Willie Desjardins out in L.A

Rometiklan

Mar 7, 2009
I don't think you give enough credit to Marc Crawford for how terrible a coach he is. It was Rommel vs Patton. A tremendous duel. Ottawa were actually trying to win to save face and still couldn't.

Crawford versus Desjardins. Canuck and Kings fans have had the misfortune of having both these guys behind the bench. No idea how Crawford keeps getting jobs after that whole Bertuzzi-Moore fiasco. He must have a helluva PR agent. As for Desjardins, he was just terrible. Too old-school and set in his ways. The guy needed a program to remember the names of his young players. Kings knew the season was a write off so they went with someone who can get them a higher draft pick.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
He was the worst coach I've ever seen behind LA's bench and we've had some stupid ones... I guess we will see what Todd McLellan will do with the roster...

Reactions: ibleedkings

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Big win for the Kings!

Was there anyone who actually thought WD was a good coach and that Kovalchuk was the problem?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It was a fine move. Desjardins actively hurts the team he coaches and hence is likely a bigger problem than a rookie coach might be, who for all we know could be the next great coach. Desjardins was a surefire, awful coach that helped Kings secure the second-worst draft odds, the best that was available.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At least they saved another organization from ever hiring him again. Awful.
I wouldn't be so sure.

He may be a hot commodity in future seasons, for a team that's season is already lost, who want to make a mid-season coaching change and get to be bad enough that the wheels fall off.

He might end up being the new Peter Horachek. Look for him to be a mid-season hire in the next few years (or sooner) for a team looking to just completely bottom out after their season is lost anyway.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think he's a good coach, but he won't be getting another chance for a very long time. Probably one or two more AHL/CHL stints before he gets another chance.

I think LA goes with Bylsma or an unexpected pick.

EDIT: Read Todd McLellan might speak with them so I think it's possible.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Crawford versus Desjardins. Canuck and Kings fans have had the misfortune of having both these guys behind the bench. No idea how Crawford keeps getting jobs after that whole Bertuzzi-Moore fiasco. He must have a helluva PR agent. As for Desjardins, he was just terrible. Too old-school and set in his ways. The guy needed a program to remember the names of his young players. Kings knew the season was a write off so they went with someone who can get them a higher draft pick.

He was seen as having an impact on Matthews development so that bought him some favour around the league.

Yea, I don't agree with it/believe either. As if an elite prospect like Matthews wouldn't of been that good under some other coach.

Reactions: Bleedred

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Thank god.

I sear, one more interview where all he can talk about is how happy he was to lose and I was in danger of clawing out my own eyes.

I'm not entirely sure how that would help, given that interviews are an audio experience, but all the same, I'm grateful for the chance to keep my eyeballs intact.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Yea, I don't agree with it/believe either. As if an elite prospect like Matthews wouldn't of been that good under some other coach.
Agree with this completely. I hate when a coach gets credit for an elite prospect. People have used Patrick Kane as an indicator that John Hynes isn't bad. As if Patrick Kane wouldn't have been Patrick Kane if someone that wasn't John Hynes coached him as a teenager.

Crawford has been worthless for close to 20 years now. I remember when he was a young hotshot coach with the Nordiques/Avs in the 90's, but even then, they had Roy, Sakic and Forsberg and a bunch of other pretty good players. They were still going on conference final runs and won a cup with Hartley after that and Hartley wasn't any good.

Reactions: Voight

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
In a span of 2 years, the Kings have gone through 3 different coaches, and are about to get their 4th. Incredible that some King's fans are still blaming coaching after how awful their star players (Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick) have been since the start of the season. Can't blame Willie D. for that.

I can't believe they are actually thinking of McLellen.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The Tank Commander has left the building. Only Eugene's Sens managed to get better lottery odds for the Avs(and that's so Ottawa).

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
In a span of 2 years, the Kings have gone through 3 different coaches, and are about to get their 4th. Incredible that some King's fans are still blaming coaching after how awful their star players (Kopitar, Doughty, Carter, Quick) have been since the start of the season. Can't blame Willie D. for that.

Nobody is saying the players are off the hook, but coaching wasn't a real issue until Willie D was hired. Sutter hit his expiration date and player intensity dropped with Stevens, but Stevens wasn't much of a problem. He wasn't the best pick for the job but he was a decent coach. Willie D is just embarrassingly awful. He took the focus away from the players and onto coaching single-handedly. Now the focus is solely on the players no matter who they bring in.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

- I haven't seen any Kings fans blame the coaches for anything. The Kings were garbage all year under multiple coaches, that's on the players. It doesn't change the fact that Willie D is an awful coach to boot.
- We can't believe they're thinking of MacLellen either

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad