Confirmed with Link: Williams is Back

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Feb 22, 2019
D.C.
Rocking this tee to my workout today.

5789B1F1-8C29-49FB-8014-1576FEA0A181.jpeg

Dad’s back y’all!

I have no idea how this will work out but I’m just gonna enjoy his return for a min. :)

hacknwack

Apr 6, 2019
I think it's big to get Willy back. I can understand to a degree the apprehension of it by some fans. Ultimately, we're a fringe playoff team as of right now. We need a guy who can come in and coach these players on the ice. Lately, we've been taking dumb penalties. The insertions of Williams instantaneously makes us more disciplined on the ice. I don't think we're going to see the reactionary penalties. Also I think the communication on the ice just got stepped up. Personally I'm not too worried about McGinn sitting or not. We need Willy on the team if we're going to make some noise in the playoffs. No disrespect to Brock.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Williams is more likely to exacerbate the discipline issue than resolve it. Reminder, he committed just as many minor penalties as Hamilton last season (Link). This go around, he'll probably be more prone to using his stick as he finds his skating legs.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
While those were some dumb penalties he took, that series was some of the most lopsided officiating I've ever seen, especially the first couple of games. I fully understood his frustration.

And now he's probably not going to wear a letter, and with comatose Staal wearing the C we can rest assured our captain won't be taking stupid penalties in the playoffs.

Reactions: cptjeff

ChuckW

Keep the Hurricanes great!
May 15, 2009
Parts unknown
Regardless where he ends up in the lineup I'm most excited about the leadership, and constructive criticism he'll bring to this group. Rod's only one guy. Williams is an extension of him with even more important game experience. I would love to see him behind the bench with Rod some day. So many intangibles outside of his on-ice production. Staal's probably not out there telling them what they need to hear. Maybe, but I have my doubts.

Great post, I agree 100%. Williams might end up being the missing piece here. Don't underestimate his impact. If we were adding a free agent at the deadline who had 20+ goals and 50+ points last season, this board would be going nuts. But because it's Williams the response has been muted? I think a lot of you are going to be pleasantly surprised at the way this turns out.

I am also going out on a limb and saying that other players' production is going to increase with JW in the lineup. He's a guy who makes those around him better, and that effect can't be undervalued.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
While those were some dumb penalties he took, that series was some of the most lopsided officiating I've ever seen, especially the first couple of games. I fully understood his frustration.

And now he's probably not going to wear a letter, and with comatose Staal wearing the C we can rest assured our captain won't be taking stupid penalties in the playoffs.
I agree there were some lopside moments (including the lead up to that play), and I get frustration, but retaliating like that certainly won't help the lopsided nature. I mostly took the opportunity to post a pretty funny moment in spite of our frustration. But yeah, like the data shows, he may not really help the penalty situation from his own play standpoint. I'm still very happy he's back.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If not for those decrepit antiques Jordan, Justin, and James Reimer, I'd be older than every member of the Canes.

I'm very young still (I'll only be 29 on Valentine's Day), yet you could say the same thing about me except the addition of Jake Gardiner. This is a VERY young team. Even our "grizzled veteran", heart-and-soul guy, Jordan Martinook, is only 27.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
An awkward but intriguing possibility would be to trade J Willy (a free asset!) at the trade deadline for some valuable assets for a Cup run and beyond. Does he have a no movement clause?

Reactions: geehaad

Rad ChaLose

Aug 3, 2012
An awkward but intriguing possibility would be to trade J Willy (a free asset!) at the trade deadline for some valuable assets for a Cup run and beyond. Does he have a no movement clause?

That will absolutely, 100%, not happen. He's Brindy's guy, he's Dundon's guy - as much as anyone can possibly be. Honestly don't know about Waddell but I can't see him pushing for it. If it does I will never post about hockey in any online forum for the rest of my life.

Reactions: ChuckW

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Y'all better get used to being older than professional athletes. If you're lucky, you'll spend 2/3 of your life that way.

It's actually better once you get past that first one. Especially when you are the same age or slightly older than the guy who is being called "old".

Nothing quite like having someone you went to college with described as a "grizzled veteran" and "old man".

Then you're OK until you reach the stage where you could have had a child as a married couple who would now be draft eligible. That one was jarring.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They just signed him yesterday and had a press conference with both the owner and GM sitting at the table. Yeah, he's on the block...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->