Confirmed with Link: Williams is Back

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Maybe I heard wrong but didn’t DW say that we could take on a contract of between 5-6m?
Yeah, he said we could go up to 6 million, but that that would shift all of the bonuses to next year and that he would prefer to keep them on this year's cap, and he also mentioned that there still has to be room left for callups. He also said that if it's the right player that helps them win, they'd consider it.

Reactions: hblueridgegal

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Simple. Get a high demand skill that very few have, work hard to Hone that skill and excel in your field with said skill, reach the absolute top in your field 3 times, become independently wealthy, and find a company that wants you and is willing to give you such a bonus.

Step 1. Be attractive
Step 2. Don't be unattractive

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Willy on 99.9 saying he doesn't have a date for his first game back and that tomorrow is his first practice. He said the nice thing about the team situation right now is that he doesn't have to rush.

He's been to 4 games now this year but watched some on TV. Just said "there are some things I liked watching (about this year's team) and there were some things he didn't like watching". Glad he is coming in with some pointers ready.

He said signing during a Storm Surge was never going to happen and he didn't want that spotlight

Reactions: cptjeff and zman77

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Rumor is, this was supposed to happen on the ice after the game. They even had the table ready at one of the entrances to the ice and it would have been a part of the Storm Surge. But once we choked the lead away and it went to OT, they decided to just do it in private and announce it in the postgame.
You sure about that, guy?
Willy on 99.9 ... said signing during a Storm Surge was never going to happen and he didn't want that spotlight

Guys one old away from never playing again

Underrated post.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I mean I’m glad- hope it works out.

But it could also be the nightmare scenario where he becomes the old version of what happened with Nylander and sucks, and there is confusion in the room because he is the real leader and Staal is sitting mutely in the corner wearing the C...you get the picture

Meanwhile despite where the Canes are now compared to where they were last year there are other problems that need to be addressed.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I mean I’m glad- hope it works out.

But it could also be the nightmare scenario where he becomes the old version of what happened with Nylander and sucks, and there is confusion in the room because he is the real leader and Staal is sitting mutely in the corner wearing the C...you get the picture

Meanwhile despite where the Canes are now compared to where they were last year there are other problems that need to be addressed.

Signing Williams doesn't change the capability to address other problems.

There are two extras on the roster once Williams is ready to play, one F, one D. Still space for one more player on the roster by rule.
Waddell said they can add a $5M-$6M contract at the deadline if they want, so Williams isn't taking up much cap space.

If anything, this allows them to prioritize needs more at the deadline rather than having to search for another RH forward. If they want to upgrade D or G, I think it's more feasible now that Williams is there as an insurance policy for the forwards. Not less.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Justin’s two tone red/black textured logo hat he wore in today’s festivities is pretty fresh tbh
Its the same one that Reimer and Mrazek have been wearing on the bench this year.

Looks like its player-issue only. I haven't seen it in The Eye or online

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Wonder how he and the 3rd line guys will mesh as they're the team newbies - but also, two of the older pros on the team? The Athletic had part 3 of their series yesterday re: Williams return and how to incorporate him. From all the stat analysis, the 3rd line was the one line that should not be altered by his return in their opinion.

Even if they leave the line in tact, he'll likely be on one of the PPs with them - unless he knocks Haula back to #2 as Aho seems so excited to have him back by his side. Then, who'd get bumped off #2- Nino, Wallmark, or Dzingel?

Still see Nino or Dzingel as potentially being adversely affected or vulnerable.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Regardless where he ends up in the lineup I'm most excited about the leadership, and constructive criticism he'll bring to this group. Rod's only one guy. Williams is an extension of him with even more important game experience. I would love to see him behind the bench with Rod some day. So many intangibles outside of his on-ice production. Staal's probably not out there telling them what they need to hear. Maybe, but I have my doubts.

Reactions: ChuckW and cptjeff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->