Wilson dirty hit to head on Brandon Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He looked down because he lost the puck in his feet. This shouldnt be this hard to understand. He also has no time to brace for the hit regardless as Wilson was on his before he even finished his board battles.
Okay? It's not hard to understand, we're both seeing the same event. He did the wrong thing. If you lose the puck in your feet along the boards like that, get your head up. This play is right off the dump in, there are other players coming. You essentially lost your chance at the puck when you didn't get it clean, and that's not your fault, but the next step is to look up and get out of the way of/absorb what's coming in next and then battle until your own support shows up.

It's not an uncommon play and it's how a lot of 4 man shuffles on the wall start. He doesn't have enough time to brace for the hit and keep the puck, but only if the hit is coming and that's important, because it was. If it wasn't he still had time to check first and win the puck against Vrana, he had done that much already. He did too much too fast, skipped a step with confidence, and took a shot for it because it was coming and nobody seemed to warn him.

Woncka

Jan 19, 2021
Id be surprised if we dont see a lengthy suspension

guessing a minimum of 20+ games. If precedent is accurate, should be 30+

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, he made contact with the head which is a no-no but it wouldn't have happened had Carlo attempted to brace for impact and protect himself.
A no-no meaning there’s something wrong with the hit?

I agree Carlo could have protected himself better but he was tied up with another guy trying to win the puck battle and made himself vulnerable to a hit. Happens a lot, there’s just not always someone there to bury you. This time there was and he happened to have made contact with the head.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
38 pages for 0 minutes penalty ahahaha

Listen, if the Wilson haters (I mean NHL refs) didn’t even gave him 2 minutes it means there was nothing criminal. Haters on HFB have to stop their BS.
———

This (Carlo’s unfortunate injury) is what happens when a 4th line plug poke the bear in the 1st game of a back to back in a regular season.

The problem for Caps opponents throughout the years when the game goes physical is that the Caps leaders Ovi & co can respond by themselves and hit you hard when somebody try to act like a big boy against them. Caps players are no soft.

But when the physicality elevates in a Caps game, the other team better be ready for unfortunates outcomes when they start to poke the bear.

The only guy to blame for Carlo’s injury is Frederic. No one else.

l4FGCfEWJ7ztMzZao.gif

HabsInsider

Buy XRP.
Mar 2, 2013
A no-no meaning there’s something wrong with the hit?

I agree Carlo could have protected himself better but he was tied up with another guy trying to win the puck battle and made himself vulnerable to a hit. Happens a lot, there’s just not always someone there to bury you. This time there was and he happened to have made contact with the head.

Wilson made contact to the head so he will probably be punished regardless if it was intentional or actually his fault.

Hitting is part of the game and players usually take appropriate action to absorb a hit. This is what can happen when they don't.

It's setting a bad precedent if you punish a player for finishing his check against a player who makes no effort to protect himself. You may as well just remove hitting from the game at that point.

It's upsetting to see, especially if all this talk of a brain injury is true. And knowing Wilson was involved, I can understand why people are extra angry. I just think most of the blame for what happened rests on Carlo.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wilson made contact to the head so he will probably be punished regardless if it was intentional or actually his fault.

Hitting is part of the game and players usually take appropriate action to absorb a hit. This is what can happen when they don't.

It's setting a bad precedent if you punish a player for finishing his check against a player who makes no effort to protect himself. You may as well just remove hitting from the game at that point.

It's upsetting to see, especially if all this talk of a brain injury is true. And knowing Wilson was involved, I can understand why people are extra angry. I just think most of the blame for what happened rests on Carlo.
I agree with most of that.

I just think there’s plenty of occasions where guys are vulnerable and they don’t get hit in the skull because the hitter let’s up.

Maybe this could have been one of those occasions, maybe not, maybe it happened too fast and Wilson didn’t mean to hit up high.

Who knows!

Reactions: HabsInsider

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
... board battles like this happen 10 times a game and you don't see 10+ times a game where a player has his head slammed into the boards. If you think this isn't a big suspension you're about to be very disappointed
We will find out tomorrow

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Yeah, looked very bad to me. I think Perron will give him a lengthy 1 game suspension.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Here's where you're wrong.

1st. Carlo was already engaged by another player and won the puck battle.
2nd. Call it reckless or whatever, it's still on Wilson to recognize a player in a bad position and not full truck them. Not playing the puck at all.
3rd. Even if it's reckless, on a play gone bad, those still come with consequences.
4th. The players being aware while being distracted by another player and you are the 3rd man in and injure the player should be treated differently than that of a guy who's just one on one with another...That's not only cheap and dirty when you're not going for the puck, it's disgusting piece of garbage work fit for a soap party to get the point across to players like Wilson to understand why stuff like that is wrong.

A smart player would see the opportunity to try and get the puck to try and help win the game.

Completely unnecessary.

On top of that you have Varana cross checking a
injured man with his hands down to the ice in distress... Like why? because he beat you out of a puck battle? He should be fined.

Not exactly good PR for them...
Carlos won the puck battle. .
Wilson went in full force to separate player from puck..
Is Wilson to let up mid stride because Carlose put himself in a bad spot ,he couldn't.
3rd man in only applies in fights..
It was a hit gone wrong ..
I dont believe he went in to hospital carlos but i do believe he he went in with 220 pounds of force..which isnt illegal. . I hate seeing guys get injured like that.. wilson hits hard and never lets up.. thats his game.. thats a non caps fan pov

Reactions: AllAlphas

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That’s one of the most blatantly dirty, predatory hits I’ve seen in a long time.

Anything less than a suspension rest of the season is a joke here.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Nothing wrong with this hit other than Carlo putting himself in a dangerous position. He had the puck, knew the hit was coming, yet made no effort to protect himself.

You have to expect an opposing player is going to finish his check. His back wasn't turned.

If he would have braced himself and stood tall like a man, Wilson would have made shoulder to shoulder contact. For some reason Carlo sagged and lowered his head. It's unfortunate and totally his fault.

How could he know the hit was coming? He was battling another player...

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I think we can debate if it was a bad hit or not without blaming Carlo. The victim blaming is gross and not needed

Absolutely nothing he did wrong here. Trying to make a play in the corner while already engaged by Wilson’s teammate (Vrana), so wasn’t expecting someone to come in that fast and that hard on him. Sure wasn’t expecting someone to try and cut across the front of his body rather than go shoulder to shoulder, either. Player is going to let up if they hit someone here almost every time. It’s having respect for your opponent

Clearly that didn’t happen here
I agree but wilson only has 1 gear..

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
What have I missed here?

In europe its up to the player making the hit to make sure he does not make a hit to the head on the opposing player! Is it the opposite in north america that the defending player has to guarantee the hitting player can not hit the head? Some people make it sound like its OK to hit a vulnerable player in the head just because the option is there, which is ludicrous. If you cant throw a safe hit, then hold back a bit or dont hit at all, otherwise pay the consequences in suspension.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->