Speculation: Willy Nilly XX

Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
No player has signed an offer sheet in the last 5 years - Having one of your top RFAs offer-sheeted is a very upsetting experience for GMs. You have to choose between losing a star player in his prime or paying him more money than you’d like. The whole point of RFA status (like most of the CBA) is to facilitate teams holding onto their players for less than market value. Offer sheets ruin that for you

Pretty sure Lebrun shut down this possibility anyways... something about being divisible by 5... which makes Nylander not worth it. Didn't pay much attention to it... other than I understood that Lebrun said it wasn't much of a threat.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Except Willy has to sign a contract. If not all bets are off.

Dubas has said many silly things thus far...if Willy does not want to sign for what he is worth he will be shopped around the league and when we get an acceptable offer he will be traded. His promise is only IF Willy signs a deal at his value.

He Loses nothing if Willy fails to sign a contract at his value. In fact he gains a better reputation for sticking to his guns.

agree. The ball is in Nylander's court now.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
It was a fair criticism. Based on what you've written, I think it's very possible that you don't understand the difference between an rfa and ufa.

If you did understand the difference between an rfa and ufa, yet still wrote what you wrote... then... I... I really don't know what to say.
So in your mind Marner and Matthews should be signing for what 6 and 7 mil aav next summer, they will be RFA?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pastrnak hasn't outgrown his contract. 6.6 per year putting up those numbers is realistic for a restricted free agent. It's your ufa years where you can play the entire market against itself.

Rfa's make less than ufa's because they have far less bargaining power because 1 team owns their rights in the nhl. Let's also add that they aren't nearly as proven as ufa's, and teams don't entirely know what they have yet.

Every player coming off of their elc argues that they'll be far better in the near future (including Ehlers and Pastrnak). That has already been taken into consideration when determining their market value. So, again, none of this is unique to Nylander.

You seem to want to revamp the entire system and have rfa's paid the same as ufa's. Or, much more likely, you just don't really understand what you're talking about.

Let's also add that it sounds like the leafs are fine with offering a bridge deal to give Nylander another chance to prove that he's more than a (lol) 20 goal/60 point guy. It sounds like it's Nylanders camp that doesn't want a bridge.

Yup. This guy gets it

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Nothing much better than what Dubas is offering is coming Nylander's way, either from the Leafs or from any other team in the League by way of an offer sheet - if he hasn't realized this already he soon will

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
This argument isn't unique to Nylander. Players cannot have ntc's/nmc's until they have 7 years experience, or are 27. Are you suggesting that every team has to pay every single one of their young players inflated contracts in order to assure them they won't/can't be traded? You really don't think that sounds nuts?

Its not about inflated contracts. Its about asking them to take less to play on a contender then turning around and trading them somewhere else before the Cup is won.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can't understand how people don't understand that fact, it makes no sense for Nylander to sit this year and be in exactly the same situation next season

None

Even Trouba who wanted out of Winnipeg didn't sit an entire year

Unless there's a team that doesn't have the cap room now, but will have it a year from now. Quite the risk for him to take though, even if I don't think sitting affects his acquisition value much, positively or negatively. There's definitely a reason why a player hasn't missed a full season in some time now.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Its not about inflated contracts. Its about asking them to take less to play on a contender then turning around and trading them somewhere else before the Cup is won.

Leafs are not in the same situation as the Hawks were. Kane and Toews signed a 5 year deal each after their ELC; and they won 3 cups (one cup when they both were in their last year of their ELCs).

Leafs are in a much better scenario cap wise if they can get all the three amigos signed for 7 to 8 years; Leafs have cap room and cap would be going up.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He's not going to decide to sit out the year. He could get $6.5M right now. If he sits out a season, that's $6.5M he loses. Minus whatever he gets in Europe. To just break even, he'd have to get a $7.5M contract over 6 years next year, and he'll have made no progress on earning that.

He's not going to sit out a season. It's literally his worst option.

But the X factor may be Nylander's daddy..
He could be one of those guys determined to win, ( in his mind), no matter what the cost is to him or his family.
And believe me there are nutcases like that out there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

But the Leafs aren’t asking him to take less.

The Leafs are ‘reportedly’ asking him to take 6-6.5M which is the market value.

By the way it sounds, Nylander, and/or his camp, don’t give a crap about the Leafs being a contender or the market value. They want an 8M+ AAV because simply, they want as much $$$ as possible and a higher AAV in theory makes him harder to trade.

Heck, Kessel at 8M was hard to trade. PIT was the only suitor and we had to retain 1.2M. That’s the exact situation the Nylander camp wants themselves.

I’m not gonna make any guesses on how it ends, and as I’ve been called a ‘fanboy’ many times of Nylander, I desperately want it resolved with a good long-term deal.

That being said, based on what has come out regarding this Summit in Zurich, I am starting to think this doesn’t end the way I want it to.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You can find it funny if you want, just like I'm entitled to feel sorry for you and what you find funny

I don't care about you or what you think and if that stupidity makes you feel better have at it
You triggered?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So in your mind Marner and Matthews should be signing for what 6 and 7 mil aav next summer, they will be RFA?
Well that's just silly.

Rfa's are very different players who put up very different numbers during their elc years. All you do is look at those numbers and find other rfa comparables. Nylanders rfa comparibles are Ehlers and a little less than Pastrnak. Matthews and Marner remain to be seen, as they are on their final (and most important) year of their elc's. Depends on the numbers they put up. But they've already surpassed Nyalanders career highs at younger ages.

I mean... you do realize that everything I just wrote is common sense to anybody that even passively follows the nhl, right? Why are you so confused by all of these things?

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
this is great if you're trying to prove that you don't know what market values are. not so great otherwise

Im talking market value, you and the waffle guy are talking RFA and lack of negotiating power/position... stop quoting me because i know you have no fear about posting the ridiculous

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
You entirely ignored the second part of my post, which is equally important. You stated he should be happy with 6.5m and the chance to win the Cup on a contender (the Leafs). Do you know what a 6.5m contract makes William Nylander? An extremely tradeable asset if Dubas decides we need a Dman. Why should he take a "discount" to play for a contender, when that contender could then turn around and trade him to Arizona next week?

$6.5m AAV is around what he deserves, it isn't like Nylander is taking a pay cut at $6.5AAV. If we are actually talking about a discount then I 100% agree with Nylander

The reality is none of us knows what is going on. It is my opinion if Nylander doesn't sign by Monday he and his agent have made the decision to sit out the year and hope Dubas crawls back with a better offer before Dec1

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Taking less? Ehlers signed for 6x7 last year. Pastnrak (with MUCH better numbers) signed for 6.6x6 last year. Somewhere in between is reasonable in my opinion.

Reactions: Al14

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Im talking market value, you and the waffle guy are talking RFA and lack of negotiating power/position... stop quoting me because i know you have no fear about posting the ridiculous
you: Matthews should sign for 6/7 million
you: you post ridiculous things

lol, whatever you say. i'm just pointing out you don't really seem to understand the situation and why RFA contracts are almost always cheap

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Dubas is not shopping Nylander now nor will he ever - people just don't get it. To trade an RFA to a team willing to pay more than the Leafs would set a very dangerous precedent. The whole point of the RFA is to allow teams to hold onto their young players. Could you imagine the chaos if every RFA just decided he was going to sit out until he was traded to a team that would pay what he thought he was worth?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
When I heard that Dubas was meeting with William, I imagined Michael Nylander wearing a blonde wig posing as William, at the rendezvous spot. With William finding out about the meeting on social media.

Anyone else?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
When I heard that Dubas was meeting with William, I imagined Michael Nylander wearing a blonde wig posing as William, at the rendezvous spot. With William finding out about the meeting on social media.

Anyone else?
I imagined Lil Tay wearing a Nylander mask

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Well that's just silly.

Rfa's are very different players who put up very different numbers during their elc years. All you do is look at those numbers and find other rfa comparables. Nylanders rfa comparibles are Ehlers and a little less than Pastrnak. Matthews and Marner remain to be seen, as they are on their final (and most important) year of their elc's. Depends on the numbers they put up. But they've already surpassed Nyalanders career highs at younger ages.

I mean... you do realize that everything I just wrote is common sense to anybody that even passively follows the nhl, right? Why are you so confused by all of these things?

So RFA are not "limited" like i have said...

I'm done with you on this, you're all over the place, back tracking, etc...

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Let's see where they net out at the end of the season. Will they continue their pace or simmer down over the course of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad