Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Trying to catch up here:

I do think that Windsor should try the rebuild with a younger team. It'll be good to have a couple more 19 year olds but I definitely think the 17's would help us more down the road. Even if these guys get traded later on, playing more in the OHL will build up their value.

What happened with Laishram? Just chose not to return? Playing elsewhere?

This is my third season as a spits fan (since Plymouth disappeared), what was the reasoning for the sanctions? I've heard a lot about them except for the reasoning.

If Carrick is anything like his brother, him turning down Windsor hurts. Connor was fantastic to watch,was hoping to see his brother follow in his footsteps.

I don't think we're in bad shape. It'll take a few years to rebuild, but I'd rather go through a couple non-playoff/low seed years then have two years as a top dog, then Red Wing it and squeeze by every year in the middle of the pack and never have a shot at a cup

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
What happened with Laishram? Just chose not to return? Playing elsewhere?

I remember reading he was going to college and EliteProspects has him playing for St FX this season.

This is my third season as a spits fan (since Plymouth disappeared), what was the reasoning for the sanctions? I've heard a lot about them except for the reasoning.

Someone (1-2 people) told the league that the Spitfires did something illegal relating to player recruitment. Since it happened, there has been plenty of talk about who it was, but I don't think it's ever been made official.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Also, just because a team releases or cuts a player doesn't mean they aren't valued. There's just no room for them at the time. Windsor is proof of that; four quality free agents in the last four years.

mizzi has 6 points in 2 CHL seasons. larionov has been cut 3 times. if you can show me a guy that has been cut 3 times and plays well on team 4 im all ears.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I do think that Windsor should try the rebuild with a younger team. It'll be good to have a couple more 19 year olds but I definitely think the 17's would help us more down the road. Even if these guys get traded later on, playing more in the OHL will build up their value

thats my only point. its better to have 17 year olds that can stay vs 19 year old dead end guys. problem is i dont think they had more 17 year old forwards to sign? the Aloise kid was the only drafted 99F cut at camp if I remember correctly?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

thats my only point. its better to have 17 year olds that can stay vs 19 year old dead end guys. problem is i dont think they had more 17 year old forwards to sign? the Aloise kid was the only drafted 99F cut at camp if I remember correctly?

Why sign unproven 17 year old players to 3 year deals,if are unsure they can make team to play in exhibition games, when free agent 19 year olds don't cost u anything.
Unless they are signed,and with 17 year old Americans free agent or drafted,they can't be sent to JrB because of age,plus it costs Windsor 5000 per semester of high school for American born players.
Also most 17 year olds won't play exhibition games unless u sign them, free agents mean automatic A card regardless of age,I understand u want a younger team,though u have to admit 19 players out of 30,18 of 26 that dressed exhibition games to me is a non issue.
It's not a cut and dry issue.
18 or 19 if u include Vilardi are 18 and under out of 30 players,

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Additional info
Of the 24 players still in camp, excluding the big 4 plus the 2, players sent to Jr B,17 of them are
18 or younger.
3G,5D,9F,and if 1 goalie-Patton is cut to get to the 23 player limit 16 out of 23 are 18 and under,not that old of a team.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
mizzi has 6 points in 2 CHL seasons. larionov has been cut 3 times. if you can show me a guy that has been cut 3 times and plays well on team 4 im all ears.

I don't recall a player who has been cut three times, but Windsor also have a knack of making history, so...

BTW, Jake Smith has 65 points in 117 Q games.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Personally I don't give two craps which organization agents and NHL execs would want their kids to play for. I want my kid to play for Windsor so he can win a Memorial Cup. From my perspective as a fan, I want to support a team that wins and I want them to win the biggest prize. If that means fewer alumni play in the NHL I can deal with it. I don't know what people want out of this team, as a junior hockey fan you're privileged if your team is able to take a run every couple of years and that's what we have. The memories of watching Paul Giallonardo lead the team to another loss are still too fresh for me to complain about not getting love from a hockey news poll or being crummy the year after winning a freaking cup.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
Personally I don't give two craps which organization agents and NHL execs would want their kids to play for. I want my kid to play for Windsor so he can win a Memorial Cup. From my perspective as a fan, I want to support a team that wins and I want them to win the biggest prize. If that means fewer alumni play in the NHL I can deal with it. I don't know what people want out of this team, as a junior hockey fan you're privileged if your team is able to take a run every couple of years and that's what we have. The memories of watching Paul Giallonardo lead the team to another loss are still too fresh for me to complain about not getting love from a hockey news poll or being crummy the year after winning a freaking cup.

I totally understand. I remember watching a memorial cup game in the mid 90's thinking I will never see the Spitfires play in a memorial cup tournament again for the rest of my life. Nevermind see them win one. Now to witness them do it 3 times in different fashions each time in such a short time frame is truly unbelievable.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Neat footnote about the championships:

Three teams - Kamloops, Cornwall, and Windsor - have won three titles (as their current city). Windsor is the only one to win a title in every league (Q, W, O). Kamloops won twice in the West and once in Quebec. Cornwall won twice in Ontario and once in the West.

Reactions: LeafsFan18

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

I understand your sentiment but agents/advisors pretty much can control the interests of the kids and if they hook the parents then the game is on.

Yes you would want your kid to win a Memorial Cup in Windsor but the last cycle where they had a bunch of great players and success was 08-10, into 11. This year they were hosting it. Unless the team is off the hook good with a bunch of star players Windsor at this stage has to show it on the ice. They need to win division titles, get to western finals, get to OHL Finals.

Giallonardo played with guys like Spezza, Mather, Hildenbrand, Ott, Gleason etc.. I prefer to remember those five as opposed to Giallonardo but to each their own.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
One positive has to be that, when the team really wants something, they go for it. There's no holding back. If it's my kid, I see Windsor's passion for winning and trying to bring success to the club and city. That can't be overlooked. Are they always successful? No. Is the effort there? Absolutely.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
One positive has to be that, when the team really wants something, they go for it. There's no holding back. If it's my kid, I see Windsor's passion for winning and trying to bring success to the club and city. That can't be overlooked. Are they always successful? No. Is the effort there? Absolutely.

You just described every junior hockey franchise.

Reactions: LeafsFan18

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Why sign unproven 17 year old players to 3 year deals,if are unsure they can make team to play in exhibition games, when free agent 19 year olds don't cost u anything.
Unless they are signed,and with 17 year old Americans free agent or drafted,they can't be sent to JrB because of age,plus it costs Windsor 5000 per semester of high school for American born players.
Also most 17 year olds won't play exhibition games unless u sign them, free agents mean automatic A card regardless of age,I understand u want a younger team,though u have to admit 19 players out of 30,18 of 26 that dressed exhibition games to me is a non issue.
It's not a cut and dry issue.
18 or 19 if u include Vilardi are 18 and under out of 30 players,

were in a rebuild, no doubt about that, but teams in the west like london, owen sound, kitchener et al have more 17 year olds then we do. they have more 16 year olds then us to when you think about it. if we're in a rebuild, its not good that other teams that have better players this year have younger players. they don't need guys cut by 3 other teams to be players, they have 16/17 year olds to fill the roster. that's not a good sign for the next few years.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

were in a rebuild, no doubt about that, but teams in the west like london, owen sound, kitchener et al have more 17 year olds then we do. they have more 16 year olds then us to when you think about it. if we're in a rebuild, its not good that other teams that have better players this year have younger players. they don't need guys cut by 3 other teams to be players, they have 16/17 year olds to fill the roster. that's not a good sign for the next few years.

Any of those teams you spoke about will have to spend those 17 year olds if they wish to contend this season,guess we will have to agree to disagree,I see no issues having 5- 17 year olds instead of 6 or 7, like I said including Vilardi,you have 18 players 18 and under,plus when it's time to deal Dipietro and Vilardi,assets will be re recaptured,too bad the same may not be realized should Brown, Sergachev and Day stay in the pros as underagers,though I am thinking Brown may be back, guessing he will be moved if he does.
Guys like Mizzi and Latta won't move the needle temporary fixes if anything,I have more confidence in Larionov and Smith.
I preach patience in any rebuild,and because the GM has been more successful then any OHL Gm currently employed my faith has not been shaken.I like the look of the goaltending, defense future wise,and I feel the fowards will work itself out.
Don't want to see this waste thousands of dollars who might not make it,when 19 year olds can be had for free when playing in exhibition games.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Any of those teams you spoke about will have to spend those 17 year olds if they wish to contend this season,guess we will have to agree to disagree,I see no issues having 5- 17 year olds instead of 6 or 7, like I said including Vilardi,you have 18 players 18 and under,plus when it's time to deal Dipietro and Vilardi,assets will be re recaptured,too bad the same may not be realized should Brown, Sergachev and Day stay in the pros as underagers,though I am thinking Brown may be back, guessing he will be moved if he does.
Guys like Mizzi and Latta won't move the needle temporary fixes if anything,I have more confidence in Larionov and Smith.
I preach patience in any rebuild,and because the GM has been more successful then any OHL Gm currently employed my faith has not been shaken.I like the look of the goaltending, defense future wise,and I feel the fowards will work itself out.
Don't want to see this waste thousands of dollars who might not make it,when 19 year olds can be had for free when playing in exhibition games.

If this gm has been more successful than any OHL gm currently why isn't Windsor viewed as one of the top 3 organizations in the OHL? After all it was based upon a poll of nhl execs/agents/advisors. Warren might be well respected among his peers but there's certainly something holding those people back from putting Windsor in the top 3. What do you think is holding Windsor back??

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Who cares about the Hockey News poll! lol Yes we did not get out of the first round against London, but we did just pull off a huge upset and win the biggest prize in Junior hockey!!Yes we were the host team...blah blah blah...A win is a win! The Spits have not even played a regular season game yet, but they are currently undefeated in preseason, one day at a time, one game at a time, lets see how it plays out, lets see how these kids play under Letowski's systems. There are also the rest of the teams in the league that have their stuff to deal with also. Stay positive until there is a point not to.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
If this gm has been more successful than any OHL gm currently why isn't Windsor viewed as one of the top 3 organizations in the OHL? After all it was based upon a poll of nhl execs/agents/advisors. Warren might be well respected among his peers but there's certainly something holding those people back from putting Windsor in the top 3. What do you think is holding Windsor back??

If you read that article it's based on the premise of asking which organization would these execs want their kids to play for, so it's about which organizations give players the best chance to reach the NHL. If you as a fan think the priority for the team is developing NHL players, that's your business. I prefer to think the best team is the one that oh, I don't know..... wins? We don't need to ask NHL execs that question because they award a trophy each year to answer it and we won the effing thing.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Don't know the answer to your question,I might have to ask SSM,Owen Sound, Kitchener, Oshawa that question too.
4 defensemen signing pro contracts this past season,a player for going a 4 year deal at Amherst, MacDougall gets acquired from Barrie and signs,and as I mentioned Steve Staios seems okay to having his son drafted in the 1st round and signing here.
All this works for me.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
If you read that article it's based on the premise of asking which organization would these execs want their kids to play for, so it's about which organizations give players the best chance to reach the NHL. If you as a fan think the priority for the team is developing NHL players, that's your business. I prefer to think the best team is the one that oh, I don't know..... wins? We don't need to ask NHL execs that question because they award a trophy each year to answer it and we won the effing thing.

Don't you think agents/advisors have a huge impact on how those organizations perform and are perceived?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Don't know the answer to your question,I might have to ask SSM,Owen Sound, Kitchener, Oshawa that question too.
4 defensemen signing pro contracts this past season,a player for going a 4 year deal at Amherst, MacDougall gets acquired from Barrie and signs,and as I mentioned Steve Staios seems okay to having his son drafted in the 1st round and signing here.
All this works for me.

All of this works for you of course but you still don't know why the organization isn't thought more highly of? In regards to your Staios comment only Hamilton had a shot to draft him out of the top 3. Windsor picked before London and Erie, that's a small minor detail you left out. In regards to MacDougall good for the Spits, hope it works out for the kid scholarship to Amherst is a lot to give up, a lot riding on that decision. Why did you purposely evade my question and move the goalposts?

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

All of this works for you of course but you still don't know why the organization isn't thought more highly of? In regards to your Staios comment only Hamilton had a shot to draft him out of the top 3. Windsor picked before London and Erie, that's a small minor detail you left out. In regards to MacDougall good for the Spits, hope it works out for the kid scholarship to Amherst is a lot to give up, a lot riding on that decision. Why did you purposely evade my question and move the goalposts?

I told you I don't know why,and if Staios didn't want his son here he could have told Windsor not to draft him, clearly he didn't.
Perhaps because u seem to have all the answers,why didn't Owen Sound and SSM,the team you are a slappy for make the list? Hounds have not done dick since Boughner was there in 93 as a player there.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't know what the issue is with Windsor not being in the top three. If there was a top five list and Windsor was on it at four or five, people would be cheering because we're doing something right. Not being in the top three isn't a big deal. London and Erie have clearly been elites for a while now. Hamilton has the right people in place. If we're top five, or even top eight, I'm content with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad