Wilson hit on Brandon Carlo (Part-2) (suspended 7 games)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
As a Caps fan, I didn’t like the hit. I thought it was unnecessary, and dangerous.

I also think he might get suspended. But in no way, was that worth 30 games.

the reason for ratcheting up the suspension length every time is to incentivize a more careful approach to playing for those who like to play on the edge. it's not necessarily indicative of the seriousness of the latest offense relative previous.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I finally got to see the video.

It’s blatantly predatory and Wilson effectively crushed Carlo’s head into the boards.

How many times have we seen a player battling for a puck with an opponent get crushed by a 3rd player coming in for a check?

NHL needs to get on top of these hits.

Last edited:

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
the reason for ratcheting up the suspension length every time is to incentivize a more careful approach to playing for those who like to play on the edge. it's not necessarily indicative of the seriousness of the latest offense relative previous.
Exactly the whole point is maybe if Wilson faced serious consequences he might reconsider his predatory ways in the future

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
As a Habs fan I’m going to go off what I’ve been taught this year.
1) he hit the body first
2) the head was unavoidable
3) kept his hands in tight to the chest
4) 95% of the blow to the head was because it hit the glass
5. He kept low didn’t explode up.

Clean hit nothing to see here

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This is very much not just about the hit ittself but about Tom Wilson. When he gets the chance to take a hit to someones head he takes it , every time. He just doesn't care. He had a chance for a big body blow on Carlo , it was wide open to hit but instead he went for a high hit. With Wilsons history this should be lengthy and a very last warning to not hit people in the head ( no matter what that other player does or doesn't do ) or he'll be removed from the league permanently.

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Regardless of what anything any Bruins player (past or present) has done, Tom Wilson is the topic here.

I like the player and wish the Rangers had someone as physical, but that shit has no place in the game.

Hes gotta understand this unacceptable.

His last suspension was for 20 games, thus one has to be for more.

25 games, at least.

member 96824

This is very much not about the hit ittself but about Tom Wilson. When he gets the chance to take a hit to someones head he takes it , every time. He just doesn't care. He had a chance for a big body blow on Carlo , it was wide open to hit but instead he went for a high hit. With Wilsons history this should be lengthy and a very last warning to not hit people in the head ( no matter what that other plays does or doesn't do ) or he'll be removed from the league permanently.

This.

Honestly, I’m surprised the union hasn’t stepped in.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Thought the intent to pick the head was much clearer than the Sundqvist hit he got 14 games for. In that case it both players were at speed and he could have been trying to line up the body and just missed, here Carlo was standing still and Wilson had plenty of time to pick his landing spot . . . certainly no way to predict what this league will do.

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Exactly the whole point is maybe if Wilson faced serious consequences he might reconsider his predatory ways in the future

His last suspension was 14 games and he lost $900,000. That was a serious consequence and did change the way he played for a while. His play, going back to pre-Covid, was getting more and more reckless, and it was just a matter of time before he messed up again.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Awful strange the only ones seemingly defending this are caps fans...

The whataboutism is pretty off the chain... can't somebody hate Marchand AND Wilson? Does Carlo deserve what happened to him because he plays with Marchand? Cause that is sort of the impression I am getting from caps fans itt

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
I'm not blaming anyone. How can I be any clearer, hits like that happen, unless your team never does that don't cry about it.

From my perspective, the history of the teams does not and should not impact how this hit should be managed by the league.

The hit clearly a head shot and opportunistic. If it is deems the hit to be so, then the league should come hard on Wilson.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
His last suspension was 14 games and he lost $900,000. That was a serious consequence and did change the way he played for a while. His play, going back to pre-Covid, was getting more and more reckless, and it was just a matter of time before he messed up again.
Well hopefully a similar punitive measure snaps him back into a more disciplined, less reckless state, even if only for a few seasons.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Still remember the days when Bruins fans were so proud of their Big Bad Bruins and complaining how the whiny Canadiens fans love their soft hockey.

The times have certainly changed. They get into a few physical match-ups these days and the main boards are filled about the whining for weeks.

Guess who was voted the dirtiest players in the NHL recently? Hint: he's well loved in Boston.
Oh ninja please, Boston fans are no different than any others. If their player had made this hit they would be doing all sorts of verbal contortions to defend it and Cap fans would be posting examples comparing it to the more notorious head shots through the ages while screaming for a 15 game suspension.

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
I'm not blaming anyone. How can I be any clearer, hits like that happen, unless your team never does that don't cry about it.
"Hits like this happen" Not usual on the ice, and not usual a response on the message board, unless you are trying to justify an illegal hit,

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Heat of the moment stuff happens, Bruin fans should take a look at the past performances of players on their roster.

what other players on the Bruins have done in the past is completely irrelevant to THIS hit. Completely. If you’re making an assessment of this hit based on something someone else did at another time, you’re missing the point.

it’s one thing if a particular fan exhibits a double standard that you want to point out. Beyond that your thought process seems more than a bit wacky.

Score8

Apr 6, 2017

you should be blaming the guy who for some reason very often finds himself at the center of multiple dirty hit scandals annually. You don’t think it’s odd that caps fans are repeatedly using the same argument to defend the same guy? The only thing that changes in this story is the name of the victim he tries to intentionally injure.

member 96824

Oh ninja please, Boston fans are no different than any others. If their player had made this hit they would be doing all sorts of verbal contortions to defend it and Cap fans would be posting examples comparing it to the more notorious head shots through the ages while screaming for a 15 game suspension.

This is also accurate.

Funny how no one sees it in the moment.

Even funnier how people can walk into a thread with a “I’m for headshots and hospital visits” take because of the colors and logo on the sweater.

Maybe funny isn’t the right word..sad

member 96824

The whataboutism is pretty off the chain... can't somebody hate Marchand AND Wilson? Does Carlo deserve what happened to him because he plays with Marchand? Cause that is sort of the impression I am getting from caps fans itt

Whataboutism is the lowest IQ thing that ever happened to the internet.

Even logically it doesn’t make sense. So you’re saying the headshots that Marchand has dished out are bad but this one is good? You’re for headshots all together? You agree that it’s just as bad as the ones in the past?

It has no sense behind it, it’s just someone trying to make themselves feel better and smarter because they pointed out some perception of hypocrisy..while being hypocritical in the process :laugh:. It’s turtles all the way down!

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
As a Habs fan I’m going to go off what I’ve been taught this year.
1) he hit the body first
2) the head was unavoidable
3) kept his hands in tight to the chest
4) 95% of the blow to the head was because it hit the glass
5. He kept low didn’t explode up.

Clean hit nothing to see here
In the long term, the NHL and the game of hockey would be best served by making a sincere effort to take concussions out of the game.

I honestly see a path where DoPS can make a case that the hit wasn't worthy of a suspension. But if that's the result of their review, then I think the NHL needs to have a long, hard look at their rules.

Personally, I would hope that the NHL would consider a blanket ban on contact to the head of your opponent. If players can be told that they're responsible for their sticks at all times, then they should be responsible for making sure they don't make contact with their opponent's head while throwing a body check. Intent or principal point of contact shouldn't matter.

The point is that the game would be much better off if those sorts of hits were routinely punished, no matter which players throw them. I'm not saying that Brandon Carlo is a star, but how many really, really good players have to have their careers ended by concussions before the league gets serious about these sorts of hits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad