GDT: Win this game for TT at Tampa

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Who can even tune in to watch a hockey game at stupid 5 o'clock anyway? This so dumb. Looks like I didn't miss much anyway
“If you can’t get all your shit done by 5pm you’re doing it wrong.”

This was said to me a while back by a guy who’s in the financial services business .... except he used noon as his time instead of 5.

He is a big golfer, plays every day.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
In his post-show, Staal wasn't really making excuses but did say how hard it is sometimes to fight off the mundaneness of the road game experience this season. Wish they could find something permissible to help with the malaise.

The Svech struggles of late are hard to watch as he's obviously trying so hard..maybe too hard or focusing on the wrong approach?

His delivery was perfect, too.

Last edited:

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.

We suck, obviously. Relocation
It feels like Tampa made a concerted effort to shut it down in response to the game Saturday and there's been no response to it. They haven't made many mistakes in front of Vasilevsky and he's been there to clean up those they have. Very Boston-esque. It's nights like this that make me believe that they need something extra to break tight defensive structures, beyond Teravainen getting healthy.

It definitely could be concerning. Hard to judge this early in the season and with a bit of imbalanced fatigue levels between teams. I'm hoping maybe playing them a gabillion times might prepare us better for it in the playoffs than our recent woeful matchups against Boston? Idk, four more reg season games, I guess we'll see.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I'm sad to say this is one of the few games I've been able to watch in its entirety this season (babies are exhausting, you know). I'm also sad to say it's the first time we've been shut out this season. I'm furthermore sad to say that, back in the dark ages of the mid-2010s, I was one of the ones catching 82 games per season. So it would seem my attention is a pox upon this team. I will therefore recuse myself from the remainder of the season and see you all at the parade this summer. Wear your masks.

But really, I don't think we had an awful night. I liked the first 5 minutes and the last 25. We lost it in the 30 minutes in between. Ned looked like he belongs here, and against just about anybody not named Vasilevskiy, we would have gotten him some run support in that third period.

It sucks, but just bury this one and move on. I'm happy if we get the split tomorrow. And if we don't, I'm still happy because, after a decade of watching a flaming pile of shit that was supposed to pass for an NHL squad, we finally have a very good team on our hands.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They’re the champs for a reason, I’m not sweating our inability to score as we were due for everyone to come down to earth. Might as well be against Tampa.

My problem was the two goals we gave up. Right down the middle. The first one Slavin and Trocheck just watching the rookie set up shop in Ned’s lap and what in tarnation was that second one?!? Four guys socially distancing themselves from the only dangerous guy on the rink skating right down Broadway? Slavin overextended himself for his second big oopsie and no one even came close to covering for him. Brutal.

The second line has cooled off as well as Staal, and the top guns aren’t picking up the slack. Maybe it’s just Tampa on that issue but those two goals could’ve been scored by high school hockey players.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
It's Tampa. They're good. We're 2-2 so far against them this year. Even if we lose on Friday we are 2-3 against them this year. That's not bad.

It's fine. I'm glad we are done with Wednesday 5pm starts.
I don't know. I wouldn't put it past the NHL to make that scheduling change at the last minute too with this season.

My thoughts on the game: painful to watch start to finish. It's hard to find anything good about how they played versus past losses this season.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Ned is better than Reimer.
Goalies are tough to project. Most can say who are the best: Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, Gibson. But even with the best who knew how suddenly guys like Bob, Holtby, and Murray would fall off.

If you look at last season, all the numbers indicate Reimer was better than Mr. Azek.

That said, I believe Ned is going to make it and be a big part of the Canes. In Charlotte he had his share of imperfect games, but when they needed him he came through.

Also as BG points out
My problem was the two goals we gave up. Right down the middle. The first one Slavin and Trocheck just watching the rookie set up shop in Ned’s lap and what in tarnation was that second one?!? Four guys socially distancing themselves from the only dangerous guy on the rink skating right down Broadway? Slavin overextended himself for his second big oopsie and no one even came close to covering for him. Brutal
Ned gave up 2 goals to the defending champs in 2 games and both were more on the team than the goalie.
Just last week many here were using two games to objectively state Ned was not a NHL goalie. Well if 2 games can be used to make definitive statements (I know they can't), then Ned is going to be an above-average NHL tender.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

hag65

Jan 14, 2021
Eye of the Hurricane
I don't think anyone really talked about it here but what I saw was a very active D by Tampa at the beginning of the game. I even saw one rush where they came across the line 5 wide and came in deep. If you don't poke it away and make them pay for that by breaking the other way, it is going to cause a lot of problems. Basically they played like a team down by 2 with 5 minutes left in the game, BUT they played that style in the first period.

After they got the lead they were able to introduce sanity again for their D and basically run out the clock for 40 minutes. Also, Vassasieveski played well but we didn't really give him much to worry about.

I don't think we expected it, I don't think we were ready for it. Its the kind of wrinkle you would see in a 4 game series to change the established flow.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Goalies are tough to project. Most can say who are the best: Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, Gibson. But even with the best who knew how suddenly guys like Bob, Holtby, and Murray would fall off.

If you look at last season, all the numbers indicate Reimer was better than Mr. Azek.

That said, I believe Ned is going to make it and be a big part of the Canes. In Charlotte he had his share of imperfect games, but when they needed him he came through.

Also as BG points out

Ned gave up 2 goals to the defending champs in 2 games and both were more on the team than the goalie.
Just last week many here were using two games to objectively state Ned was not a NHL goalie. Well if 2 games can be used to make definitive statements (I know they can't), then Ned is going to be an above-average NHL tender.
Meh, you guys can keep painting it as definitive statements from two games, but it was from way more than that. I honestly think he was better last night than in the shutout. Last night he had the least amount of overly scrambly plays, not dropping the stick, not turning it over frequently (which he even admitted after his shutout that he was turning it over to the other team way too much this season), no odd flopping around with the puck nowhere near, maybe a few nervous moments handling the puck but those were when we really needed to get something going, so I get it. That goalie can be an NHL goalie. But I've seen the other stuff too much to be swayed yet. Again, I'll happily eat crow if the man gets amazing results going forward in a long career for us. But for me, it's quite the opposite. I didn't form my opinion on two games, and I won't be swayed in two games either. Much like many young guys, I want to see it consistently for a while and I hope I do.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I didn't form my opinion on two games, and I won't be swayed in two games either. Much like many young guys, I want to see it consistently for a while and I hope I do.

We agree on these points. It's just that you see something that doesn't look good and I see Jim Furyk's results. Ned has won at every level. I watched something like 60 of his AHL games. He has uncomfortable moments more than many other goalies, but he wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->