Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Breathe folks. This is going to be okay. You win a game, people go "not good enough." You lose a game and people freak out like our season is done. Just for the record - we have nine games to go in the regular season.

- As soon as Sarnia scored from the boards, you could feel momentum swing 100%. Someone needs to step up and control that.
- The PP. I'm no coach. I won't pretend to be. When you have a guy like Bracco with a right-handed shot, why not have him on the opposite wing getting one-timers from Brown? We have the passing down but seem scared to shoot.
- The Sergachev temper tantrum (only way to describe it) was the turning point. If you disagree with a call, calmly talk to the official, serve it, and move on. Pushing a guy down won't help. It's proven that it won't help. The ONLY good thing that could come of this would be a line brawl. (yes, that's slight sarcasm...) I'm not against the benching here. Emotional outbursts are too common anymore and I've said this at the rink, too.
- I appreciate the systematic approach to games. It got us from last to nearly first last year. However, it appears to be limiting creativity in the offensive zone. I enjoy winning games, but when you're sitting on a 2-0 lead, that's a bit much. You should be thinking "let's get 3, 4, or 5." You can't score if you're not shooting. Focus on defence but shoot, shoot, shoot when you're in the O-zone.

This is a tough one to swallow but they need to refocus. Thursday is kind of a make-or-break for the division. Three points is quite possible to come back from. Seven is very unlikely. Does Windsor want it bad enough? We'll see.

With one game to go in the season and The Spits are 9 out of first, I am sure there will be a positive spin, such as, they have saved all their energy for the playoffs. Rocky says this team is the best conditioned team in the league. You can see that when they play 10 to 20 minutes total per game. Reward those that are doing little and repeat, and this type of effort and result will continue as well. No leadership equals poor result. How can anyone justify how poorly this team is playing, especially heading into the playoffs. One and done almost for certain the way the players are reacting to the coaching!

Sec104

Jan 9, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but we're probably hands down going to be the lowest seeded team EVER going into a memorial cup... I know one thing, and that is we won't have to spend much on playoff tickets! #knockedoutinthefirst

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
That might take me a bit to find out, but I will say this - in recent years, there have been multiple fourth seeds who have been in (as host or otherwise).

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Ive noticed the past few games that Sergy has had a Hate on for either ref's or opposing players.A bit out of character for him.

I suspect other things in motion here, like problems in the room/finger pointing etc.

Players seeing some dont give a crap why should they.Too late for Rocky to take things in hand now, should have been done way back.Too much put on hosting as in $$$ when the whip should have been cracked.

We've all tried looking through TG's rose coloured glasses the whole season but now theyre starting to fog up.

:rant::popcorn:

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
With one game to go in the season and The Spits are 9 out of first, I am sure there will be a positive spin, such as, they have saved all their energy for the playoffs. Rocky says this team is the best conditioned team in the league. You can see that when they play 10 to 20 minutes total per game. Reward those that are doing little and repeat, and this type of effort and result will continue as well. No leadership equals poor result. How can anyone justify how poorly this team is playing, especially heading into the playoffs. One and done almost for certain the way the players are reacting to the coaching!

You can only rationalize losses to a certain extent. This team has been trailing the Hounds for the past 8 weeks and barely made a dent. That's on the players, coaches and management. Why haven't they made a dent in that lead? Why are they so reliant upon a 17 year old goalie? Why isn't one of their top forwards in Brown playing with a pulse? I can understand struggles but he's seemingly going through the motions.

This organization severely overestimated the talent they had coming into this year. They envisioned a long playoff run, lots of home playoff games, maybe a OHL title. Other saw it differently and a month from now they might be eliminated from the playoffs. There's nothing we have seen that leads us to believe they match up well with a team like Owen Sound. There's nothing we have seen that leads us to believe they could go through 3 teams like Owen Sound/London/Erie/Soo. There's less than 10 games and people are still saying wait, wait, wait. Well judging by the boos people are tired of waiting. It's time to start producing, being accountable players and coaches and show what they can do. The scary part is we have seen 59 games already and it's doubtful these final 9 will amount to much.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
You can only rationalize losses to a certain extent. This team has been trailing the Hounds for the past 8 weeks and barely made a dent. That's on the players, coaches and management. Why haven't they made a dent in that lead? Why are they so reliant upon a 17 year old goalie? Why isn't one of their top forwards in Brown playing with a pulse? I can understand struggles but he's seemingly going through the motions.

This organization severely overestimated the talent they had coming into this year. They envisioned a long playoff run, lots of home playoff games, maybe a OHL title. Other saw it differently and a month from now they might be eliminated from the playoffs. There's nothing we have seen that leads us to believe they match up well with a team like Owen Sound. There's nothing we have seen that leads us to believe they could go through 3 teams like Owen Sound/London/Erie/Soo. There's less than 10 games and people are still saying wait, wait, wait. Well judging by the boos people are tired of waiting. It's time to start producing, being accountable players and coaches and show what they can do. The scary part is we have seen 59 games already and it's doubtful these final 9 will amount to much.

well said, but hate to beat a dead horse again but in regards to talent coming in, they had to have thought for certain fischer and keller would be here, but thats a different story to discuss. After watching the game the other night I would have really liked to have seen Hodgson here from saginaw, he plays the type of game that is needed and missing right now. Not really expecting to much the rest of the year, it would take a epic collapse from soo to give this up now,
after getting the email in regards to the playoff round tickets :amazed: maybe we can save some money with the early exit.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario

The Spits were tied with the Hounds for tops in the division at one point. Give SSM credit; they've played very strong this season.

This organization severely overestimated the talent they had coming into this year.

The talent is there - Brown, Vilardi, Nattinen, DiGiacinto, Stanley, Chatfield, Sergachev, DiPietro, Addison, etc. There's no denying this team has talent. It's bringing it all together - motivation, chemistry, etc. - that has been the issue.

One of our biggest issues this season has been playing down to opponents. It's become a staple of this board, too... "we should be dominating teams like (insert team here)." Perhaps playing OS or London in the first round is a kick this team needs.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
The Spits were tied with the Hounds for tops in the division at one point. Give SSM credit; they've played very strong this season.

The talent is there - Brown, Vilardi, Nattinen, DiGiacinto, Stanley, Chatfield, Sergachev, DiPietro, Addison, etc. There's no denying this team has talent. It's bringing it all together - motivation, chemistry, etc. - that has been the issue.

and that comes down to coaching staff

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Correct... and I have been rather "hmmm" about that over the last couple of weeks. You can see the players trying to adjust to systems and it has led to malfunctioning situations in the offensive zone.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

yes it is a cop out, goalies dont prove his argument, surprised the games Garland and Rocky missed werent included.
:naughty:

Spits went 3-0 when Thompson was away with -17, defeating SSM,North Bay and Saginaw,all at home,and Sergachev joined the team for his 1st game in game 3 vs Saginaw.
Nice try though

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
well said, but hate to beat a dead horse again but in regards to talent coming in, they had to have thought for certain fischer and keller would be here, but thats a different story to discuss. After watching the game the other night I would have really liked to have seen Hodgson here from saginaw, he plays the type of game that is needed and missing right now. Not really expecting to much the rest of the year, it would take a epic collapse from soo to give this up now,
after getting the email in regards to the playoff round tickets :amazed: maybe we can save some money with the early exit.

I didn't think Fischer would be back. He was more advanced than Sieloff, Arizona had a weaker system and there would be room. Keller not sure why there was so much confidence on that front just because he was a high 1st didn't mean he would come running to Windsor.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
Correct... and I have been rather "hmmm" about that over the last couple of weeks. You can see the players trying to adjust to systems and it has led to malfunctioning situations in the offensive zone.

dont you think thats an issue at this time of the year? I mean they have had 59 games of adjusting. I agree with HL that JN needs to be made a healthy scratch and if we lose to ssm thursday night then i think you ride with Culina for a few games and give MD some rest heading into the playoffs, this workload on a 17 yr old maybe he starting to catch up to him

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
I didn't think Fischer would be back. He was more advanced than Sieloff, Arizona had a weaker system and there would be room. Keller not sure why there was so much confidence on that front just because he was a high 1st didn't mean he would come running to Windsor.

yes I agree I didnt think he was back either, and always thought keller was a long shot despite what some had posted, but you have to think in there bid presentation when they looked at rosters they prob had them penciled in.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

One of our biggest issues this season has been playing down to opponents. It's become a staple of this board, too... "we should be dominating teams like (insert team here)." Perhaps playing OS or London in the first round is a kick this team needs.

No this team needs to win the division and avoid OS/Ldn in round 1. They haven't played well against OS and I would prefer not playing in the real small rink because Windsor never adjusted to playing in that type of rink. I would rather not see the Spits play a championship experienced London team either.

No the biggest issue is that they were too reliant upon their PP and PK to carry them through the first 40+ games. You need strong special teams but opponents will adjust and the Spits will need to adjust. One staple of the team this year has been poor 4/4, 5/5 play. They are a +23 accounting for PPGF, SHGF, SHGA etc.. So in all their games this year even strength play they have only outscored the opposition by 23 goals. Rocky is fine if you want 80 points some talent works hard and there are some wins. If you want a long playoff run, a coach that makes adjustments and the looks of a confident team in big games Rocky isn't your coach.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
yes I agree I didnt think he was back either, and always thought keller was a long shot despite what some had posted, but you have to think in there bid presentation when they looked at rosters they prob had them penciled in.

If Windsor was indeed the only team to bid then roster composition likely had zero bearing on winning the bid. They don't look like a strong contender and it's still a reflection on the CHL and their archaic style of choosing a host for the Memorial Cup. The Spits coaches/management/players have to accept responsibility though because they wanted this responsibility.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I get a kick over the over reaction of losing a game,like the earth is falling,yet say little when they win.
No doubt I was disappointed in the final outcome,and collapse in the 3rd.People react like it's a regular occurrence well it hasn't been.
Today's loss is the 1st time in 33 games in regulation that the Spits lose when leading after 2 periods.
As for those wondering about leaning on a 17 year old tender, forget it, Dipietro is 2nd in league goals average, McNiven is No#1, they both have played 46, he is also 2nd in save per centage .922, McNiven is .921, Parsons is #1 at.926, though he has played 20 less games then Dipietro and McNiven.
Any concerns about overwork should not be there,in the last 5 games he has played he has faced total of 113 shots, average of less then 23 a game, hardly alot of work,and only 1 back to back situation,you can bet Owen Sound is going with McNiven most of way see no difference here.Dipietro's work ethic and mature approach and ability to rebound is beyond his years.Could he have been better in the 3rd,yes but he had some help.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I don't think DiPietro has looked as well as what we're used to seeing. Not that he is playing bad but there's a few goals/plays he would like back. IMO, I get why we are riding him but need to give him a break as well. Culina needs to get into a couple of games, overworking DiPietro isn't a good plan IMO.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I don't blame people for turning on this team. At this point in the season to lose on home ice with a third period collapse to a team below them in the standings who's finishing a three in two and a half all on the road covering 560km. While they waited at home with a day off, is not acceptable. This team has no business being on the ice during the memorial cup.
I did find it funny that the fans started yelling pass as the Spits continued to pass on quality scoring chances. That's pretty bad.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Sergachev gets benched in the 3rd - long overdue - problem is it is just that - long overdue- this should have happened in November and December not 10 games left in the year and we desperately need points. I read Rocky's defense of the benching and in that he said we still have lots of time to win it all - really?

So upper management go out and get a number of high end offensive players to help supplement/lead in our run to the finish line. Problem is they were immediately throw into "system quicksand" where there skill is stifled and creativity is lost. These players come from teams that allowed them the ability to "free wheel" and not be stuck in a ridged system. All players in this league need to learn systems , the NHL is driven on systems but creativity needs to be allowed out to play as well. You can see this by the body gestures and the lack of heart when they are on the ice - you can system the fun right out of the hockey and a team not having fun is not winning.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Sergachev gets benched in the 3rd - long overdue - problem is it is just that - long overdue- this should have happened in November and December not 10 games left in the year and we desperately need points. I read Rocky's defense of the benching and in that he said we still have lots of time to win it all - really?

So upper management go out and get a number of high end offensive players to help supplement/lead in our run to the finish line. Problem is they were immediately throw into "system quicksand" where there skill is stifled and creativity is lost. These players come from teams that allowed them the ability to "free wheel" and not be stuck in a ridged system. All players in this league need to learn systems , the NHL is driven on systems but creativity needs to be allowed out to play as well. You can see this by the body gestures and the lack of heart when they are on the ice - you can system the fun right out of the hockey and a team not having fun is not winning.
A very good post IMHO

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

Agreed with both you and Youngblood. You don't start picking battles and sending messages with 9 games left and 5 points back of a 2 seed. Rocky says he has to send a message for the team to respond the right way. Well with 9 games left he should already know how the team will respond. The Soo is on Thurs and even if the Spits won they are still 3 points behind them. In other words the Spits need to have 3 more wins than the Soo the rest of the year because a tie in the standings goes to Soo via more wins. Spits may have to go 8-1 down the stretch and that's extremely unlikely.

As for the systems this was a question back in November and it was seemingly ignored. Now it's suddenly a question that's like back in Nov it was a small waste paper basket fire nothing was really done and now it's a 5 alarm blaze and you're trying to salvage what's left of the place. These seeds were sown months ago and it's finally blooming.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
I don't blame people for turning on this team. At this point in the season to lose on home ice with a third period collapse to a team below them in the standings who's finishing a three in two and a half all on the road covering 560km. While they waited at home with a day off, is not acceptable. This team has no business being on the ice during the memorial cup.
I did find it funny that the fans started yelling pass as the Spits continued to pass on quality scoring chances. That's pretty bad.

I thought this in the London game as Natinnen and others continued to pass when they had an open shot....I think there is a mutiny going on.

These players have been told numerous times yet some still continue to do it.I dont believe they are that dumb.They seem to be flipping Rocky the bird by doing what theyre doing.

Also Outsider nailed it.....the rigid systems have taken the fun out of the game for players.Ive said in the past this spits team doesnt seem to have any comraderie.

Just my 2 cents from the rush end............

:rant::popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad