Wilson suspended 20 games; fine more than salary (20 Game Suspension Upheld.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Resulting loss of salary more than $1.2m. However, based on how his contract is structured, he got a $5m signing bonus with $1.1m in salary for this season.

So he may actually be "playing for free" and have to "pay to play" (out of signing bonus).

Breaking:
Capitals forward Tom Wilson to appeal 20-game suspension

Just announced plan to appeal (had until Friday).

Bettman hears the appeal. Can reduce, keep or even INCREASE suspension.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Appeals clarity:

1st appeal to the commish. If the commish upholds a suspension of 6+ games then the PA has the option to:

2nd appeal to the independent arbitrator vis grievance.

I’m doubtful the suspension will be changed. It’s unprecedented, at least in the modern NHL, for a player to be suspended this many times in such a short period of time.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I really doubt it'll be reduced.

He is opening himself with appeal to Bettman to INCREASE suspension. That would be an interesting development.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Bettman won’t increase it. You can’t punish a player for using their CBA rights of appeal.

went to traffic court once and the guy before me had a comical defence for parking in a hospital driveway and sleeping while waiting on his elderly mother inside.

"why didnt the officer wake me up and tell me to move my car?"

the justice replied, "the officer's duty is to witness an infraction and issue the proper ticket, not to wake you up while sleeping in a car and inform you that you are in violation. i'm doubling your fine"

he was stunned…

many people in the court that day had a good chuckle at that idiots expense

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
And the NHL files yet another batch of paperwork to the: "players don't care about safety" file, which must be huge at this point.

this one is Probably unfair, as the union has a duty to Wilson in these proceedings. But it just feels wrong.

If a jury has to decide damages in a concussion lawsuit, I think the players suing are going get a tiny portion of what they're expecting.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Friedman on NHL Now (NHLN) this afternoon indicated that unless there was a delay, the appeal presentation/discussion took six hours.

That's long.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
If the appeal hearing took 6 hours, then I’m going to assume a good part of the delay between initial suspension and appeal was to allow both parties extra time to assemble their arguments and material.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So the nhl can fine him and take out of his signing bonus?

Thought mayne that would be a loophole with how many players are getting them for lockout protection

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
So the nhl can fine him and take out of his signing bonus?

Thought mayne that would be a loophole with how many players are getting them for lockout protection

With his (initial) fine greater than his entire gross salary, he'd have to repay part of the signing bonus. (And probably get no salary for the year.) Or pay the amount not covered by "salary" during the suspension period out of signing bonus and get his nominal salary for the rest of the season. Or some other combination.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
The delay for filing, pleading and the decision is just way too long even if he decides to go for the arbitrator(as he should) by the time a verdict is reached it will be pretty close the 20 games mark

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Interesting tidbits from the PDF:

- DoPS/Parros called Wilson after the Marchessault check in the finals with a warning to make better decisions in the timing and selection of his hits.

- Parros met with Wilson in-person before this season in August to review videos of hits by Wilson the DoPS considered concerning.

- DoPS based suspension length on valuing Wilson's prior 3 game playoff suspension as 6 regular season games. Then applied a 3x multiplier for repeated offenses to arrive at 18 game base suspension. An additional 2 games were then added on for the injury to Sundqvist, making the total 20 games.

Last edited:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Now that the NHLPA has officially announced its appeal, does Oskar Sundqvist get to make a submission to the arbitrator? Is there any process within the appeal which involves the victim?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Now that the NHLPA has officially announced its appeal, does Oskar Sundqvist get to make a submission to the arbitrator? Is there any process within the appeal which involves the victim?

I haven’t seen anywhere yet that the PA has announced they’ll appeal to the arbitrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->