Windsor Spitfires 2016-17 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windsor Chief

Jan 3, 2011
Windsor
ohloutsider- I'm not a great Purboo fan, but even I can see why he is being rewarded with icetime. He can score and more importantly his work rate is rising. Out killing a penalty last game his feet kept moving and he was both hustling and in the right spots.
As a hockey player I do like Corcoran better, but right now Purboo is a slightly better option at rightwing (his skating reminds me a lot of Brown).
As to why McCool is playing ahead of Angle (and Corcoran), it is simply because he is the better option at leftwing. He is bigger, stronger and he shoots left (not critical but contributory).
Angle looks like a natural center and appears out of position when playing on the wing, both positionally and in terms of how he appears to approach the position. Any other year he would be playing more, but he is caught behind Brown, Nattinen, Laishram and Luchuk in depth now.

Our youth looks like it should shine in the future - for now it is in position to support veterans playing ahead.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Sundays win was the first time this year that the team played a well rounded game. The team was skating and working hard for the first time in almost 1 year! Lack of leadership might be the cause.

Last edited:

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
ohloutsider- I'm not a great Purboo fan, but even I can see why he is being rewarded with icetime. He can score and more importantly his work rate is rising. Out killing a penalty last game his feet kept moving and he was both hustling and in the right spots.
As a hockey player I do like Corcoran better, but right now Purboo is a slightly better option at rightwing (his skating reminds me a lot of Brown).
As to why McCool is playing ahead of Angle (and Corcoran), it is simply because he is the better option at leftwing. He is bigger, stronger and he shoots left (not critical but contributory).
Angle looks like a natural center and appears out of position when playing on the wing, both positionally and in terms of how he appears to approach the position. Any other year he would be playing more, but he is caught behind Brown, Nattinen, Laishram and Luchuk in depth now.

Our youth looks like it should shine in the future - for now it is in position to support veterans playing ahead.
Never said Purdoo did not work hard - he just needs to learn to skate at ohl speed. He is a typical dump and chase winger that never wins the chase. If he is not required to skate then he is a good hard working strong player - like when he killed the late penalty yesterday - reminded me of Sanvido - just be big and block shots - his speed is the issue.
Corcoran needs to play and if that means scratching Purboo occasionally then that should happen - Both of them deserve some ice time.
McCool/Angle I understand but Angle should be in a rotation with Corcoran and Purboo. What bugs me is Purboo plays every game regular shift and the other 2 sit all the time. Those 3 should be on equal footing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Never said Purdoo did not work hard - he just needs to learn to skate at ohl speed. He is a typical dump and chase winger that never wins the chase. If he is not required to skate then he is a good hard working strong player - like when he killed the late penalty yesterday - reminded me of Sanvido - just be big and block shots - his speed is the issue.
Corcoran needs to play and if that means scratching Purboo occasionally then that should happen - Both of them deserve some ice time.
McCool/Angle I understand but Angle should be in a rotation with Corcoran and Purboo. What bugs me is Purboo plays every game regular shift and the other 2 sit all the time. Those 3 should be on equal footing.

Purboo is okay and this is nothing against him but he's strictly a small time poacher. From the perspective that he got 4 goals in 4 games in 4 shots is nice. Of course that was never sustainable he now has 6 goals in his last 41 shots in his last 37 games. Like you said he doesn't skate well enough to get more opportunities. I would agree on the last part Purboo for his "goal scoring" abilities is still a minus and has been one in 13 games this year. Corcoran still provides value if you need to play him up front or in case of injury on D.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Purboo is a guy that you park in front of the net and look for the garbage goals. He's not going to beat you with speed but, as long as he uses his size properly, he has some value. That being said, I'd rather see Angle or Corcoran up there instead.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

You have 7 solid D and 8 if you count Corcoran. Nother, Mcneney and Robertson will all rotate in and out in my opinion

Agreed, regarding the D and it's rotation.As for upfront,and assuming everyone is healthy,I see Purboo and Corcoran being rotated,with Angle being the 14th forward.If unlike the 1st half of the season,the Spits stay relatively healthy,. ice time for Angle will be very limited.Having 21 skaters instead of 17 for most of the 1st half will be a luxury for coach Thompson,players won't be taxed in terms of energy,and we should see overall improvement,as well as having extra bodies allows the coach to change up the lineup when players are struggling.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't Corcoran and Angle be sent down even though they are on A cards? At least they would be able to get in some games and get called up when needed. Could use someone like Nother on forward for a game if a forward was hurt.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

Correct me if I am wrong but couldn't Corcoran and Angle be sent down even though they are on A cards? At least they would be able to get in some games and get called up when needed. Could use someone like Nother on forward for a game if a forward was hurt.

Yes and no,B teams have to set their rosters the same day as the O,may not have an opening,in the case of Angle his JR B team is in St Catharines,he goes to school here,too disruptive to take him in and out, plus his card status changes to a B,resets if called up to 9 games,if needed more have to spend another A card, would be the same with Corcoran,it's why teams carry 22-23 players,in the end best to leave them here all things considered, practice with the big team, workout,school with limited disruption.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Game night Windsor at Kitchener,in a rare Tuesday night game.Spits are 2-0-1 in their last 3,3-1-1 in their last 5.1st game back in Kitchener for the newly acquired Jeremy Bracco.Mikail Sergachev leads the Spits in scoring during the last 3 games with 6 points, including 2 goals, Luchuk has 4 points, including 3 goals,and Julius Nattinen also has 4 points, despite playing very little in the game Sunday vs Saginaw due to a couple of injuries,his status for tonight is unknown,if he can't go,would not surprise me if Connor Corcoran draws in,he has not played since the trade deadline ended.
Except Michael Dipietro back in between the pipes for Windsor,in his last 2 games has given up just 3 goals, average of 1.46 and 2 wins.
Other notes Spits top 3 plus/ minus players are Digiacinto (20), Chatfield (15),and Sergachev (14).
Sergachev has 21 points in his 20 games played, including 4 goals.
The other Spits top 2 D besides Sergachev and Chatfield,Sean Day and Logan Stanley are +10 and +1 in the plus minus category, while McEneny and Nother are -2 and -3 respectively.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Game night Windsor at Kitchener,in a rare Tuesday night game.Spits are 2-0-1 in their last 3,3-1-1 in their last 5.1st game back in Kitchener for the newly acquired Jeremy Bracco.Mikail Sergachev leads the Spits in scoring during the last 3 games with 6 points, including 2 goals, Luchuk has 4 points, including 3 goals,and Julius Nattinen also has 4 points, despite playing very little in the game Sunday vs Saginaw due to a couple of injuries,his status for tonight is unknown,if he can't go,would not surprise me if Connor Corcoran draws in,he has not played since the trade deadline ended.
Except Michael Dipietro back in between the pipes for Windsor,in his last 2 games has given up just 3 goals, average of 1.46 and 2 wins.
Other notes Spits top 3 plus/ minus players are Digiacinto (20), Chatfield (15),and Sergachev (14).
Sergachev has 21 points in his 20 games played, including 4 goals.
The other Spits top 2 D besides Sergachev and Chatfield,Sean Day and Logan Stanley are +10 and +1 in the plus minus category, while McEneny and Nother are -2 and -3 respectively.

Great post!!! Should be a good game tonight!! Hopefully the Spits carry the momentum from weekend and get the 2 points tonight.

RangerNation

Jul 24, 2015
London
Great post!!! Should be a good game tonight!! Hopefully the Spits carry the momentum from weekend and get the 2 points tonight.

Safe trip to any Spits fans making the trek up the 401. Still pretty slick on the roads! Also a couple hundred tickets left, Tuesdays always draw less.

Boomer48

Jan 3, 2017
DiPietro going to prospects? game in Quebec City Jan 30
Problem is Spits play Soo on the 27th, Saginaw on the 28th
Hamilton on the 29th. Is Dipietro lost for all the games?
We may see the newly signed goalie on that weekend

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I know it has only been a few games, but what are peoples thoughts on the Bracco trade?? I'm a Rangers fan that misses the excitement that comes from watching Jeremy play.

Also how good is Andrew Burns?? He has had a rough go at things since the trade. Played real sloppy on Friday; giving the puck up a lot and taking 2 poor penalties.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I know it has only been a few games, but what are peoples thoughts on the Bracco trade?? I'm a Rangers fan that misses the excitement that comes from watching Jeremy play.

Also how good is Andrew Burns?? He has had a rough go at things since the trade. Played real sloppy on Friday; giving the puck up a lot and taking 2 poor penalties.
Bracco - been good so far - new team, new systems - it will take a few games but you can see his talent - just like in Kitchener, needs to shoot more.
Same for Burns and Carter - have to give them a chance to learn where they fit. Burns is a good player, give him some time.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
This trade is going to pay off for both teams more-so in March and beyond than right now. The players need time to adjust to systems and teammates.

Bracco has looked comfortable out there but you can see on his face that he's trying to read the systems. He's looking for who should be where. That being said, he has the talent and it's clear he knows what he's doing. One thing I noticed during the Kitchener game was the Rangers would have two guys on him at all times. It's tough when you're playing the one team that knows you so well.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
I haven't been wowed by Bracco yet, but I know he has that ability. I think it's a matter of finding the right guys to play with him, and if Rocky does he'll take off. As far as Burns goes he's always looked to me like a completely average bottom pair guy. Not a great shot, not a slick passer, not a good skater , not a good puck handler, and not an especially smart or big player, Burns is the sort of guy you hope doesn't have to play too much.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor at Kitchener, Dipietro in goal for Windsor, Opilka for Kitchener.Corcoran and Robertson are in.Not dressed for Windsor, Nattinen ( concussion),Nother(healthy scratch), Angle (healthy scratch)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Bracco been ok. Hasnt wowed me.
He has speed n can pass well. His shot needs improvement. Hopefully rocky can play him to his best ability with 2 other forwards on his line thst cam benefit.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
He's in an adjustment period. Give him time. He "wow"ed earlier this year because he was used to his linemates. The talent is clearly there.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
This trade is going to pay off for both teams more-so in March and beyond than right now. The players need time to adjust to systems and teammates.

It wont pay off for Kitchener as much as the other teams who unloaded AList players at the deadline. WR took MH for a ride and paid 60 cents on the dollar. He played it perfect. Rangers had no where else to go.
Compared to Stephens, MVS, Cirelli and even some BList players that brought back as much as Bracco.
Well documeted on the Rangers board how dissapponted they were.
But again,good on WR. But its not a deal that pays off for both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad