Post-Game Talk: Wilsonton Capitals vs Parallaxed Penguins - Game 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The Pens in this game did not look scary. They are very beatable. Lucky 2-1 goal. Should have been OT.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
I doubt there is a magic incantation to start games well.

Caps' effort looked fine to me in the 1st, Pens were just faster.
The biggest factor, IMO, that allowed them to get back into the game, is that Pens started to turtle more after their goal, lost momentum, and then in the 3rd probably started running out of gas playing 5 defensemen. Anyway, it sounds about right that it might take a period or two to slow down a faster opponent.

Coming out super-aggressive against a faster opponent that's good on transition is also risky -- you can find yourself down 3-0 in a period.

I mean, I'm for doing something more aggressively, but it's a tricky balance in this case, IMO. When you're the slower team, your options are limited.

Caps were outshot 28-10 going into the 3rd period and out-chanced by who knows how much. That is completely unacceptable, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Need to stop giving Malkin room.

He is a serious matchup problem...we don't really have an answer for him.

Edit: The best thing to do is play with pace...Beagle is fast...play with pace and in Pitt's zone instead of major turtling which the caoches have this line doing.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
We lost our mojo after the snow storm break. Never got it back. .

This is what the team was when the season ended. And this is how they are in the playoffs. I don't think it's going to change.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I just don't get why they can't play like this from the drop of the puck. That Pens D is nothing special IMO yet the Caps aren't exploiting it. They have a rookie goalie in net who should be getting peppered and screened at every chance.

This has been a weird series so far. Neither team has impressed and they both could be easily up 2-0 at this point.

:handclap:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Best road team in the east and only an OT loss away from best in the league.

Caps will play well in Pittsburgh. And I hate to say it but losing Orpik won't be the worst thing in the world. He was on for both goals tonight and his advanced numbers were bad.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I don't think the team difference in speed is as great as it appears to be. We just play slow. It's rare that a guy catches the puck onsides in full stride. One guy goes in at full speed and the rest are line changing. The pens didn't look that fast before Sullivan took over.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
I just want the Caps to win the series.

Just hate the Penguins and their fans (or at least their liking of the Penguins). No reason other than the rivalry and the Penguins have always had the Caps' number, along with some fans having a cocky attitude to boot.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps are in trouble. Orpik is likely gone for a game or 2. You can't show up and put in the craptastic effort like they did through more than 1/2 the game and win. I was pretty embarrassed as a Caps fan through 2 periods tonight. 2nd line continues to be terrible and it's going to cost them more. Chorney was terrible.

Caps were going through the motions out there. Efforts like this get you bounced.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Meh. 50/50 game and they lost.

Sucks that Fehr got the GWG. I can't hate on him but why does he choose now to be uninjured and actually useful in the playoffs. :rant:

Win the next game and put the pressure on the Pens. Let's go Caps!!!

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Caps were outshot 28-10 going into the 3rd period and out-chanced by who knows how much. That is completely unacceptable, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

That sounds too much like an empty slogan.

I didn't see a lack of effort, I saw a faster team get to pucks... faster. Even to hit them, Caps need to catch them first.

I don't really see obvious solutions. Yes, try (even) harder, hope physicality will pay dividends later in the series, but until then, it's basically survival mode, Holtby, and hoping for some individual/line brilliance.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Different idea entirely - flip Williams and Wilson. Wilson's physical play (and good defensive game) would buy Kuzy and Mojo more time and space. A 90-92-65 line is too weak and X-92-14 just isn't clicking any more - keeping the top line in tact is a must right now, so 90-92-43 is the only line I can conjure up that, if nothing else, might improve the second lines matchup ability a little. Thoughts?

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
coaching

win the division and the presidents cup and Trotz starts to make changes Go with what got you there not try and reinvent the wheel Looks like he wants to go back and coach like he did in Nashville where he won diddley squat Oh he got too the second round he must think he's a great coach now Brutal coaching the last two games

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland

I didn't see a lack of effort, I saw a faster team get to pucks... faster. Even to hit them, Caps need to catch them first.

I don't really see obvious solutions. Yes, try (even) harder, hope physicality will pay dividends later in the series, but until then, it's basically survival mode, Holtby, and hoping for some individual/line brilliance.

I noticed that players would not go for a loose puck because they thought someone else would get it. That should be fixed.

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
I watch all games on long delay, clearly before coming here

So we were turtling before the game even started ? In fact, we were turtling throughout Game 1

Sure, Orlov stuffed up ... so we are trading him in the off-season ? Clearly that is where we are going given Trotz' actions

no thread in the trade section that I can see

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

Faster teams lose in the playoffs all the time. I see a couple problems. One, the passing game is atrocious. Passes are late, passes are off target, passes are too soft. This has been a pattern for months and THAT is why I don't see how this series can be won, not because of a speed disparity, which as I said isn't as bad as it looks. When you have purposeful movement and quick decisions you look faster. Our faster skaters look slow out there. This all gets us pinned in and then we line change on half our rushes.

They need to stop playing like a major underdog.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Randoms

Malkin went into beast mode but our players looked lost at the same time.

We gave up too many odd mans if we are trying to win by being defense first

Oshie god mode aside, our ES offense looks like hot crap. Now that teams are aggressive on our PP its tanking too.

Chorney was meh but had a lame penalty. I assume Orpik will be suspended so think Orlov will be back in, but want Barry to unleash him offensively to clear his head. Tell Chorney to be the defensive guy on the pair and stay back. Malkin is going to run rampant next game.

I am disappointed that Willy has been neutered and that Letang was largely untouched. The Orpik forearm shimmer seemed to take the steam out of the hitting. It was nice to see Carlson start hitting but don't expect to see that again anytime soon.

I wonder if Barry will finally demote 14, even though he almost potted a goal.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
What the hell is wrong with Ovi. How many in front of the net chances is he gonna get and miss them? Superstar my butt

Williams is garbage
Kuzy is garbage
Richards completely missed a goal that could of sealed the deal

Stanley cup experience doesn't mean anything when it's on our team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->