• Dirty

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I keep saying if you look at the trajectory of some of the biggest NHL dirty jackasses through the years, Goony McGoonerson over in Washington is on pace to surpass all of them, chalking up events at a younger age in fewer years... Unless an AHL guy gets called up specifically for meyhem, The NHL typically takes well over a half decade for a POS player to just get on the radar of DPOS to the point they are fining and suspending them... this guy is into major suspensions and he is what, 25?

Turned 24 in March.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
This thread needs a part II.

Surprised he got 3 games honestly. IMO this is the NHL saying enough is enough with any hits to the head - plus making up for Wilson's very questionable Dumoulin hit.

Going purely by the rulebook and looking at only this one hit, it's not really worth 3 playoff games.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
3 games in the playoffs is a lot from a borderline hit. Every news outlet and sports radio that I listen to all have different takes. Voting from fans here is mostly split too.

I thought he deserved a game. 3 games in the playoffs is excessive.

Hope Reese gets better though. Tough injury to take as he tries to pave out his NHL career.

Except its nowhere near borderline and he has a history. Look at the overhead angle and tell me with a straight face he didnt hit him in the head. Its laughable.

you CANNOT break someones jaw, without something hitting their jaw. Its not exactly rocket science.

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
This thread needs a part II.

Surprised he got 3 games honestly. IMO this is the NHL saying enough is enough with any hits to the head - plus making up for Wilson's very questionable Dumoulin hit.

Going purely by the rulebook and looking at only this one hit, it's not really worth 3 playoff games.

But player history is considered when determining the length of the suspension. It's intended to further deter the player from doing it again, since previous punishments clearly have not worked.

His next hit like this should be 5 games, minimum. Because that would mean the 3 game one he just got wasn't enough to deter him.

Reactions: Riptide

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

Repeat offender = within 18 months of his last offense.

Mr Wilson is inclusive of that number by a country mile

If this was his first offense, he gets 1 game. But this is strike #3 for him this YEAR. Again, not this decade...this calendar year. It's frankly amazing

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
NHL rules are written, maintained, and enforced by idiots who aren't smart enough to engineer a safer game. Hockey is never going to be non-contact, but it can be much safer if the NHL had 1 ounce of concern for the health of the players who populate it. Players need to be 100% focused on the puck and playing the puck at all times.
Very well stated.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
But player history is considered when determining the length of the suspension. It's intended to further deter the player from doing it again, since previous punishments clearly have not worked.

His next hit like this should be 5 games, minimum. Because that would mean the 3 game one he just got wasn't enough to deter him.
I'm aware of that and that's all well and good, but you'd like to see these suspensions for clearly malicious hits. Not hits that have the hockey world split basically 50/50 on its legality. If anything he should have been suspended after the Dumoulin hit. This is how you play tennis without the net if you're the NHL.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Mike Sullivan and the pens basically forced the leagues hand. Disgusting. Should be an investigation into this.

This is dangerously close to libel/slander which is against forums rules. Show one SHREAD of ANYTHING that supports that cockamamie bullshit or delete it.

Reactions: Pengwins

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is dangerously close to libel/slander which is against forums rules. Show one SHREAD of ANYTHING that supports that cockamamie bull**** or delete it.
I'd say a transcript of Sullivan's post-game comments in the presser should suffice, you know, where he basically challenged the league to do something.

ReggieDunlop8766

May 26, 2017
I'd say a transcript of Sullivan's post-game comments in the presser should suffice, you know, where he basically challenged the league to do something.
I believe he said something like “we hope the league at some point will address” the ass hat that has led the league In penalty minutes since he entered and shows a knack for being involved in questionable hits more often than any other player in the league. He went on to say Mario and Sidney demand a suspension And that the mayor of Pittsburgh was filing lawsuits against the league daily until such suspension occurs. Of course I’m paraphrasing

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Speaking of which there is the Penguin i hate more than Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke....Jagr was a ***** to deal with.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm aware of that and that's all well and good, but you'd like to see these suspensions for clearly malicious hits. Not hits that have the hockey world split basically 50/50 on its legality. If anything he should have been suspended after the Dumoulin hit. This is how you play tennis without the net if you're the NHL.

It's split that way, because there's a lot of idiots out there who think some of the following:

- He should have had his head up (he did, and even braced for the hit)
- The hit was a great hit even though he hit him in the head (the NHL has rules around this)
- That because he hit the shoulder, that it doesn't matter if he hit him in the head (again, the NHL has rules around this)
- That he didn't hit the head at all, or that he hit the neck/chest area first and thus it's all good (that's not how the rule is written)

The fact of the matter is that Wilson had the chance to just go shoulder to shoulder. All he had to do was continue on his path and hit ZAR with his right shoulder, and it would have been a great legal hit - the kind ever fan likes to see. Instead as he's going in to hit him, he rotates, misses most of the body and shoulder and hits him mainly in the head with his left shoulder. That took this hit from a potentially great legal hit, to a devastating illegal hit. This was a choice that Wilson made. He had a lot of time to make a decision on this, and made a very very poor one. He should be thankful as f*** that he wasn't given 5, 10 and a game, because that would actually punish the team and not just him.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
wilson has been suspended already and pens fans are still whining about the hit. he really does live in their heads :laugh:

Reactions: powerstuck

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Two big men, gladiators as it were, come at each other, both having intent to hit each other with as much force as possible, one man gets blown up by the other man with a legal hit under the current rules. The other man is injured, the optics are bad, it's not the Caps player who "lost" so the end result (suspension) is what we have.

Aston-Reese blows up Wilson and this is a positive highlight shown for eternity among Pens fans.
So if ZAR had elevated above Wilson and targeted his head on the play, you would have been OK with that?

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
This is dangerously close to libel/slander which is against forums rules. Show one SHREAD of ANYTHING that supports that cockamamie bull**** or delete it.

[choking with laughter]

You are going to start policing unsubstantiated statements on an internet messageboard?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
So if ZAR had elevated above Wilson and targeted his head on the play, you would have been OK with that?

If the hits were exactly the same hit, none of this targeting the head bullshit (Wilson didn't do that), and Aston-Reese blew up Wilson I would 100% be ok with it. I would also be impressed that he could handle himself against a much bigger opponent.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
It's amazing that Matt Martin threw like 300 hits a year for about five years and I never seen him injure nor try to injure people in this manor. Yes you can still hit in the NHL without elbows and shoulders making head contact. Somehow Tom can't seem to figure that out.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ok this is so OT it's probably worth closing...

But for future reference repeat offender status players who commit major penalties that warrent suspension in the playoffs should be tossed for at minimum the whole series... that would make everyone think twice about doing anything even close to the line

Reactions: kladorf2005

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
It's amazing that Matt Martin threw like 300 hits a year for about five years and I never seen him injure nor try to injure people in this manor. Yes you can still hit in the NHL without elbows and shoulders making head contact. Somehow Tom can't seem to figure that out.
He ended Keith Ballards career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad