Willy... Looks Bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Marner finish the last half season last year
at over 96pt pace and had continued it into the playoffs and this year. Careers ppg game is a huge separation.71 to .92.

The gap continues to expand.

Who was better has always been Marner with out context it was close in Mitches Rookie season playing with inferior linemates using context is was a wide gap. Now the gap is so huge that is laughable that you still insist he was better it is better when that simply was not true.

Chereypicked stats, as usual.

There is a gap today, but it's as much due to Nylander not playing/playing with Kadri as it has to do with Marner playing out of his mind.

As much as people rag on them, Bozak and JVR were good/very good offensive players. Marner playing in a heavily sheltered role with them was a great situation. Your context argument had very little traction because although Nylander had the better linemate, he also had far tougher comp/zone starts. Balances out.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I like Nylander a lot, but he’s not on Marner’s level - nor has he ever been. And I doubt he ever will.
Naw they were even as rookies and pretty close last year with both being 1st liners with room left. Marner this year has emerged as a franchise talent and a borderline top 10 player in the league(needs to maintain this play for a season and half and he is firmly in top 10). Nylander decided to sit put , miss camp, and in his time back has not produced while failing to capitalize on his chances. His numbers are bad right now offensively but he has had some moments where he has looked like himself and made great plays. He still needs to take it up a gear as patience will be lower with him since he is in his d+5 season and we are seeing guys who nylander was compared to(drai, reinhart, larkins, ehlers, rantanen, pasta, etc) all playing great to insane hockey and really moving past him in terms of young players across the league. This season I expect nylander to get underrated. He will have a decent season but the numbers wont be where they can. I expect he has a good playoffs and continues his play into next season where he emerges to ha e a marner like impact for this team. He can still be pur 3rd best player long term after matthews and marner.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
"Manipulate numbers" lmao.

Marner is the best, better than the best, how can people not see it. I'd take him on my team over God. SAD!
sorry it makes you sad that Marner is better then Willy. You need to take a step back as you are calling people bias based on Mitch being born in Canada. You lack perspective and maybe should stick to posting in international threads only cheering for your country mate. This is the Leafs board were all players are Leafs and not Swedish, Russian etc.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Chereypicked stats, as usual.

There is a gap today, but it's as much due to Nylander not playing/playing with Kadri as it has to do with Marner playing out of his mind.

As much as people rag on them, Bozak and JVR were good/very good offensive players. Marner playing in a heavily sheltered role with them was a great situation. Your context argument had very little traction because although Nylander had the better linemate, he also had far tougher comp/zone starts. Balances out.
Last half of the season when Mitch went on to produce at a 95 pts pace this year as well is facing the best comp and killing them. Context is your friend always not only when it suits you.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
When people around the league, y'know folks like scouts, coaches, GM's and the media start the chatter about Mitch being a top 10 guy in the league then ya sort of got to say to yourself maybe they might know a little something that the fans don't. That conversation has never been made nor started about Willie Ny, even when he was producing on Matty's wing

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
sorry it makes you sad that Marner is better then Willy. You need to take a step back as you are calling people bias based on Mitch being born in Canada. You lack perspective and maybe should stick to posting in international threads only cheering for your country mate. This is the Leafs board were all players are Leafs and not Swedish, Russian etc.

Its not so much born in Canada, because Nylander was too lmao, as was I.

The bias is created due to Mitch always skating his hardest with Willy playing a cerebral game that looks lazy to the guys that would rather see blue collar players over skill.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Its not so much born in Canada, because Nylander was too lmao, as was I.

The bias is created due to Mitch always skating his hardest with Willy playing a cerebral game that looks lazy to the guys that would rather see blue collar players over skill.
Willy plays afraid and that is it! Skill is Marner still as is will.

Reactions: Al14

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Last half of the season when Mitch went on to produce at a 95 pts pace this year as well is facing the best comp and killing them. Context is your friend always not only when it suits you.

You're cherrypicking.

Nylander was comsistantly good last year, even with Matty out. Marner was trash until December, and bounced back. Other than overall points, and powerplay Nylander was the better player based on GAR/WAR, advanced stats, line driving, shot attempts (both himself and shot assists), and zone entries/exits.

Marner was better on the PP.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I've just replied to basically your message 100 times in the past year. Type in Nylander/Marner into the search bar with my name and read any of those posts to find my answer.

Lol, if you look at their whole careers prior to THIS SEASON Nylander has been the better hockey player. That's not cherrypicking. What's cherrypicking is talking about a 30 game sample size instead of a full season(s).

Yes, he's a year younger. The argument isn't who is going to be better, the argument is "who was better".

Yea, and there is an argument that Nylander had Matthews. Now Marner gets JT and look what's happening, at the same age Nylander was last year.

Nylander was the better hockey player in the first half, Marner had better stats in about everything the second half. Then went on to a good playoffs.
Again, you can look to Careers, but Mitch is the same age Nylander was last year. He is out producing him by a wide margin, with the same goalie equipment.
And if you want to compare full careers, Games played is a very close stat.
Marner 195GP 53G 127A 180P He is already near PPG for his career.
Nylander 193GP 48G 89A 137P

Marner has played 2 more games than Nylander and has 43 more points, even more goals.
All while being a year younger, and not having Matthews for 85% of his career.
Argue that.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
The last 2 years Nylander has been comparable to Marner....both terrific young talents..
But Nylander was a year older and more developed..
Now Marner, bigger and stronger, has reached a new level.........
Nylander will be back to form and will emerge again as a great young player and it is no disrespect to him to suggest that he is not as good as one of the premier players in the entire league.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Its not exactly fair saying they're "not comparable" seeing how Nylander was better last year, and hasn't had the chance to prove himself this year.
69 points vs 61 playing with significantly lower QoT is not playing worse. Marner suffered a slump after which he put up elite numbers which he has continue up to today. Willy is a year older so it made perfect sense he would be ahead of Marner. He has never had a year where he has outperformed him in points. There is no credible hockey person that thought Marner would get an equal contract to Willy even at the end of last year

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
You're cherrypicking.

Nylander was comsistantly good last year, even with Matty out. Marner was trash until December, and bounced back. Other than overall points, and powerplay Nylander was the better player based on GAR/WAR, advanced stats, line driving, shot attempts (both himself and shot assists), and zone entries/exits.

Bs when Mathews was out he produced at the same rate as Hyman did. At .48 ppg. He depends on his line mates to create offensive Marner creates offensive for his line mates.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
You're cherrypicking.

He wasn't good when Matty was out.

Reactions: mrbagina

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Yea, and there is an argument that Nylander had Matthews. Now Marner gets JT and look what's happening, at the same age Nylander was last year.

Nylander was the better hockey player in the first half, Marner had better stats in about everything the second half. Then went on to a good playoffs.
Again, you can look to Careers, but Mitch is the same age Nylander was last year. He is out producing him by a wide margin, with the same goalie equipment.

Marner has played 2 more games than Nylander and has 43 more points, even more goals.
Argue that.
Quoted for truth.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Argue that.

We do realize that Tavares is a line driver with a long history of making his linemates much much better, but as usual Mitch gets all the credit.

Career PPG including this season has no effect on who was better prior to this year.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Bs when Mathews was out he produced at the same rate as Hyman did. At .48 ppg. He depends on his line mates to create offensive Marner creates offensive for his line mates.

Nylander literally created MORE offense for his linemates last season LOL. Someone literally counted their shot attempts + shot assists. Its not his fault they didn't go in.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
We do realize that Tavares is a line driver with a long history of making his linemates much much better, but as usual Mitch gets all the credit.

Career PPG including this season has no effect on who was better prior to this year.

Just to refresh my memory, is this a thread about who was better last year?

Or is it about whether or not Willy's looked bad since returning? This year.

Regardless, those career PPG numbers surprised me. I didn't realize they were so close in number of games played.

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
how old was Mats, how was his hip?

big difference and an disingenuous comparison
I'm not directly relating them. It was the only player mentioned who joined late into a season.

But I'd also argue that Nylander won't become Mats either.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Just to refresh my memory, is this a thread about who was better last year?

Or is it about whether or not Willy's looked bad since returning? This year.

Regardless, those career PPG numbers surprised me. I didn't realize they were so close in number of games played.

Nylander played 20 games as a 19 year old, and Mitch missed 15~ with that injury in his rookie year. Managed to even out with the 25~ games he missed this year.

Thread is about this year, but it's been derailed by people chirping him and constantly quoting me with "no he wasn't".

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Plz stop quoting me. Im done playing "no he wasn't" "yes he was".

I'm gonna ignore everything and do something productive with the rest of my day.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

He still had a much higher PPG without this year included.
Nobody is bashing Tavares. I'm very happy Marner has a real Center of high caliber.
Marner also has a history of making his line mates better, as they achieve career highs.
Making linemates better + making linemates better = career year for both. Makes sense.
Matthews is better than Tavares, so I guess by your own standing, Willy had a massive advantage for about 140 of his total games Vs Marners 37 with JT. Still got out produced.
I don't even want to be a part of this. I'm 100% pro Willy and never put the guy down. Ever, but the nonsense is reaching epic levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad