News Article: Willie O'Ree Elected to the Hockey Hall Of Fame

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Interesting that they've elected an active commissioner. I suppose that's for surviving for 25 years!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Willie O'Ree should have been in a while ago. I wonder if Wayne Simmonds' excellent article on him in The Player's Tribune shed light on O'Ree and his importance to the game?

The Astronaut | By Wayne Simmonds
Thanks for the link. Great read by a great player.

Congrats to Willie for entering with greats such as St. Louis and Brodeur, but he should have been in the HOF earlier. I don't like seeing an active commissioner being put in one bit. For every argument that Bettman has been a great commish there is an equally valid argument that he has not been so good, so I won't go there. I just think he should have been made to wait until he retires before being inducted.

Reactions: Aeroforce and BMC

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I hope there's no circus at the induction ceremony. I'm afraid there will still be boo-bird idiots. I don't agree that Bettman should be inducted, especially not while he is the active commissioner, but all the inductees deserve a decent ceremony.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2018-6-26_19-22-8.png

Reactions: BMC

DaveFromNB

Sep 6, 2008
Quispamsis, NB
Cripes, was driving past Willie O'Ree Place in Fredericton today thinking of taking a picture of it to post here. Get home and see he's being inducted. Weird or what. Anyway, next time in Fredericton I'll be sure to take and post a snap.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This made me burst out laughing

Down Goes Brown: The top secret schedule for Monday's Hall...

8:40 pm – Scheduled start time for Willie O’Ree’s induction speech. (Note: This is only a loose guideline; we’re sure nobody will mind if we end up being a few minutes and/or decades late.)

8:45 pm – Somebody has to inform a disappointed Matt Beleskey that this is a special case, and that scoring fifteen career points for the Boston Bruins won’t generally get you into the Hall of Fame.

8:50 pm – Brief announcement that while yes, O’Ree’s induction was an emotional moment for everyone associated with the Bruins, several minutes of Brad Marchand rolling around on the floor clutching his face might be overdoing it.

8:55 pm – Special guest presentation in advance of the final induction: “Um, guys, are we absolutely sure this is a good idea?” by Gil Stein.

9:00 pm – The evening’s final inductee, commissioner Gary Bettman, is introduced and takes the stage.

9:01 pm – Pause for booing.

9:02 pm – More booing.

9:03 pm – Booing intensifies.

9:04 pm – Bettman makes his always-hilarious “It’s great to see such passionate fans” joke.

9:05 pm – Pause for anticipated laughter.

9:06 pm – More booing.
[Note to security: Now would be a good time ensure that any players who’ve left to use the washroom or get some fresh air have successfully re-entered the auditorium; when Bettman is around, they have a tendency to get locked out for no reason.]

9:10 pm – Bettman begins his speech by emotionally recounting all the legendary players he grew up watching, idolizing and hoping against hope to someday join in the Hall of Fame.

9:11 pm – Bill Daly subtly whispers from offstage that while all this basketball talk is nice, he might eventually want to get around to mentioning hockey too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00