Votes: 150 47.9%
  • Gaudreau

Votes: 163 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
As of right now Geadreau is better but Nylander has the potential to be the same kind of player IMO while as a center which would tilt the favour. I think Nylander has the potential and is well on his way into becoming a dominant all-around #1 C in the mold of Backstrom.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Of course it isn't, but how can you ever really know that about a specific player unless you have a crystal ball? Good guess on Marner I suppose, though he's a notoriously slow starter and there is 70 games left to go.
Maybe you should tell that to the folks who were predicting with certainty that Marner would be better going forward because he was "already" better as a rookie.

My entire point has always been that its far from guaranteed that a player will progress in a linear fashion, which is why I take Gaudreau over both Marner and Nylander, as he had already proven that he was already a top 5 player in his position. I never made any statement that Marner was certain to regress or fail to progress, but I did mention that the possibility of such a set back certainly existed.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
But I was assured that since he would obviously improve over because he was younger than Gaudreau. His early struggles this year suggest that perhaps development isn't linear for all players, like I said a billion times.
He still has a lot of time to improve. I wouldn't beat your chest over it. You also said this about Matthews and how he might stagnate because teams now have more tape on him

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He still has a lot of time to improve. I wouldn't beat your chest over it. You also said this about Matthews and how he might stagnate because teams now have more tape on him

Of course, I still expect him to improve. But it's far from a guarantee like some would lead you to believe. I think this slow start highlights that risk.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Of course, I still expect him to improve. But it's far from a guarantee like some would lead you to believe. I think this slow start highlights that risk.
I actually suspected Marner might have a lot of trouble in his second year. Nylander and Matthews have the benefit of each playing with another elite young talent so I think they're both going to explode this year. We'll see how Nylander ends up relative to Gaudreau by the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad