Tennis: Wimbledon 2018

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm SO happy over both matches today! I missed most of the last set of the men's match, what happened? Did Rafa choke?

I think it's crazy to say this but I think Anderson has a shot tomorrow if he recovers well. He will probably hold his serve and Djok just seems to rally. He'd probably have to win it relatively quickly.
I agree completely concerning Anderson. That match smells like a potential upset to me. And, no, Rafa did not choke. He just ran out of steam. I think his failure to take advantage of so many opportunities on Nole's serve finally wore him down mentally as much as anything else.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I agree completely concerning Anderson. That match smells like a potential upset to me. And, no, Rafa did not choke. He just ran out of steam. I think his failure to take advantage of so many opportunities on Nole's serve finally wore him down mentally as much as anything else.
Rafa and Djok both seemed happy to not be overly aggressive and if Anderson is hitting a ton of pace that could make the difference. Both of them are up and down mentally so that will factor in as well.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The first set today will be more about resuscitation than anything else, which is where each player's team (coach, trainer, masseuse, nutritionist, maybe psychologist) will really earn their money. After that, adrenaline will kick in for a long time, probably the rest of the match for the winner, though problems for both players could really occur if this becomes another marathon. Picking Nole (and rooting for him), but with all sorts of caveats. Very good chance of an upset, I'd guess.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Here we go. Wouldn't be surprised with an early break as both players work the kinks out.

Got one right for a change as Nole immediately breaks Anderson who double faults on game point, 1-love.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Here we go. Wouldn't be surprised with an early break as both players work the kinks out.

Got one right for a change as Nole immediately breaks Anderson who double faults on game point, 1-love.

Thanks, Kihei! LOL!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Anderson looks like a spent force after two games. Needs to hold or this set could run away quickly.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Vajda looks by far more relaxed sitting there in his box than he has all week. I got the feeling he thinks he's going to be able to sit back and enjoy this one.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
6-2 and way, way too easy. Nole isn't even sweating yet.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Anderson getting work on his elbow certainly doesn't help. Gotta wonder how much his body can hold up.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole breaks again in the first game. I'm beginning to feel sad for Anderson--this is not the way that his magnificent fortnight should close.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I could make a horrible quip about Anderson losing his balls but I won't.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's interesting. Anderson looked a little perkier the last two games as the adrenaline has kicked in, but it did not make a whit of difference to his game. He is perhaps right now a study in the limits of physical and psychological endurance for a world class athlete.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Two sets down, one to go.

Anderson showed some resistance that last game but same result in the end. 26 minutes to finish this ;)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Two easy sets up for Nole. I expect this third set to be a lot closer, though.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just got back home, what a shame this is so one sided.

Some major choking by Djokovic but he hangs on to win.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kevin had a couple of set points at 6-5, but Nole held and easily won the subsequent breaker. Great to see Kevin go down fighting.

Congrats to Nole for being truly back and winning his 13th Grand Slam, and thanks to Kevin for such a gutty pair of performances in the quarters and semis. All and all a very entertaining and surprising Wimbledon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe the third set showed (unfortunately) what could have been if not for the insane back-to-back five set tiebreakers. Anderson's legs were mud the first two sets. I turned it off at 4-1 in the second set but turned it back on late in the third set. About the result most expected in the end.

Reactions: kihei

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->