Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Figured it would picks only.

Didnt work out and we will if it was time and/or environment or the kid just didnt want it.

Going from the major piece in s deal for Villardi? Was it? To flipping himfor this return a year later, althou maybe neccessary, isnt optimal.

But again may have been nevcessary.i dont know.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but the Kgn deal now is:

Vilardi and Day for:

Miss 2nd 2020
Flint 2nd 2020
Kgn 2nd 2022, 2024, 2025, 2027, 2028 (last two if vilardi returned to OHL)
Kgn 3rd 2020
Kgn 3rd 2023

Note: Kgn's 2nd 2024 went to Ottawa in the DiPietro deal.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You guys would know better than I

It's something we've noted pretty much every game at the rink. Unfortunate, but true. You'll see a line that clicks really well, then "oh, they've replaced (player) with (player) on the line. Sure?!"

That trade for Morgan to Windsor did well originally. HAHA

There are still plenty of picks (see last post) from that deal. It's FAR too early to say how well Windsor will do with it.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We are going to need players soon lol.

What are everyone thoughts on the Morgan trade???

I think it's along the lines of throwing the baby out with the bath water. It's nice they got picks to get the cupboard stocked a bit more. The intention of acquiring Morgan wasn't to flip him in less than a year to get a couple draft picks though. Disappointing from the standpoint that he probably has more talent than a lot of those forwards. I hope they don't start moving talented guys to get some gritty guys.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not exactly a world beater but sometimes subtraction improves things...The Windsor #Spitfires @SpitsHockey have traded LC Cody Morgan to the Flint #Firebirds for a second-round #OHL Draft pick in 2020 and a fourth-round pick in 2021.
Not sure who wins in this deal? We get picks but I still think he is a player with a future. Now as others have mentioned we need players. IMHO it will be free OA's off the waiver wire on the 9th, at least 1 anyway.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Flint trades winger CJ Clarke (99) to
Missy for a 4th in 2024.May explain
why Cen Hunter Holmes was not involved in Morgan trade.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
I think you'll see Cody thrive in Flint. He seems like a good kid with a timid personality. I think if flint's coaching staff shows they believe in his abilities they'll be rewarded. He has talent which we couldn't seem to pull out of him. Another player who doesn't reach his potential with the Spits. How many does it take before you stop looking at the players and start looking at the coaches. Return is what I expected, but how can you not wonder how this affects WR's rebuild. No one to take his position as a 17yr old with scoring potential. A 2020 will not help till Foudy and Cuylle are 19-20 yr olds.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Initial reaction - I like the trade. The picks will help us and, while Morgan has potential, he hasn't been able to realize it yet. Good kid, smart kid, but you don't notice him much out there. Hopefully he does well the the Firebirds.

Now, that said, the Spitfires are down a F. No Kutkevicius and no Playfair, with nobody else scratched. Does Henault or another D move up front and have all the D-men dress? Does the team make another move tomorrow?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Luke Kutkevicius placed on waivers, per Parker.

Yep, down a F now...
Not surprising knew that was going to happen sooner then later.
Including Playfair injury,return uncertain,and the moves today,Spits now have 10 forwards and 7D.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Lol this season is quickly becoming a train wreck. Hoping to pick up some OA castaways just to fill up roster spots doesn't really show a team trending upwards. Maybe we can get Sirman back (j/k).

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think you'll see Cody thrive in Flint. He seems like a good kid with a timid personality. I think if flint's coaching staff shows they believe in his abilities they'll be rewarded. He has talent which we couldn't seem to pull out of him. Another player who doesn't reach his potential with the Spits. How many does it take before you stop looking at the players and start looking at the coaches. Return is what I expected, but how can you not wonder how this affects WR's rebuild. No one to take his position as a 17yr old with scoring potential. A 2020 will not help till Foudy and Cuylle are 19-20 yr olds.

Why is it the coaching that gets blamed,players have to take ownership, I recall earlier in season in OT,gets penalty shot for the win,doesn't score on cold goalie going in,then he is appointed 1 of 3 shooters in shootout and missed again on the regular goalie.
I thought right there and then,oh boy he is blowing his chances.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Article in Windsor Star giving indication that nobody is really shocked by this. Team knows he wasn't producing and Morgan knows these things happen. Morgan also waived his NTC after talking with Eric Wellwood. Sounds like Morgan knew right before the game yesterday. Spitfires trade Morgan to Flint for two draft picks and place Kutkevicius on waivers

WR is trying to find a home for Kutkevicius - hoping to get the younger guys lots of playing time.

Still need a F, though.

member 71782

With the Morgan deal complete Windsor gets a couple of picks they need but I think Windsor loses on all accounts here.

Morgan as the centrepiece of the Villardi deal is moved one year later. As a first rounder expectations were high, rightfully so and he didn't live up to them. He also, for the most part wasn't put in the best position here either. While everyone needs to be able to play in multiple situations with multiple linemates there needs to be some stability when developing young kids on a young roster. Morgan showed flashes with some while he struggled with others. Part of that is on the player and part on the coaches.

The return on this deal is low as well. Wasn't expecting multiple seconds and thirds plus but a second and two thirds, equal to what Guelph got for Bertuzzi should have been within reach.

After starting the season with two goaltenders, seven D and fourteen forwards and now we're down three forwards, plus one injured.

Bringing in two OAs isn't going to cut it. If they are waiver pick ups they're not likely to contribute much, if any additions involve picks going back out it becomes same old story, move player, get picks just to move the picks right back out again.

If there ends up being a Boka deal that's another player short.

How many picks is Rychel going to move back out just to fill the roster?

Our last few drafts were supposedly very good, there has to be a couple of warm bodies that are capable of playing out the year. If not then how good were those drafts if you can't even fill a roster spot on a struggling team?

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
Why is it the coaching that gets blamed,players have to take ownership, I recall earlier in season in OT,gets penalty shot for the win,doesn't score on cold goalie going in,then he is appointed 1 of 3 shooters in shootout and missed again on the regular goalie.
I thought right there and then,oh boy he is blowing his chances.
I remember that game as well and how disappoint red he was. That was during the stretch of about 6-7 real good games by him. Even though he was playing real well but wasn't scoring how did the coaches reward his efforts? Back to 4th line line playing probably 4-6 minutes a game. That'll get his confidence up. How many players have to fail here before we quit saying its always the players?

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
A 2nd and a 4th are probably a fair return for Morgan.

However trading a 1st rounder at 17yo for a 2nd and a 4th is never good.

I feel like this deal is more for Cody than the Spitfires. It will probably bite them down the line since I do feel like he will be very good, but if Morgan was never going to reach his potential with the situation in Windsor, giving him the chance to do so for any return in a different place is the right thing to do.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
As well, for a player who has been speculated to be problematic in regards to parents/ice time/whatever/etc., leaving with classy comments on teammates and the organization, as well as moving his NTC to go to a team like Flint, shows a lot of character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad