Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
In Londons case the tender is maybe their best player, top goalie in chl.

But for any team it's significant to lose a starter for a long period of time. Windsor could have a full healthy lineup in all other areas but if they lost DiPietro for 11 straight games they would be much more vulnerable. After all, he's stood on his a lot this year to compensate for other injuries.

DiPi is their best player, ( and Parsons is Londons) and at the position which can most influence a games outcome. And they've had him all year.
I've liked and respected the kids game since MM.
Take all the games missed by Spits and say they played, and sit DiPi as often as many games as Parsons has missed....
Just a guess but Im thinking Windsor would be farther down the ladder.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

The only games I included for Cirelli are the ones he missed while with Erie.. which is 4. He's been out. So if you don't include him then I don't see the point in all this

Also goalies should certainly count. But since it doesn't really help your argument it won't count. Timpano being out for a month straight is as significant as it gets. Top 9 forwards and top 6 defense should all be included in my view for better results of impact to a team.

I did not include new players from trade deadline for all teams, not just Erie.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

DiPi is their best player, ( and Parsons is Londons) and at the position which can most influence a games outcome. And they've had him all year.
I've liked and respected the kids game since MM.
Take all the games missed by Spits and say they played, and sit DiPi as often as many games as Parsons has missed....
Just a guess but Im thinking Windsor would be farther down the ladder.

You could Owen Sound in that mix,don't think Vella would carry the load

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Spits need to look after themselves

Spits face Sting today in an afternoon tilt. Forget about the Zoo or O.S. All we can do is win the games we have left and let the chips fall where they may.
The point is we can't afford to play any more stinkers especially against poorer teams.
We have an advantage with more home games but that's negated because we play more elite teams than the Zoo.
If we lose let it be in O/T ...every point is crucial at this stage.
DiPietro is expected to play every game from now on. His Defencemen need to give him better support as we won't be scoring in bunches very often.
The team on the whole needs to remember to keep their mouths shut and their heads about them. We can't afford misconducts, suspensions and the like....

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Spits face Sting today in an afternoon tilt. Forget about the Zoo or O.S. All we can do is win the games we have left and let the chips fall where they may.
The point is we can't afford to play any more stinkers especially against poorer teams.
We have an advantage with more home games but that's negated because we play more elite teams than the Zoo.
If we lose let it be in O/T ...every point is crucial at this stage.
DiPietro is expected to play every game from now on. His Defencemen need to give him better support as we won't be scoring in bunches very often.
The team on the whole needs to remember to keep their mouths shut and their heads about them. We can't afford misconducts, suspensions and the like....

Agreed, worry about your game,take 1 game at a time, Windsor needs to take advantage of its excellent home ice record, keep it going,and an old cliche,your best have to be your best, especially now
Upfront Brown, Bracco need to be more productive,from the D, Day and Chatfield need to produce more offense,only 3 points combined in the last 7 games, despite Windsor's
4-2-0-1 record.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
You could Owen Sound in that mix,don't think Vella would carry the load

For sure you could. So you agree with my post then?

But your talking Spits and how missed games have influenced the standings in your opinion. I just think its a cop out.
Im saying if the Spits had Londons missed games at the same positions and lengths of time they'd be farther down the standings but there's no excuses being constantly posted about it. JMO.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

But your talking Spits and how missed games have influenced the standings in your opinion. I just think its a cop out.
Im saying if the Spits had Londons missed games at the same positions and lengths of time they'd be farther down the standings but there's no excuses being constantly posted about it. JMO.

No one will convince me that as it relates to Windsor and SSM that what I have done re missed games matter,and to a extent Owen Sound too, reverse the player situations especially the Hounds I doubt they would be in 1st place.
I care more about the division title then conference, especially for comparison purposes, and btw if London's best players meaning the big line with Marner,and Parsons,the Knights don't win it all last year, not their 3rd liners, most did their jobs,it was the exceptional players that won it, same as Windsor in 09 and 10, and London in 05.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
No one will convince me that as it relates to Windsor and SSM that what I have done re missed games matter,and to a extent Owen Sound too, reverse the player situations especially the Hounds I doubt they would be in 1st place.
I care more about the division title then conference, especially for comparison purposes, and btw if London's best players meaning the big line with Marner,and Parsons,the Knights don't win it all last year, not their 3rd liners, most did their jobs,it was the exceptional players that won it, same as Windsor in 09 and 10, and London in 05.

And London in 12/13 as well ;)

Oh your just counting Memorial Cup winning teams :)

Like I said the Spits have had some misfortune, as much as most teams. More tha SSM, yes. But that team with poor goaltending and bad D ( according to you just kept winning)
I just don't see the same "reasoning or factors" being constantly brought up with other teams that have missed key players.

Yes top talent is needed, but on many championship teams Fs 3/4-8/9 play almost equal roles but to fit you narrative you went with top 6 cause it looked better to you, was my point.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game day Windsor vs Sarnia,Sting win an important game last night at Flint,that being said they are playing their 3rd game in 2-1/2 days Spits need to push hard from the start and take advantage of what should be a tired group.Players such as Brown, Bracco, Day, Chatfield need to up their offensive game,all 4 pointless the last 2 games.Will be interesting to see where Nattinen plays,he is playing very poorly lately, actually most of the last 6 weeks,since the trade deadline he has 1 goal and 7 assists,only 1 point,an assist in his past 11 games, think he needs to sit a game.Expecting Dipietro to start for Windsor.Spits need to take one game at a time,don't look ahead to the games against the Hounds and London.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Maybe but Rocky said he was going to name the captain and wasn't leaving it up to the players.

Rocky is too busy to name a captain. He is trying to set his lines, with the millions of injuries it is a tough job to get anything done !

With all the rest the players have had they should be fantastic, when Rocky instructs them to start playing hard. Ingenious!!!!!!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
9 n 1? They have London Owen sound Soo Erie all tough games.
I am leaning towards 5th spot.

We're 23-3 at home. Nobody said this would be easy. I just like our odds.

Who determines whether the results are good? The team by their wins and losses and the fact a 5 seed has not done damage in the west in ages. Furthermore it's a horrible look to have the Memorial Cup host not even having home ice.

If all you do is look at the placement of the teams, then it looks bad. If you actually look at records and stats, then you'd see a different story.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011

Anyone else hold their breath in that London game when Mikey took it high around the collar bone??

We need a win today to start a new streak.

Lets go Brownie !!!!:yo:

:rant::popcorn:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
We're 23-3 at home. Nobody said this would be easy. I just like our odds.

If all you do is look at the placement of the teams, then it looks bad. If you actually look at records and stats, then you'd see a different story.

Placement of the teams is what you should look at. You're compared to your peers in each n every separate season. Not to teams from years past.
If its a year with 5 very bad teams the top teams records will be inflated. And conversely if if its a year with parity and good bottom placed teams records will reflect that. The top teams for the most part have decent records vs each other and have feasted on the bottom teams in conf and against East teams.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
still like our odds?
embarrassing effort in the third period, and with soo winning today fifth is pretty much a lock
cant wait to hear the positives taken from this game
:popcorn::popcorn:

This is why you can't just depend on home games late to thrust you into 1st. Not a good performance in the least.

There were zero positives unless someone wants to make note of Thompson making an example out of Sergachev and benching him in the 3rd. Admirable to try and do that but down 3 points in the standings with 9 games left after today now wasn't the time to send a message.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Spits lose.

That is 1 if u r counting. I know someone was.

They played a good 20 min. Didn't play well the rest of the game.

Your know it's bad when the crowd is repeatedly yelling pass as they know windsor won't shoot the puck. When fans are that sarcastic u have big problems.

All in all. A very bad performance. This team looks more of a joke with these types of games.

Whoever is on the first line with brown don't do much.
They rely WAY too much on dipietro.
The system Rocky has is bad.
Players should of been benched a long time ago .

When Boogie can bench Hall n company than anyone on this team should be benched. Buy way too late now. They r lazy n just looking forward to May because they won the bid. Not that they r playing that they deserve to play in the cup.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Spits lose.

They played a good 20 min. Didn't play well the rest of the game.

Your know it's bad when the crowd is repeatedly yelling pass as they know windsor won't shoot the puck. When fans are that sarcastic u have big problems.

All in all. A very bad performance. This team looks more of a joke with these types of games.

Whoever is on the first line with brown don't do much.
They rely WAY too much on dipietro.
The system Rocky has is bad.
Players should of been benched a long time ago .

When Boogie can bench Hall n company than anyone on this team should be benched. Buy way too late now. They r lazy n just looking forward to May because they won the bid. Not that they r playing that they deserve to play in the cup.

Boughner could bench Hall because it was a luxury they had a team loaded with players. Guys like Shugg/Mitchell/Wellwood etc would scoop up extra shifts. This is team doesn't have that luxury especially on D with Day who loves to play riverboat hockey same goes for Chatfield recently. Like you said too late to send that message now because you're pretty much guaranteeing a 5 seed now. Terrible group of underachievers.

spits

Jul 24, 2013
flat out embarrassing, 5 points back it's officially over. #5 seed is pretty much a lock, likely out in the 1st round. Again I feel bad for the STH, we're gonna get 1 round and that's it. I think it's pretty much a lock Thompson is gone after this year. Warren can't be happy with his team or his coach...

Brown and Bracco are both a joke.

Couldn't even make the finish of the regular season exciting, again pathetic and embarrassing.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario
^^ yes no doubt, if this wasn't a mem cup year you would think he would have been let go. I'm sure he preaches a good game however the systems this team plays with the short leach on offensive creativity is showing on some players.

scokan

Nov 23, 2009
southern ontario

yes it is a cop out, goalies dont prove his argument, surprised the games Garland and Rocky missed werent included.
:naughty:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Breathe folks. This is going to be okay. You win a game, people go "not good enough." You lose a game and people freak out like our season is done. Just for the record - we have nine games to go in the regular season.

You're allowed to say my name :laugh: "OHLTG, that's one game, right?" See?

Okay...

Good:

- They got 40+ shots on net and had a significant shot advantage in the first. That's a positive. Build on that.
- They kept Sarnia completely out of it until the third. Another positive.

Bad:

- As soon as Sarnia scored from the boards, you could feel momentum swing 100%. Someone needs to step up and control that.
- The PP. I'm no coach. I won't pretend to be. When you have a guy like Bracco with a right-handed shot, why not have him on the opposite wing getting one-timers from Brown? We have the passing down but seem scared to shoot.
- The Sergachev temper tantrum (only way to describe it) was the turning point. If you disagree with a call, calmly talk to the official, serve it, and move on. Pushing a guy down won't help. It's proven that it won't help. The ONLY good thing that could come of this would be a line brawl. (yes, that's slight sarcasm...) I'm not against the benching here. Emotional outbursts are too common anymore and I've said this at the rink, too.
- I appreciate the systematic approach to games. It got us from last to nearly first last year. However, it appears to be limiting creativity in the offensive zone. I enjoy winning games, but when you're sitting on a 2-0 lead, that's a bit much. You should be thinking "let's get 3, 4, or 5." You can't score if you're not shooting. Focus on defence but shoot, shoot, shoot when you're in the O-zone.

This is a tough one to swallow but they need to refocus. Thursday is kind of a make-or-break for the division. Three points is quite possible to come back from. Seven is very unlikely. Does Windsor want it bad enough? We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->