Confirmed with Link: Williams the new captain

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I don’t see how this is “barely” any better then co-captains. Your given a C to a guy that has been apart of multiple winning clubs, Stanley cup multiple times, consmyth. Been around for almost two decades and is well respected and by all accounts and reports was the de facto leader in all but letter last season on a team of still very young guys where most have not sniffed the jock strap of success, minus Staal and the Chicago boys. This was really the only choice when it came to Captain. Alternates could be debated. Who bloody fricking cares if that have to choose a new one next year. Gives the future Captain more time to mature and hopefully get some winning under their belt, It’s not like I was crying myself to sleep in misery all summer because the Canes hadn’t announced a captain.

Amen. We've had two years without a real Captain. Williams is a guy who can handle it, and will do a great job. Who gives a shit that he's old- if he can serve as a bridge while a young guy develops his leadership skills, so much the better. I was pushing for them to give it to Hainsey two years ago for that reason. Don't name nobody, name a guy who's gonna be a leader in the room even if it's not long term.

Actually, given that Rod was around then, I'd be interesting to ask him about that situation too. Everyone's been asking him about the co-captain thing, but I wonder what his thoughts were on the no captain year.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is all about rehabbing his psyche IMO. Keep him in a de facto leadership role while taking some of the pressure off. Let him use his performance to speak out.

Well, one can dream...

I would have already traded him this summer& can't see him as a longterm Canes player, doesn't make sense, and I would prefer stability to this roster moving forward.

Give letters to guys who will be with the team longterm+ Williams.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I would have already traded him this summer& can't see him as a longterm Canes player, doesn't make sense, and I would prefer stability to this roster moving forward.

Give letters to guys who will be with the team longterm+ Williams.

Canes are all about transitioning right now. Waddell (and his team) is a placeholder GM. Williams is a placeholder Captain - which is just semantics because he was the in-room leadership last year anyway. Darling/Mrazek are a placeholder bandaid in net.

This Captain decision is just the path of least resistance for RBA - who now has a good friend as his team’s captain to push his own message. Wasn’t about picking the best guy for the future of the franchise. I’d guess RBA and Williams think they need to teach these guys to jog for a year or two before they start running. All part of transitioning. The key there is to actual get somewhere before you decide to start transitioning in a new-new direction.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Aho was named Captain next year after a good season. I wouldn’t be surprised if Williams was traded at the deadline to a contender.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Good move.

I don't like this choice. Better than the co-captaincy last year, but barely. So we either have a new captain next year or we sign JWill to a contract we shouldn't really give a guy his age with his skating on the decline already.

They should have just extended Aho and given him the C.

I don't think Aho is ready for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I think who wears the C is pretty unimportant. The only way it has any effect is if a player feels slighted or the guy named can’t handle the pressure. And that really only effects one or two players on the team at most.

UNLESS you do something catosrtophically stupid like having co-captains who didn’t even like the idea to begin with. And the fact that they didn’t tell Peters and/or Francis that they thought it was a dumb f***ing idea is why they weren’t solo captain material to begin with.

Jordan Staal is the forward version of Glen Wesley. Great example of the “play like that” alternate captain. Comes to work everyday, takes on the toughest matchups, does all the things asked of him. Terrific. But not a captain, by his own admission really. He accepted the co-captain thing because he’s a company man and doing what the coaches ask is his deal.

Faulk I don’t get though. That’s not really his MO so I’m assuming it was more of a lack of giving a shit one way or the other. You want me to be a co-captain? Whatever. Much like his play last year. I would’ve shifted the A to Slavin as the leader of the defense but this may be a situation where they want to assure him that Hamilton isn’t here to take his job.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I believe there's a lot of undeserved (and ignorant, to be blunt) shade that gets thrown Faulk's way in respect to his leadership on the team. None of us know shit about his position among his peers, and furthermore, how the organization views him. In listening to two interviews with him from day 1 of camp, he spoke of two topics (the co-captaincy and the likelihood of him being traded) that, to me, are illuminating in terms of his wisdom in respect to having been placed in difficult situations by the organization. It furthers my respect for his ability to handle adversity in a healthy manner, which is a trait of a leader.

Say he should never have been named (co)captain and I won't bother to disagree, but to say he doesn't care, or that he isn't a good soldier, or that he has no business in a leadership role is garbage.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I believe there's a lot of undeserved (and ignorant, to be blunt) shade that gets thrown Faulk's way in respect to his leadership on the team. None of us know **** about his position among his peers, and furthermore, how the organization views him. In listening to two interviews with him from day 1 of camp, he spoke of two topics (the co-captaincy and the likelihood of him being traded) that, to me, are illuminating in terms of his wisdom in respect to having been placed in difficult situations by the organization. It furthers my respect for his ability to handle adversity in a healthy manner, which is a trait of a leader.

Say he should never have been named (co)captain and I won't bother to disagree, but to say he doesn't care, or that he isn't a good soldier, or that he has no business in a leadership role is garbage.

I don’t see how “shading” Faulk’s leadership ability is any/more less ignorant than shading Eric Staal’s leadership ability which 95% of the board spent 5 years doing.

And wanting Slavin to be an A has more to do with my hope that he’s the next captain and the leader of the defensive unit because he’s the best player and is the most well known guy that is all over the place in the community. And should be for the next 8 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad