Windsor Spitfires 2018-19 Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Should be noted that the goal didn't count against Dipietro and his goal against average.Game records show 2GA,as the shootout goal doesn't count either against a tender's average either.
Erie's 1st goal counts against Spit empty net goal amount which after 12 games stands at 7.
Last Spits allowed 10 empty netters in 68
games.
I agree that it does not count against his GAA, but he still would have not received a shutout if no other goals had been scored.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Should be noted that the goal didn't count against Dipietro and his goal against average.Game records show 2GA,as the shootout goal doesn't count either against a tender's average either.
Erie's 1st goal counts against Spit empty net goal amount which after 12 games stands at 7.
Last Spits allowed 10 empty netters in 68
games.
I was looking at the box score thinking the OHL had made a mistake with DiPietro's #'s, then figured it out. Watched the highlights and realized it was just Jean-Luc Foudy doing a Sean Day tribute. He could have been a little more careful with the puck but it wasn't the most egregious self inflicted EN I've seen. He'll have 50 plays this year that will make you forget all about that one and at worst, it really only cost a point.

Reactions: spitz fan 4ever

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Hey how about instead of beating a dead horse people agree to disagree??? This fight argument is frankly dumb! There’s 2 distinct sides on this forum. We’re not gonna agree on much of anything. I’m amused by those that just look to beat this team down. It’s obvious guys, your not Spits fans and there’s another agenda. The other side has its homers too and I’m not a fan of blindly following either.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
DiPietro is clearly frustrated based upon the comments after the game.

“I don’t think one things missing, but there is something,” Spitfires goalie Mikey DiPietro said. “I can’t put my finger on it and we have to find it in our room. We’re the only people that can fix it here.”

“To say it’s one thing, I think it’s a bundle of things,” said DiPietro, whose team is 5-6-0-1 on the season and 1-4-0-1 away from home. “I think we have to learn how to play with a lead, I think we have to learn when we will deal with penalty. It cost us in Niagara and tonight.

“We have to manage the game better. We have to manage pucks better in the area and hopefully that will give us more success down the road.”

Inconsistent Spitfires let one slip away in shootout loss to Otters

Judging by all these statements it's not something that will get solved in the next couple weeks or even a month. This will take months to solve.

Earlofpoundcake

Sep 22, 2018
Foudy’s accidental goal against his own team will haunt him forever. And ever. That said, he should be penalized like his veteran teammates who suffer for much less infractions. He should have sat out a few shifts. Poor kid.

NorthHockey

Sep 9, 2014
Foudy’s accidental goal against his own team will haunt him forever. And ever. That said, he should be penalized like his veteran teammates who suffer for much less infractions. He should have sat out a few shifts. Poor kid.

Not too many goalies are taught not to leave the net on a delayed penalty until your team is exiting your zone. Good example here. D man could also have the puck poked check into the net by opposing team which also would count as a goal. Back to basics.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I disagree...Foudy has impressed as a rookie, and should be forgiven for this gaffe however costly. No need to call him out, and no need to demoralize a 16 year old with a benching--even for a few shifts. I just don't like the message that would send given that he's playing with a lot of confidence, and showing that he is one of the better rookies in the league.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Watching the Hometown Hockey from London makes you realize what a high standard the Hunter's have set to develop a top Junior Team. Look at the amount of top NHL players that developed in their system. It has been special, winning 3 Memorial Cups in the past 10 years.
It will be even better when The Spits are considered the place to play Junior hockey, continually developing top NHL players, and drawing a fan base that is consistent with the quality of the team.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sunday’s Debacle.....
Now that the dust has cleared and we have all the *hits and giggles out of the way I’d like to give my impressions of yesterday’s game.
The Spitfire’s played a decent game for a team that is in all likelihood going to squeeze into the playoffs. They managed to play down to the level of Erie and are even capable of playing down to the level of The Flintstones. They will at one time or another even beat the top ranked teams in the OHL.
The thing is they won’t be consistently terrible or great. If we can get used to it, all will be fine.
Do they have a chance of getting a whole lot better real quick? IMHO chances are slim and none.
You can trade DiPietro, and that appears to be the plan, but what that gives you is picks and prospects for next year and beyond. Nothing you get back will jump us up the standings this year. The team that gets DiPietro is keeping that kind of asset for their run.
Shoot- out: Just my opinion but as soon as I saw the rookies shooting I was screaming. Give me vets shooting in the first round.
As for Erie shooting they paid attention...shoot glove high or blocker high on DiPietro don’t try to deke him ...he goes down quickly..

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I was looking at the standings, and 2 things jumped out. The balance of power seems to be shifting from the West to the East. A month into the season, the East holds an 11 game lead over the West.

Ottawa has the best record in the league. DiPietro's price tag may be getting smaller.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Sunday’s Debacle.....
Now that the dust has cleared and we have all the *hits and giggles out of the way I’d like to give my impressions of yesterday’s game.
The Spitfire’s played a decent game for a team that is in all likelihood going to squeeze into the playoffs. They managed to play down to the level of Erie and are even capable of playing down to the level of The Flintstones. They will at one time or another even beat the top ranked teams in the OHL.
The thing is they won’t be consistently terrible or great. If we can get used to it, all will be fine.
Do they have a chance of getting a whole lot better real quick? IMHO chances are slim and none.
You can trade DiPietro, and that appears to be the plan, but what that gives you is picks and prospects for next year and beyond. Nothing you get back will jump us up the standings this year. The team that gets DiPietro is keeping that kind of asset for their run.
Shoot- out: Just my opinion but as soon as I saw the rookies shooting I was screaming. Give me vets shooting in the first round.
As for Erie shooting they paid attention...shoot glove high or blocker high on DiPietro don’t try to deke him ...he goes down quickly..

The problem is that this has been a common refrain. Playing down to an opposition who played the night before. Lamenting missed opportunities etc..

I agree they won't be terrible or won't be great but that shouldn't be the goal. Rychel said this group reminded him of 07-08. Either he was blowing smoke or there has been a lot of wrong evaluations of the players. The idea of squeezing into the playoffs just to lose in round 1 isn't acceptable at this stage.

Reactions: Duke Guy

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The problem is that this has been a common refrain. Playing down to an opposition who played the night before. Lamenting missed opportunities etc..

I agree they won't be terrible or won't be great but that shouldn't be the goal. Rychel said this group reminded him of 07-08. Either he was blowing smoke or there has been a lot of wrong evaluations of the players. The idea of squeezing into the playoffs just to lose in round 1 isn't acceptable at this stage.
I certainly agree it shouldn't be the goal but what I'm saying is no way Jose are they better than that and they haven't got the talent nor the prospects of getting it and while squeezing into the playoffs isn't acceptable its better than not making it at all. If you can can figure a logical way for them to do that your a better man than I am Gunga Din...

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
At this point, fans will get rather cranky if they squeeze into the playoffs. This team needs a jolt in the post-season and winning a round is the only cure. Thankfully, cowbells are not involved.

member 71782

Windsor is definitely in a tough spot until Rychel makes some changes. Adding from outside the organization via trade isn't going to happen until they move bodies out and with their current draft pick situation they need to move DiPietro before that's a realistic option.

Currently Windsor's draft picks are as follows:

2019 - 4th, KIT 5th, KNG 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 14th
2020 - 4th, KIT 4th, OSH 4th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th OTT 14th, 15th
2021 - 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, BAR 15th, OTT 15th (Cond)
2022 - KNG 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2023 - KIT 2nd, KIT 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2024 - KNG 2nd, BAR 3rd. 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2025 - KGN 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2026 - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2027 - 2nd, KGN 2nd (Cond), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th
2028 - 2nd, KGN 2nd (Cond), 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th

Doesn't leave Rychel a lot to work with in terms of bringing in outside players if he can only deal until 2024 (?). 3 2nds and 3 3rds to finish emptying the cupboards if he wants to add from outside.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
The fact that WR hasn't traded DiPietro yet is ridiculous. He should have traded him before the season started - he's lost value already. I can only hope he's held on to him for the franchise win record to build his number retirement resume and will deal him soon as he gets another win.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
The fact that WR hasn't traded DiPietro yet is ridiculous. He should have traded him before the season started - he's lost value already. I can only hope he's held on to him for the franchise win record to build his number retirement resume and will deal him soon as he gets another win.

Agreed. The only reason that he wasn't dealt last season when the price was the highest has to be that he refused a trade. If not... I don't even know how an offer like that can be refused. After his performance in the Sarnia series, the only place his value could go was down by playing.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From all I've read/heard, it sounds like he didn't want to be dealt last season but is open to it this year. Now that he's close to the wins record, I'd expect that to be hit, then all bets are off. Frankly, the sooner the better. Not because I'm eager to get him out of town but because the franchise needs to rip the bandaid off, so to speak. He's a great kid and has done a ton for this team.

Reactions: tomschman

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was looking at the standings, and 2 things jumped out. The balance of power seems to be shifting from the West to the East. A month into the season, the East holds an 11 game lead over the West.

Ottawa has the best record in the league. DiPietro's price tag may be getting smaller.

Yup

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
From all I've read/heard, it sounds like he didn't want to be dealt last season but is open to it this year. Now that he's close to the wins record, I'd expect that to be hit, then all bets are off. Frankly, the sooner the better. Not because I'm eager to get him out of town but because the franchise needs to rip the bandaid off, so to speak. He's a great kid and has done a ton for this team.

At this stage it makes little sense for any team to trade for him until after the WJHC. Assuming he breaks the wins record this week (needs one I believe), that leaves only about 5-6 weeks until the Team Canada Camp. Then he’d be gone for another 4-5 weeks.

I doubt the 67’s are in a rush to trade at this point. Andre has played well and even if the 67’s are entertaining the opportunity at this point, I think it would benefit them to keep Andre playing through Christmas to increase his experience level. Again, that is even if the 67’s are seriously interested now. They may just shore up the backup role with a veteran goalie that can platoon or take over if Andre falters.

I still think the 67’s are interested and are a viable destination for DiPietro but I am less inclined to think that now as opposed to 4 weeks ago. I would think they aren’t as hungry to spend the picks. I would think they would wait until closer to the deadline to see what becomes available and the price to acquire players and spend their picks in a more judicious way.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like what Andre has done for the 67s, but the playoffs are a different beast. If this is Ottawa's seaon to go for a run, I wouldn't put all of my pucks in Andre's net, so to speak. I'd still try to get DiPietro's experience.

That said, early November is when Rychel has pulled off big deals before (ie. Kuhnhackl, Campbell). If/when DiPietro sets the record, anything could happen.

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
At this stage it makes little sense for any team to trade for him until after the WJHC. Assuming he breaks the wins record this week (needs one I believe), that leaves only about 5-6 weeks until the Team Canada Camp. Then he’d be gone for another 4-5 weeks.

I doubt the 67’s are in a rush to trade at this point. Andre has played well and even if the 67’s are entertaining the opportunity at this point, I think it would benefit them to keep Andre playing through Christmas to increase his experience level. Again, that is even if the 67’s are seriously interested now. They may just shore up the backup role with a veteran goalie that can platoon or take over if Andre falters.

I still think the 67’s are interested and are a viable destination for DiPietro but I am less inclined to think that now as opposed to 4 weeks ago. I would think they aren’t as hungry to spend the picks. I would think they would wait until closer to the deadline to see what becomes available and the price to acquire players and spend their picks in a more judicious way.

With the picks Ottawa has, they can address any needs (and even wants) and add pretty much any and every big fish that would be available on the market this year to their already stacked team. Pretty incredible position asset-wise to be in for a run year. They have assets built like a bottom-feeding rebuilding team but have a potential championship roster.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I like what Andre has done for the 67s, but the playoffs are a different beast. If this is Ottawa's seaon to go for a run, I wouldn't put all of my pucks in Andre's net, so to speak. I'd still try to get DiPietro's experience.

That said, early November is when Rychel has pulled off big deals before (ie. Kuhnhackl, Campbell). If/when DiPietro sets the record, anything could happen.

However other than 1 week, DiPietro has not won much in the playoff either

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
However other than 1 week, DiPietro has not won much in the playoff either

Dipietro is part of the team,not the team,the fact he got drafted, and signed before this season,his goals against average and save percentage was very good every year he played postseason and in his draft year on a national stage with a fully and healthy roster we saw what he can do,NHL people clearly saw it,as well as being tied for career league shutouts for goalies,he has been outstanding for Windsor both on and off the ice a true Spitfire always positive not negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->