Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
IMO, Hockey Canada should break camp knowing who is there starting goaltender. I would assume that would either be DiPietro or Allen. Their 2nd goaltender should be the best 18yo. Give the backup starts in the 2 "easy" round robin games (the 2 weakest teams in the group) to prepare him for next year. This is also what they should have done last year in preparing for this year. At this point, Canada has no Goaltender with WJC experience.

That was going to be the case regardless imo. Hart was always going to be #1 last year. Colton Point had a better body of work coming into camp last year and by all accounts outperformed him. You should name your roster based upon merit and not necessarily who the younger player is. You pick your team for those 10 days not for what it you think the roster might be a year later. If you named DiPietro last year is he going to be the #1 coming into this year because he was on the team last year?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This made me laugh...

So I'm doing some work that involves former Rychel trades and I got looking up info on the Windsor/Guelph trade where Kerby and Ebert were dealt. Literally, the day before the trade, both teams denied it. In case people ever "Rychel said it's not happening, so..." lol...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
BTW, sad (and not overly surprising) thing - Logan Brown was hurt again last month. He tripped over a stick in practice with the Belleville Bulls (AHL), injured his "lower body", and was expected out 4-6 weeks.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Looks like former OHLer Brock McGillis got to visit the Spitfires today to talk about his LGBTQ/Inclusion cause. Spits posted a team pic on Twitter. (funny enough, I don't see DiPietro or Henault in it... likely has other commitments. I'm in NO WAY implying trade, just a funny coincidence.)

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
BTW, sad (and not overly surprising) thing - Logan Brown was hurt again last month. He tripped over a stick in practice with the Belleville Bulls (AHL), injured his "lower body", and was expected out 4-6 weeks.

#overrated.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Last years WJ team, Dipi was told, it’s your turn next year. These 2 have worked hard and it’s their turn. Don’t agree with it but a lot of teams get picked this way. Tons of politics involved.

Reactions: OHLTG

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Last years WJ team, Dipi was told, it’s your turn next year. These 2 have worked hard and it’s their turn. Don’t agree with it but a lot of teams get picked this way. Tons of politics involved.

Politics involved far too often in competitive hockey.
Unfortunately.

Not speaking of TC starting goalie situation (that will work itself out before crunch time regardless of what was said last year) but just in general.
Yes I think DiPi is on the team because of last year. (Regardless of camp - barring injury of course) But the crunch time starter will be based on camp/tourney performance. JMO

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
2000 born Goalies:

If team Canada invites an 18 year old goalie to the World Junior Selection Camp, as they have for the past few years, is it a foregone conclusion that Olivier Rodrigue gets the 18 year old invite? Jordan Kooy has been playing lights out. Hunter Jones might deserve consideration. Cedrick Andree?

I know the following goalies have been involved in Team Canada over the last 2 years:
Olivier Rodrigue - 2018 U18
Hunter Jones - 2018 U18
Jordan Kooy - 2018 U18
Jacob Ingham - 2018 U18
Carl Stankowski - 2018 U18
Kevin Mandolese - 2018 U18
Colten Ellis - 2018 U18
Alexis Gravel - 2018 U18
Marshall Frappier - 2017 U17

Any other names to toss out?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Per Twitter - Allen, Angle, and Morgan out for the Spitfires tonight.

And Piironen gets the start for Windsor in goal.
Did notice that the lineup sheet showed Morgan dressed for Windsor
Guess we will see.
Guessing unless he is ill,Allen sits because of 2 untimely penalties taken Sunday in the Soo game.

Reactions: OHLTG

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So either the Spits don’t like starting Piironen at home or he gets 2 games this weekend.

Piironen hasn't started at home since game 1 of the season. Also came in relief of Dipietro in an early game vs Saginaw and got the win.
He is 2-0 at home and 1-5 on the road and that was the 3-0 shutout at Kitchener 3 weeks ago tonight.
Guessing Dipietro gets the 2 starts at home this weekend regardless what Piironen does tonight.
Correction on Piironen, he has started or played in 3 games at home,game 4 of season he started against Kitchener and 4 -1,allowed 2 goals as Kitchener scored 2 empty netters.
He only has 4 goals at home in his 3 appearances,record is 2-1.

Last edited:

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
And Piironen gets the start for Windsor in goal.
Did notice that the lineup sheet showed Morgan dressed for Windsor
Guess we will see.
Guessing unless he is ill,Allen sits because of 2 untimely penalties taken Sunday in the Soo game.
It would be strange if they sat both Morgan and Allen unless they are hurt. That would mean only dressing 19.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->