Wilson gets 20 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I agree with so much of what people are posting about the length. You simply can't hit a player in open ice anymore and that is that.

I am still trying to figure out Kucherov didn't get anything for his hit on Vatanen during the playoffs (he didn't play the next game), but Doughty does get a game (in the playoffs) for almost the exact same thing. How either player was supposed to account for the player "dropping" down slightly is beyond me.

Just make all hits illegal and be done with it. Everything we have taught kids about "exploding" into the hit is basically illegal.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I agree with so much of what people are posting about the length. You simply can't hit a player in open ice anymore and that is that.

I am still trying to figure out Kucherov didn't get anything for his hit on Vatanen during the playoffs (he didn't play the next game), but Doughty does get a game (in the playoffs) for almost the exact same thing. How either player was supposed to account for the player "dropping" down slightly is beyond me.

Just make all hits illegal and be done with it. Everything we have taught kids about "exploding" into the hit is basically illegal.

The Kucherov hit was definitely a hit to the head. Not alot different than the Wilson hit on Sundqvist. This may have been worse because it was easily avoidable. He likely didnt get a suspension for a couple reasons. He doesnt have a repution and the player got up and skated off on his own.
If that's a Wilson hit that guy doesn't get up and Wilson gets the book thrown at him.
This hit is a perfect example of what Wilson should be using for evidence in his appeal. It shows that reputation and the force put into the hit are more important than the action itself.

Reactions: Corby78

letsgocaps

Apr 5, 2008
FRANCE
Pretty much every open ice hits are dangerous for the head . I was just watching some highlights of Exelby throwing hits, he would get suspended for all of them nowadays. Use to love that guy. Wilson's hit did not strike me as more vicious than a lot of others happening around the nhl on a weekly basis. He's just too strong. I hope he can adjust quickly, remember ov had a bit of a tough time after that campbell suspension.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009

This is what I mentioned earlier! There was a third similar hit around these other two and the NHL released a video "defending" their actions. I want to say it was a Shark involved in the other one I think. It was completely laughable.

How can they claim reputation though? Hate to repeat myself but how does Marchard only get 5 games for this SIXTH suspension when he dropped a clear elbow to the head after the whistle? Seriously, all his suspensions and fines have been for "non-hockey" plays like low bridges, spears, elbows and etc. Wilson with the exceptions of some boarding are hits that probably aren't even looked at if it were a smaller player.

Just noticed Sundquvist was put on LITR. Does he have prior concussion issues because LITR isn't normally a thing for concussions that shortly after the incident. Shoulder separations and dislocations are 3+ weeks though. Also makes the NHL look like idiots too.

Last edited:

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
I've been proposing it for years now: use the international experience. Make all hits to the head an automatic 2+10 penalty (boarding and elbowing too), judge the action instead of a player and don't make up some totally subjective "princuple point of contact" BS. The players will no longer keep the heads up, but if the DOPS is serious (lol), it's the only way we can really get rid of actual headhunting, and principle-huinciple doesn't even mean that much, it's not like it becomes much less dangerous (Stevens on Kozlov was full body).

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

There's definitely a difference between the two hits. Kucherov got a significant amount of the body on his hit, and the hit appears to be through the core of Vatanen's torso. Doughty's hit wasn't through the core of Carrier's body, glancing off his shoulder and most of the impact ended up directly to the head.

I doubt too many folks would be upset if Kucherov got a one game suspension as well. Given the rulebook and clarifications the DoPS has made on illegal checks to the head, I can understand why they might view the two hits differently though.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
There's definitely a difference between the two hits. Kucherov got a significant amount of the body on his hit, and the hit appears to be through the core of Vatanen's torso. Doughty's hit wasn't through the core of Carrier's body, glancing off his shoulder and most of the impact ended up directly to the head.

I doubt too many folks would be upset if Kucherov got a one game suspension as well. Given the rulebook and clarifications the DoPS has made on illegal checks to the head, I can understand why they might view the two hits differently though.
Except the little jump into Vatsnen’s head. It’s not like other hits where players coil up prior to the hit and explode through the whole hit. Kuch is close to being upright and jumps just at/slightly before contact which put his shoulder directly on the jaw. I’d be more inclined to not call BS if the shoulder had any significant contact with the body prior to the head, but his shoulder hits absolutely nothing prior to the head.

Also, how much of a f***ing clown show does it make the league to have an appeal to go straight to a person’s boss? I mean it’s done that way so the majority of the suspension is served before an actual appeal process happens but still.

Last edited:

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
My issue, as it is the same with many based on what I’ve read, is the dops/nhl metes out supplemental discipline based on reputation and result rather than action and intent.

If your a “star” you get little to nothing on a “suspendable” offense. See malkinstein, Crosby, gonchar and to a lesser extent Marchand as examples. The exception being ovechkin. “Bad guy”? You’ll get it. If wilson, or any other non-star, did what Malkinstein did he’d have sat for sure.

Is player is hurt? Boom, hammer comes down. The bortuzzo hit, if kempny isn’t hurt, probably zero chance he gets suspended. Yet that hit was way more egregious than what wilson did. He meant to throw the elbow, square into his jaw, knowing full well the glass was a foot away. He’d been sat for blowing up jagr with a shoulder to the jaw in 2014. Yet he only gets what’s tantamount to a one game parking.

Unless open ice hits are made illegal, which I never want to see happen, players are going to get blown up and, sadly, hurt. It’s a dangerous sport. Are slap shots going to be made illegal or a penalty if too many players get hit by them in the head/face? Leaping hits, elbows/forearms extended, clear cut head shots during an open ice hit? Absolutely need to go.

The player that, at the last possible instant, puts himself in a position that a legal, clean hit knocks him silly shouldn’t be penalized.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So this theory is not that crazy after all.

P.S. U caught me, I didn't read whole thread. Was little bit tired of reading main ones. So much hate there.

I left that main thread a week or more ago. No point. People wanted his head on a stick and they got it. So— it’s a thread to avoid.

Don’t need to witness the torch and pitchfork brigade running around feeling vindicated. It’s a bad look. For all of us

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
upload_2018-10-11_22-10-48.png

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I expect no leniency on our Willy, and I also expect the longest most drawn out arbitration proceeding possible. If they are going to give him 1 game back, we will only learn of it after the 19th game.

I wonder if the Watson appeal was influenced by... recent popular current events. #TheNHLToo

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad