Injury Report: Willie Mitchell Had Knee Surgery

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago
last night during the televised practice someone (i think it was DL) said for now the pairing will be AMart - VV. the only two people they spoke with was DL and Luc that would have any comment about it. they interviewed Kopi, but he wouldn't say anything about the D pairings at this point. not his place, other than the usual cliches of "we're a team and we function as a team".

so from last night it would be
Scuds-DD
AMart - VV
Greener - ?

the 6th spot is going to be Whiskey, Bodnarchuk or Muzzin

Thrice

To Be Everywhere...
Sep 27, 2007
last night during the televised practice someone (i think it was DL) said for now the pairing will be AMart - VV. the only two people they spoke with was DL and Luc that would have any comment about it. they interviewed Kopi, but he wouldn't say anything about the D pairings at this point. not his place, other than the usual cliches of "we're a team and we function as a team".

Scuds-DD
AMart - VV
Greener - ?

Nice promotion for Martinez.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
So what's the story? It sounds like this is some heavily guarded secret. Did they say when and how the injury took place? What part of the knee was damaged other than to say it's non ACL/MCL?

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
So what's the story? It sounds like this is some heavily guarded secret. Did they say when and how the injury took place? What part of the knee was damaged other than to say it's non ACL/MCL?

He injured his knee a couple of months back, I believe from a hunting/fishing trip. Surgery was to remove cartilage. He was suppose to be close to coming back for the start of the season, but apparently has had a 'set back' and is now week-to-week.

KingKopitar11*

Scuds-DD
AMart - VV
Greener - ?

DD44 sucks. Muzzin is okay, but I really want to see Bodnarchuk play

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We have a lot of nice, quality young players who we don't have room or role for on the big club. It's to the point now where we are like what Detroit was before when we signed Quincey off waivers from them.

Perhaps we could trade a bunch to a team with a lot of holes like Columbus and solve this problem once and for all on our defense. In the future, our top 4 has maybe two guaranteed spots filled - DD and VV. Maybe we can make a 3 or 4 for 1 deal for Ryan Murray?

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
We have a lot of nice, quality young players who we don't have room or role for on the big club. It's to the point now where we are like what Detroit was before when we signed Quincey off waivers from them.

Perhaps we could trade a bunch to a team with a lot of holes like Columbus and solve this problem once and for all on our defense. In the future, our top 4 has maybe two guaranteed spots filled - DD and VV. Maybe we can make a 3 or 4 for 1 deal for Ryan Murray?

lol that's not going to happen. Unless it's something like Toffoli+ Voynov+Bernier+Loktionov+Forbort for Murray+Mason, it's not going to happen....even THAT is not enough.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
lol that's not going to happen. Unless it's something like Toffoli+ Voynov+Bernier+Loktionov+Forbort for Murray+Mason, it's not going to happen....even THAT is not enough.

Just because the guy was drafted 2nd overall one year, doesn't make him a franchise player. If you look at Voynov, he was drafted very early 2nd round in 2008 where there were like 15 defensemen chosen and the only reason he fell even that low was because he was Russian. If he was American or Canadian and lets say Ryan Murray was in that same draft, it's very possible Voynov is picked ahead of Murray.

Murray may become a future Willie Mitchell. He's not a future Pietrangelo.

Last edited:

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
Just because the guy was :help:drafted 2nd overall one year, doesn't make him a franchise player. If you look at Voynov, he was drafted very early 2nd round in 2008 where there were like 15 defensemen chosen and the only reason he fell even that low was because he was Russian. If he was American or Canadian and lets say Ryan Murray was in that same draft, it's very possible Voynov is picked ahead of Murray.

No, it doesn't, but he is highly touted to be their future number 1 dman. You don't draft someone that high and trade him away without a massive overpayment.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
Just because the guy was drafted 2nd overall one year, doesn't make him a franchise player. If you look at Voynov, he was drafted very early 2nd round in 2008 where there were like 15 defensemen chosen and the only reason he fell even that low was because he was Russian. If he was American or Canadian and lets say Ryan Murray was in that same draft, it's very possible Voynov is picked ahead of Murray.

Take a time machine back to when we drafted Doughty and have someone offer 3 prospects and watch that reaction.

Sheesh man, let them have the prospect they failed so miserably for.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
No, it doesn't, but he is highly touted to be their future number 1 dman. You don't draft someone that high and trade him away without a massive overpayment.

I agree. And I would call a "massive" overpayment to be 1.5 to 2x value. The package you said wasn't enough is almost quadruple value.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Take a time machine back to when we drafted Doughty and have someone offer 3 prospects and watch that reaction.

Sheesh man, let them have the prospect they failed so miserably for.

The two situations are nothing like each other. Doughty was worth way more than Murray on his draft day and the Kings were desperate for defensemen while having a pool of nice young players on forwards and goaltending. Right now Columbus has a decent D corps and has a lot of holes everywhere else.

Who knows...Howson might accept a many for one deal if it is an overpayment, depending on how the Jackets do this year. The guy we would be targeting is not a consensus franchise player, you know.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
The two situations are nothing like each other. Doughty was worth way more than Murray on his draft day and the Kings were desperate for defensemen while having a pool of nice young players on forwards and goaltending. Right now Columbus has a decent D corps and has a lot of holes everywhere else.

Who knows...Howson might accept a many for one deal if it is an overpayment, depending on how the Jackets do this year. The guy we would be targeting is not a consensus franchise player, you know.

He was? I remember a bunch of posters valuing Bogosian over Doughty. I'm not trolling on this post, can others confirm on the Doughty value being so much more high?

I still can't see Howson selling off a guy who was taken at second overall this fast...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada

Voynov would not be drafted above Ryan Murray. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's beyond reaching.

No kidding. Rather you lose them on waivers, ala Thomas Hickey :sarcasm:

He was? I remember a bunch of posters valuing Bogosian over Doughty. I'm not trolling on this post, can others confirm on the Doughty value being so much more high?

I still can't see Howson selling off a guy who was taken at second overall this fast...

I was one who wanted Bognosian over Doughty. I'm glad DL didn't take my offer to consult :)

On draft day it was Stamkos as #1, and then it was mostly a coin flip between Drew, Bognosian and Pieterangelo for #2 according to many draft experts.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles

I'm not sure what you're saying here. Bogosian was worth more than Murray too.

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
I'm not sure what you're saying here. Bogosian was worth more than Murray too.

Is that way you recently made that thread over in the prospects area asking everyone how Murray compares?

My point is this, Columbus is not going to trade an A prospect for 3 B prospects. If Howson does, I'll eat my hat. I'll even eat my shoe if he goes to us for Loki/Bernier/1st. But I am not seeing this happen.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
UPDATE Jan 18th : http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/01/18/kings-report-–-jan-18/

WILLIE MITCHELL SKATES

For the first time since the Kings’ shortened camp opened, Willie Mitchell was able skate, spending about a half-hour alone on the ice after practice. Mitchell said he felt no pain in his surgically repaired knee, but said he was merely taking “baby steps.” He downplayed his injury, calling it a “wear and tear thing,” and said his surgery was nothing major. “They just went in and cleaned it up. Not a big procedure. A lot of guys have this all the time. No ligaments, no nothing like that.” Mitchell declined to assess his health on a percentage basis. “I can’t say that,” he said. “I just twirled around.”

While speaking to the media for the first time this year, Mitchell said winning the Stanley Cup has left him hungry for more.

“I get it now, why guys want to repeat so bad,” he said. “You get a taste of that, a taste of what it all feels like, a taste of what your summer feel like and I absolutely get why guys want to do it so bad again.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->