Willie Desjardins out in L.A

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
How was this guy so successful at other levels?
He was somehow given the reigns for Canada's World Junior squad a few years back and put all his eggs in the Patrice Cormier basket. Undisciplined, one of the worst performances by a Canadian team I can recall even though they had enough talent to still get silver anyway.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He was somehow given the reigns for Canada's World Junior squad a few years back and put all his eggs in the Patrice Cormier basket. Undisciplined, one of the worst performances by a Canadian team I can recall even though they had enough talent to still get silver anyway.
I remember when he kept elbowing people in the head away from the play for no reason.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I barely stomached 3/4 of a season with him.

Major respect to Vancouver fans tolerating him as long as they did.

- Over-reliance on the vets (especially Kopitar and Doughty)
- Admitting he's playing a player to his weakness
- Playing some of the top young players less than 10 minutes/night
- refusing to play a young defenseman unless one of the top 6 gets injured, because rotating one of them out for a game would kill confidence... but then rotates out a young Russian forward in favor of a different non-Russian forward because there needs to be a rotation.
- Finally admitting it is time to rotate the bottom spot amongst 3 defenseman, then only doing it once
While a likeable guy,I found his decisions infuriating...and just plain old 'stubborn'...Phantom benching the young players..Also,there seems to be a distant pattern of him not being able to communicate with Russian players (Kovalchuk,and Tryamkin who loathed him).

The best one of all was when they introduced 3x3 OT...He put 2 D-men out there, and was trying to "defend" in OT (until he finally figured out to put his best offensive skaters out there).

JiffyPB

Oct 11, 2018
He was such a good tank commander his nickname should have been Monty.
bernard-montgomery-large-56a61b685f9b58b7d0dff27b.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I, for one, was not impressed with his performance. For a supposed tank commander, he inherited dead last and managed to squander it, conceding it to Ottawa in the final weeks of the season. He had one job and he couldn't even do that. He could've been worse and that's on him.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I, for one, was not impressed with his performance. For a supposed tank commander, he inherited dead last and managed to squander it, conceding it to Ottawa in the final weeks of the season. He had one job and he couldn't even do that. He could've been worse and that's on him.
I don't think you give enough credit to Marc Crawford for how terrible a coach he is. It was Rommel vs Patton. A tremendous duel. Ottawa were actually trying to win to save face and still couldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad