Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
So how does McAvoy not even getting a call for an eblow to the chops after the puck is gone? Does the lawyer just pull up the clip and say the defendants are f***ing morons?

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So how does McAvoy not even getting a call for an eblow to the chops after the puck is gone? Does the lawyer just pull up the clip and say the defenents are ****ing morons?
The NHL doesnt treat all headshots equally. Which is becoming a big problem. They suspended Matheson for his hit on Pettereson. There was no head contact. Actually I think he was suspended for the push that happened after the hit. I didnt think it was suspension worthy. But Mathewson is just a scrub so they give him a couple games. If a higher profile player does that, he gets nothing.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
Should’ve just played this on the big screen

Only got 5 games. Much more deliberate and Marchand has a similar history.

Bettman will reduce it a few games so Wilson doesn’t go to an arbitrator. There is so much evidence Wilson can use that the suspension is unreasonable compared to other cases.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Im maybe wrong, but probably it's because at first meeting with them he was alone, so no one could protect him, but now, he has bunch of lawyers, so Bettman is forced to provide all arguments they're asking.

At least MacLellan was with him based on his comments. Wilson was not alone. The format clearly was completely different.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
All y’all saying it’s clear what the league wants are wrong. The “just stop hitting the head” thing is what hf posters want, but it is not what the league has told Wilson. Per comments from multiple players. the league has given Wilson conflicting guidance on what it wants to see from him, which is in fact the opposite of clear. As to just somehow doing it anyway, if you don’t know what it is, then how the heck do you do it? Moreover, fairness again is not the point. If one team is only allowed to score touchdowns and all the others can score touchdowns and field goals, then it is not merely unfair; it is unworkable. That team can not operate competitively.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Should’ve just played this on the big screen

Only got 5 games. Much more deliberate and Marchand has a similar history.

Bettman will reduce it a few games so Wilson doesn’t go to an arbitrator. There is so much evidence Wilson can use that the suspension is unreasonable compared to other cases.

I used this hit as a comparison when I was debating with a Bruins fan. He somehow thinks Marchand isnt a dirty player but was ripping in Tom Wilson. I still dont consider Wilson dirty. He plays at a fast pace and can be reckless. None of hits are premeditated. They were hockey plays that had a bad result. Marchand is just flat out dirty. Everything he does is intentional. BTW this elbow on Johansson caused a concussion and it was Marchands 6th suspension. How is this intentional elbow to the head 5 games and the Wilson hit 20. They can't even use the repeat offender as an excuse.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think the league honestly thinks Willy could kill someone with a legal hit and remain unsure how to handle it.
I agree. Wilson puts so much energy into his hits a player could easily be injured even on a clean hit. It almost seems as if the league is treating Tom Wilson hits different than other hits around the league.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005
I used this hit as a comparison when I was debating with a Bruins fan. He somehow thinks Marchand isnt a dirty player but was ripping in Tom Wilson. I still dont consider Wilson dirty. He plays at a fast pace and can be reckless. None of hits are premeditated. They were hockey plays that had a bad result. Marchand is just flat out dirty. Everything he does is intentional. BTW this elbow on Johansson caused a concussion and it was Marchands 6th suspension. How is this intentional elbow to the head 5 games and the Wilson hit 20. They can't even use the repeat offender as an excuse.

It blows my mind Marchand got 5 and Wilson got 20. Marchand goes out of his way to target the head and the play had no purpose. Wilson should have been suspended but atleast he was lining up a hit to separate the player from the puck and didn’t specifically target the head.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I agree. Wilson puts so much energy into his hits a player could easily be injured even on a clean hit. It almost seems as if the league is treating Tom Wilson hits different than other hits around the league.

... and imo that's at least in part because the League and the players through their Agreement are way off-base. The Agreement lacks any explicit provision requiring equal treatment for similar infractions (assuming other considerations are not in play). There's a provision for considering "other factors as may be appropriate under the circumstances," but nothing that suggests that a starting point for any penalty is the punishment previously meted out for similar infractions.

As far as Marchand and others who behave like he does, the League seems to implicitly condone sneaky/dirty behavior until it causes serious injury. I'd like to see the next Agreement include a provision that allows for injured players - such as Mojo after the Marchand-induced concussion - or their representatives to be present and introduce evidence at in-person hearings and any subsequent appeals. The NHLPA is in the compromised position of having to represent the player targeted for suspension while ignoring the interests of their member who has been affected by the behavior of the disciplinee. If the union is going to stand beside the target of the discipline, the (injured) player deserves an opportunity to be heard and/or advocated for.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Stop blowing up guys' heads. It's that simple.
Oh it's that simple?

It's a fast paced sport. Sundqvist pointed his head down right before getting clobbered, if he doesn't do that it's a clean hit. 100%, a clean hit.

Wilson is fast and already on track to make that hit, is he supposed to slow down time once Sundqvist points his head down so he can make the decision to stop the hit he's already about to make?

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Oh it's that simple?

It's a fast paced sport. Sundqvist pointed his head down right before getting clobbered, if he doesn't do that it's a clean hit. 100%, a clean hit.

Wilson is fast and already on track to make that hit, is he supposed to slow down time once Sundqvist points his head down so he can make the decision to stop the hit he's already about to make?
This. Plus again, kid ended up with a separated shoulder which would seem to indicate that the primary contact was with the shoulder and the head contact happened secondarily and potentially as a consequence of the injury caused by the primary contact. Similarly, Willy got 3 playoff games for a hit in which the hittee was a full and active participant but lost the confrontation. It’s all one-sided. Willy comes in for a clean hit and the other players somehow bear no responsibility when their actions create a dangerous situation.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Oh it's that simple?

I agree it isn't as simple as Jags says. Its a fast game and once you are in the motion to make the hit there is no turning back. Sundqvist did put himself in a vulnerable position on that hit and the league even noted that but they threw the book at him anyway.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
This. Plus again, kid ended up with a desperate shoulder which would seem to indicate that the primary contact was with the shoulder and the head contact happened secondarily and potentially as a consequence of the injury caused by the primary contact. Similarly, Willy got 3 playoff games for a hit in which the hittee was a full and active participant but lost the confrontation. It’s all one-sided. Willy comes in for a clean hit and the other players somehow bear no responsibility when their actions create a dangerous situation.
Lol Ashton-Reese took Wilson on head on and got annihilated.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bentsie needs a week to read the transcripts. Hilarious, he is fooling no one. If he hasn't already made up his mind I question what he was doing for those 7 hours. Or who is calling the shots.

The jury now deliberates
659fc54377b56ea0b5174a73907d0d26--sidney-crosby-mario.jpg

hockey-casual-portrait-of-pittsburgh-penguins-sidney-crosby-and-mario-picture-id82757636

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad