Speculation: Willy Nilly XX

Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Perhaps. However, we should know by history that just because a player doesn't get signed before season starts doesn't mean he doesn't want to be there. Besides, it's not just about a few words to the media.

Michael Nylander is another thing though. You won't find many people more jaded about pro hockey than him. And I'm sure his sons have heard more than a few times to take care of themselves first, because teams will screw them over the moment it is to their benefit.

He wouldn't be entirely wrong in that opinion, it's hard to complain about that to loudly when you support a team with Robidas island in it's recent history

Reactions: freshwind

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If any of you think Rielly is worth more than 5 mil AAV for the next 3 or 4 years?, that is why Willie wont sign a 6 mil AAV long term deal. Rielly has outgrown his contract, just saying.

I think maybe Dubas wants to pay Willie for what he is as of now (60 point guy) and Willie wants to be paid for the guy 2/3 years from now (80-100 point guy) ... im bored, so tossing stuff out there

Thats exactly correct, except when contracts are guaranteed and players can't be bought out, why does it make any sense to pay for what a guy might do? Forsberg is practically Willie's statistical clone and he has yet to hit 70pts. Thats not $8M production. Draisaitl wasn't worth his deal and still isn't. He needs to check his ego and accept he isn't at Pasta's level any more than Ehlers is. And you can't suck and blow at the same time saying pay me what I might be worth, but let me keep it all once its proven I am not actually that guy.

It is a fact young stars get less money than their UFA counterparts, but thats because they aren't UFAs. They also get typically get grossly overpaid for the second half of their third contract. NHLPA has to remind their people the cap has to be shared by everyone and unless they want to get paid strictly on actual production they are just robbing each other when they try these power plays as RFAs. Once a player gets to be a UFA thats fine, you've paid your dues and that is the big opportunity to stress the market.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
It happens, sometimes guys out-perform their contract, just like sometimes guys don't perform as well as their getting paid

If you start handing out contracts on something as doubtful as Nylander becoming a consistent 90 point player your completely insane, you pay guys on what they have done with perhaps a slight upwards tick if you think he's got some growth still left in his game

Anything else is cap suicide

You’re absolutely right. He’s had 2 good years with some ups and downs, questionable playoffs and some concerns about compete level etc. I’m positive his numbers will improve but that’s due to playing with Matthews and team getting better overall. He’s not worth more than Pasternak so if the Leafs are offering anywhere between 6 and 6 1/2 million per then not sure what Nylander is doing. Said it before if he’s asking for more then ship him off.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
He's not tradeble at his $8mil asking price - he doesn't get it

This is significant. "I won't sign a team friendly deal because it would make me too easy to trade." Does he think getting a fat contract that stresses the cap is going to keep him in TO? Not unless he outproduces Marner and they have to make that decision. Can't fit within the cap is a surer ticket out of town then being too marketable. Players that outperform their salaries are the ones you keep.
Plus low cost salary is a lot more important to a contender than a bottom 10 team, because a bottom 10 team likely has the cap room to overpay him. $8M Willie doesn't become less tradeable, just less tradeable to a competitive team. He can't direct his future based on salary demands, but he can certainly steer himself out of town.

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Nylander is lucky he's not dealing with Michael Corleone

Corleone: I'm offering you 6.5
Nylander: I'm worth 8.5
Corleone: My final offer is this, $0, and i would appreciate if would put up the money for my hotel and flight ticket back to Toronto tonight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
20 likes so far. Perhaps you need to lighten up

Likes? How do I argue something that scientific

Nylander is public enemy no1 right so anything taking a shot at him no matter how pointless or emotive is going to get likes right now

Last edited:

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
William Nylander is asking for 8 million dollars, which is an absurd overpayment, in a year where we are wringing our hands trying to keep our young core forwards together.

Nylander has shown he has no care in the world regarding the team or even the fans (forcing the team to be broken up).

So not only has this dude denied taking a paycut of any kind, he's actually asking for an absurd bounty and has thrown a fit and sat out games for not getting his way.

Look - the writing is on the wall. It's trade time, and if you don't get the value sit him for the year and be done with it. He's no longer wanted on this team.

He's a selfish piece of candy apple like his pops.

And if you still support this guy or want him here, you should be ashamed of yourself as a fan of the team. It's about the logo on the front not the name on the back.

Turf this selfish :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
This is significant. "I won't sign a team friendly deal because it would make me too easy to trade." Does he think getting a fat contract that stresses the cap is going to keep him in TO? Not unless he outproduces Marner and they have to make that decision. Can't fit within the cap is a surer ticket out of town then being too marketable. Players that outperform their salaries are the ones you keep.
Plus low cost salary is a lot more important to a contender than a bottom 10 team, because a bottom 10 team likely has the cap room to overpay him. $8M Willie doesn't become less tradeable, just less tradeable to a competitive team. He can't direct his future based on salary demands, but he can certainly steer himself out of town.

Based on what Friedman said, it’s not “I don’t want to get traded so give me 8M” it’s “I’m probably getting traded anyway so I want as much money as I can”.

Essentially, the Nylander’s and Gross are looking at the situation and assuming they can’t keep all 4 and Willy is the odd man out. So they aren’t willing to budge on their price.

So if asking for 8M gets him traded, it doesn’t matter because they think he’d get traded at 6M anyway

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
No team in the league will pay Willy 8.5 or anything close to that - he and his camp are delusional if they think otherwise

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Based on what Friedman said, it’s not “I don’t want to get traded so give me 8M” it’s “I’m probably getting traded anyway so I want as much money as I can”.

Essentially, the Nylander’s and Gross are looking at the situation and assuming they can’t keep all 4 and Willy is the odd man out. So they aren’t willing to budge on their price.

So if asking for 8M gets him traded, it doesn’t matter because they think he’d get traded at 6M anyway
That's well put. And it highlights what a difficult situation it is, because Dubas can make promises and talk intentions all he wants, he won't be able to follow through on his word until he's got Matthews and Marner signed.

If we could have gotten even one of them signed early to a good deal, it's possible that would have assuaged Willy camp enough to get a deal done.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
That's well put. And it highlights what a difficult situation it is, because Dubas can make promises and talk intentions all he wants, he won't be able to follow through on his word until he's got Matthews and Marner signed.

If we could have gotten even one of them signed early to a good deal, it's possible that would have assuaged Willy camp enough to get a deal done.

Friedman also mentioned today that Dubas wants to get something done with Matthews soon and talks are ongoing.

It’s possible Dubas has turned some attention to getting Matthews and/or Marner signed so he can go to Nylander’s camp and say “we have ____ left, take it and we can keep you all, higher and we need to make a trade”

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
People are trashing Willies dad when they only know rumors about the negotiations lol, Leaf nation :thumbu:
the best part about it is Shanahan was a bigger me-player /person than Willie's dad lol and he didn't take another players wife

hockey is a business on both sides and fans need to accept it , it may suck but it's reality

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Perhaps. However, we should know by history that just because a player doesn't get signed before season starts doesn't mean he doesn't want to be there. Besides, it's not just about a few words to the media.

Michael Nylander is another thing though. You won't find many people more jaded about pro hockey than him. And I'm sure his sons have heard more than a few times to take care of themselves first, because teams will screw them over the moment it is to their benefit.
Michael Nylander made about $40 million US during his career. Let's not act like he was some sort of victim...

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
LOL at asking for more money because you're sure you're going to get traded - I'm convinced the Nylander camp have lost their minds - this is what happens when you have zero leverage lol

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Anyway ,Dubas has made his pitch, Nylander has made his.
So how long before a decision is made?
What else is there to discuss?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Dubas painted himself into a bit of a corner with the whole "we can and we will sign" stuff. He should have just stuck with the tried and true "blah blah blah negotiations are on going blah blah blah" stance.

The reality is, it may end up being in the teams best interest to trade him and I'd hate for Dubas to be gun shy due to prior comments and not wanting to look bad.

Nylander loses the most from sitting out for a year, but the Leafs lose big time as well. At that point, a trade is pretty much guaranteed anyway, so the only smart move is to have a guaranteed trade lined up for November 30th and if he doesn't sign, salvage what you can and move on.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Anyway ,Dubas has made his pitch, Nylander has made his.
So how long before a decision is made?
What else is there to discuss?
Nothing 1 At least in relation to contract status. Speculate on which teams are best positioned to make a trade?

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I honestly believe at this point Nylander is not getting the proper advise and guidance in the matter. When I was younger I certainly made some poor decisions sometimes and that’s on me, but now that I have kids of my own, I realize I also could have received better guidance sometimes from family. This is a situation that reminds me of that. Nylander if he is not agreeable to a long term deal of his liking, should agree to a bridge and move on. No point him sitting out and ruining his reputation. You want to take a hard stance on a long term deal, fine sign a bridge to something lower like many others have and cash in later. This is where his parents can certainly be a guide in helping him make a good decision so he can focus on playing hockey in the NHL and show he is also considering his teammates who I’m sure would love him in the lineup. Unfortunate, hopefully this gets resolved by month end latest.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I'm okay with him sitting all year and make him beg to come back.

Then we does come back next summer, ship him to Carolina.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->