to cut it. If they are waiver pick ups they're not likely to contribute much, if any additions involve picks going back out it becomes same old story, move player, get picks just to move the picks right back out again.

If there ends up being a Boka deal that's another player short.

How many picks is Rychel going to move back out just to fill the roster?

Our last few drafts were supposedly very good, there has to be a couple of warm bodies that are capable of playing out the year. If not then how good were those drafts if you can't even fill a roster spot on a struggling team?

agreed
good post.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor7 said:
how about we see what happens with the picks and stuff before it is a good trade?
too often it is a good trade and things have not happened well.

LOL Random was right afterall...

I like the trade. In the here and now. Hopefully it works out for both clubs.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Been told Douglas and Corcoran not going anywhere.
Boka and Starikov yes,those 2 no.
I can see Boka. He’d be valuable to a contender. Starikov seems a horse of another color. Don’t imagine at this stage many teams have room for an import. However with different coaching he might turn things around. Seems to me more likely to only get picks for the last two.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some prospect stats:

Michael Andrews - 01 F - 13G 28 pts in 28 GP leamington
Austin Brimmer - 01 F - 3G 17 pts in 38 games North York Jr B
Stefan Dobrich - 01 D - 1G 6pts in 23 games LaSalle
Eli Shiller - 02 G - 8GP 2.52 GAA, .916% North York
Johnny Ulicny - 02 F - 9G 18 pts in 27 GP for Leamington

You could have added Dman Dylan Robinson who is signed,playing
with La Salle-02 born-29 GP-3G,15A,18 Pts.,48 Pims.
If Spits should move more guys out especially on D,he could be added to team and would be their 4th-16 year old player on roster maximum amount of 16 year olds allowed,unless you trade for one.
Of the players you listed Ulicny is the only 16 year old,he can be signed but not rostered if Robinson is brought up to stay.
While Ulicny, Robinson,Andrew's and Dobrich played in their Jr.B prospects game I dont see Dobrich or Andrew's signed at this point.While Andrews does put up a point a game with Leamington his skating is an issue
and Dobrich who has improved isn't ready for OHL duty.
I have touched on Brimmer before unfortunately has not produced enough this year worthy of a
contract.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Just for reference purposes...

Flint, Hamilton, Kingston, NB, and SSM have Import slots open.

Unlikely Flint for one would want Starikov,even though he has a year left,because they will a high pick in Euro draft,ditto Kingston.
Depending what Owen Sound decides to do,they could trade 99 born Maxim Sushko who scored 30 goals last year to Windsor for Starikov,they wont have Sushko back as an O/A anyways,but Starikov would,especially if they move the likes of Phillips, Duzi,and or Bourque,Spits would be indicating that they would be drafting a Euro next year,pretty much a done thing,the way things have evolved re Starikov.
Sushko would help upfront, he is drafted by Philly so he wont dog it.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Even though I'm a fan of Starikov's potential, I like that idea (Sushko). You'll still need scoring and Sushko brings a veteran presence.

As well,you get something for him,as he has a year left,and the ways things are going they will be drafting and keeping their 1st round pick.
Helps out Owen Sound too,works for both teams for a variety of reasons

Reactions: punch1943

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Rayzor

Not surprised you would slag the Windsor organization, unlike the classy Morgan and his remarks.
Bottom line you produce you get the ice time, no coach would sit an unproductive player.
He didn't belong in the top 6 ,Foudy,Cuylle,and D'amico surpassed him on depth by their performances
It's too bad,I was hoping he would work out like Mcmichael but he didn't.
Players have to take ownership.
That lip service you talk about has brought in or up 4 good ones,in fact Cuylle,Foudy,and Frasca are in the top 20 for rookie points,plus McDonald more goals and points then Morgan.
I will take that kind of lip service every time out.
And sometimes trades dont work,nobody but nobody scores 100 % all the time,you expect it but everyone doesn't.If you did u would not b i t c h all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DetSpitsFan

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I like a 2nd and a 4th for 2018 Cody Morgan.

I don’t like a 2nd and a 4th for a former 1st round draft pick.

Hopefully the change of scenery helps Morgan. Surprised he agreed to a trade to Flint. But with Dellandrea likely being moved in addition to clarke, he’ll definitely see minutes over there. Hopefully he makes the most of them. I agree with productivity though. Who would Morgan play above? Cuylle? Foudy? Douglas? DAmico? Playfair? I’d put Angle and lately Frasca above him as well. Doesn’t really fit in the Top 6. Sucks it didn’t work out, but if we hung onto him until next year with similar productivity, we’d be lucky to get that 4th.

I remember someone mentioning last year the rebuild would officially begin when DiPietro was moved. I don’t remember who it was, but that seems accurate niw.

I expect Corcoran and Douglas to stay. Both big parts of the team this year and future, and I think may hold more value in the future, when not so many teams are selling. However, at this point, I could see anything happen.

I honestly think making your go for it year with Cuylle and Foudy as 19 year olds isn’t a bad idea. We have a pair of 16 year olds on our first line.

I didn’t expect Kari to do spectacular, and I wouldn’t even be mad at a 4GAA with how the rest of the team has played lately. It’s not the numbers, it’s the actual goals that surprise me. Seems like a lot of weak wrist shots from the point are just popping over the pads. I don’t expect any goalie in our system to stop cross ice, one timers 5 feet from the net, but the weak goals are extremely frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad