Post-Game Talk: win 7:08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
First goal was on Schmidt (and Holtby). The later one was on Orlov and the forewards. Schmidt was hung out to dry just as much as Holtby there. He had to pick up the man in the slot.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Interesting Holtby talking about fatigue. Looked that way to me too. Is it a conditioning issue? The Pens made us chase the puck an awful lot. I don't think we do the same to teams. Not sure that bodes well in the playoffs.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Interesting Holtby talking about fatigue. Looked that way to me too. Is it a conditioning issue? The Pens made us chase the puck an awful lot. I don't think we do the same to teams. Not sure that bodes well in the playoffs.
I don't think it's just physical, although Pittsburgh does test them maybe more than anyone from a speed standpoint. I think it's mental sluggishness based on being forced to play outside of their comfort zone. It's where strong fundamentals have to come into play to stabilize them and that mental advantage and positive, composed energy hasn't been there enough lately. Not only have they made poor defensive positional decisions at times (9/88 primarily) but their decisions offensively have been a struggle.

I don't doubt they're more tired after this game than most but that's playoff style hockey. If that comes as a shock to them then they've got memory problems. It's yet another sign IMO that their minds aren't on point as the playoffs loom.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
When we have a Cup or two, we can fall back on that line of "reasoning".

That doesn't make sense. What does previous cups have to do with that season? The previous seasons have no influence on what they were gonna do that year. That year they struggled to the finish

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That doesn't make sense. What does previous cups have to do with that season? The previous seasons have no influence on what they were gonna do that year. That year they struggled to the finish

The real point is there isn't one in what you posted. Limping into the postseason might have been the exception, certainly it's not the rule. I'm saying if we want to throw out outlandish defenses of this slide, it might help to at least have some team credibility to fall back on. Caps deserve no benefit of the doubt that I can see.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
The real point is there isn't one in what you posted. Limping into the postseason might have been the exception, certainly it's not the rule. I'm saying if we want to throw out outlandish defenses of this slide, it might help to at least have some team credibility to fall back on. Caps deserve no benefit of the doubt that I can see.

Ok that is definitely fair. I was just trying to point out that being hot going in sometimes doesn't work and that being bad going in can sometimes work as well

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
this team can play against any team. They have the talent to do so. I think they have the system to do so. It's about their willingness at this point, imo. Shame on this team if they can't come out of the east this year. What a wasted opportunity that would be.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I think the biggest thing right now is for Trotz to realize Nicky just isn't working on the top line. Good lord, get him the f away from there. Put mojo there, they are so much better with him. Hell put Kuzy there. Nicky just ain't cutting it as top line center. Put him on 3rd line and see how that works out.

One of the problems is... I think Trotz has put Backstrom on a pedestal early on, the talk of being one of the best and Selke candidate.. I think he may have a blind spot there... will probably live and die with Backstrom on the top line in playoffs... though in other cases I generally like Trotz's adjustments, the cream eventually rises to the top with him..

At the same time.. there can be no more excuses for Ovi and Backstrom in playoffs. Apart, together, they have to be a big factor..

If they can't... and Trotz can't adjust... well then ultimately it's up to BM...

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
One of the problems is... I think Trotz has put Backstrom on a pedestal early on, the talk of being one of the best and Selke candidate.. I think he may have a blind spot there... will probably live and die with Backstrom on the top line in playoffs... though in other cases I generally like Trotz's adjustments, the cream eventually rises to the top with him..

At the same time.. there can be no more excuses for Ovi and Backstrom in playoffs. Apart, together, they have to be a big factor..

If they can't... and Trotz can't adjust... well then ultimately it's up to BM...

Nick's problem right now is between the ears. He fumbled the puck or was indecisive almost every time he touched it tonight.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Blues fan stopping by in peace. Would it be cool Saturday if you guys let Tarasenko score #40 if we let Ovi get #50?

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Yes conditioning...how in the world can you play half donkey for 70 days and think u are a ok...no they are not...look at them on the bench...they are sucking wind.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
this team can play against any team. They have the talent to do so. I think they have the system to do so. It's about their willingness at this point, imo. Shame on this team if they can't come out of the east this year. What a wasted opportunity that would be.

Yep.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
The people on HF general board are so funny. Nearly everyone agree'd the Zadorov hit was clean a week ago, but Wilson makes a stupid play tonight and now the Zadorov hit was dirty and suspendable :laugh:. This is the definition of a player being called out on reputation.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I'm still calm! :P

On ice product sucks so far.

+ 2nd line partly awaken
+ Mojo is our big time depth, have faith in a guy
+ John Carlson, we were missing him
+ PK guys did a good job

- Holtby doesn't seem to be world beater now (but his playoff stats say he will)
- Schmorlov are weak, I guess they won't be confident much in round 1
- Ovechkin playing dumb brand of hockey unlike previous game, was he drunk?
- Backstrom should play with Chimmer now I think, he is not good

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
3 goals on odd man rush. The only weapon of this team, not afraid. In PO, the game is more tighter.

Too bad, Holtby could take already the record away, but instead, we have 2OTL.
For the next one, prepare both goalie to be #1. And if Avs beat Ducks, play Grubauer. So Holtby will have the opportunity to tie Brodeur's record on sunday, against a ducks team that have nothing to play for.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No Orlidt to start games.
Figure out whats wrong with / move down Backstrom
More movement on the PP since the aggressive PK is coming
Practice dialing up our own aggressive PK.
Practice 3-2 drills since Kuz doesn't get back all the time
Holtby from the first half of the year
= CUP

Interesting that Sestito dressed as did Sheary. My original question remains, why did he get a sweater? I wonder if the Pens coach believes in detererer's.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
According to War on Ice, the 1st line controlled play against everyone they played and owned the Crosby line/Letang pairing. Certainly an encouraging sign that that line is getting going. Alzner and Niskanen were beasts too. Wilson... yikes.

Hopefully the Pens keep Kunitz and Crosby together. Kunitz is terribad.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
According to War on Ice, the 1st line controlled play against everyone they played and owned the Crosby line/Letang pairing. Certainly an encouraging sign that that line is getting going. Alzner and Niskanen were beasts too. Wilson... yikes.

Hopefully the Pens keep Kunitz and Crosby together. Kunitz is terribad.

I have no idea why they keep playing Kunitz with Crosby, the play dies every time the puck is on his stick. Certainly not a player you want to have next to one of the best players in the world, but that's none of our business.

I feel like some players on this team are becoming complacent. Having locked a playoff spot a month ago and winning the PT 2 weeks ago put some players back in their comfort zone.

I'll start with the captain. Ovi turns the puck over on the PP, doesn't hustle to take it back from Cullen, SHG for the Pens. Cullen is not faster than Ovi, he should've caught him and stripped him of the puck on the back check.

Backstrom looked like a pylon, if he's not healthy enough to move around, sit him out.

Williams, 3vs3 OT. Gets a partial breakaway, doesn't get the shot off, Letang strips him of the puck and sends Crosby on a breakaway to win the game. If Williams shot that puck earlier, maybe it's game over for the Pens.

Wilson, just a brutal game and a dirty hit. I hope Trotz plays Latta next game.

Schmorlov sucked, especially #88. A 3vs2, Orlov already had the puck carrier covered, but Schmidt leaves his position to cover the same player :facepalm:

Holtby didn't play a bad game, but it didn't scream Vezina winner to me.

On a positive note, I liked the play of the top 4, MJ, Bura and Osh. Chimmer and Beagle were meh.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
8-90-X (where X could be 83/43/77/14, many options depending on purpose)

then

65-19/92-14
25-92/19-77

4th line is either wtih 43 or 83, anyway defensively and physically capable, not scoring much probably.

I will post the full lineup idea in roster/spec thread too.

8-90-83 (discipline and speed from 90 and 83 will allow Ovi to shoot or rush, no need for him to be a part of prolonged possession)

65-92-14

25-19-77 (ultimate checking line capable of serious damage bringing due to Chimera's usual heroics, Oshie's flair or just Backstrom's need to do smth notable)

26-10-43 (just making opponent's hands full at any time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->