GDT: Win and We're f***ING IN!: Maple Leafs @ Devils, 7 PM, MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

Severson may cough the puck more than any other player, but he also takes it away more than any other player.

If you look at takeaways per ice time it goes (from most takeaways to fewest takeaways):

Mueller
Lovejoy
Severson
Butcher
Greene
Vatanen
Moore
Santini

So yes, Severson coughs up the puck the most, but he's also among the better people at takeways.

The reason I like looking at it on a "per minute" basis, is because it helps removes the "high event" versus "low event" bias that you speak of.

I'm not saying this is a panacea, just that it's another way to look at the data. And I realize the Santini and Mueller data are both low, and that could mean it increases the odd of them being outliers.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Count me in on the being leery about Carlson train. I think he's a good defenseman, but worth 7-8 million a year? That's just a hell of a lot of money, and it's coming off a career year for him.

I’m wondering if we start to see a new trend of these high caliber players taking contracts with higher cap hits, but only for 2-3 years or so. players may want the extra years for security, but if they stay healthy and want to control their futures (and ensure they are always playing on a contending team) it may make sense to go low on years. I’d give carlson 3 years at $8M per, maybe.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Count me in on the being leery about Carlson train. I think he's a good defenseman, but worth 7-8 million a year? That's just a hell of a lot of money, and it's coming off a career year for him.

That's the part that admittedly makes me nervous, but the reality is the Devils need a guy like him badly to greatly upgrade the team. He pitches in usefully on offense, can play the powerplay, and (GASP) actually play some defense. I definitely like him, it's the cost I may not like.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Yup, don't want him for that much money. How many guys have a career year before they hit the free market, get paid and then completely collapse?

Probably a shit ton of them

StvBroDan

vPLAY WITH HEARTv
Oct 15, 2008
USA
Good to see him get back to just pushing the puck up ice.

I thought he did a decent job at getting the puck on net, had 5 sog's. Granted 11 shots at net, but when you're trying to pick corners, you're gonna miss sometimes.

But I think it's best that he keeps shooting, he's had some bad moments lately where he is trying to be too cute with a pass once he enters the zone on the rush. That sort of stuff he can work on in the offseason. But with the playoffs approaching, just rip it.
EXACTLY That should be new shirt JUST RIP IT. Nico and Hall need to be selfish as hell. Puck in the back of the net is what matters.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
So I wasn't wrong when I said Severson has been a net negative this season, and considering his role, it sucks. I had big expectations for him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
27w7g2.jpg

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Severson is behind Mueller, Lovejoy, Greene, and Butcher if you solely look at the ratio.

But if you look at net takeaways and giveaways divided by minutes played, which seems more logical to me, when you do that you get in order from best to worst:

1) Mueller
2) Lovejoy
3) Greene
4) Santini
5) Vatanen
6) Butcher
7) Severson
8) Moore

Severson actually coughs up the puck more per minute than any other Devils defesenman. The reason he's not in last place is because he steals the puck more than Moore does, and Moore also coughs up the puck a lot.

Can we trust a stat that suggests Lovejoy is the second best defender on the team?

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Someone said last night Toronto loves the long pass and man they weren’t kidding. It felt like every other leaf breakout was a stretch pass from their zone to our blue line. Crazy strategy.

I posted that after TSN showed stats which had Toronto attempting the most stretch passes in the league.

Devils did a pretty good job in neutralizing it

Reactions: Its a Trap
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad