William Nylander Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Thats only the title name based on the last thread, not based off personal opinion.
Last thread was full of “me willi” “we don’t need him” talk.
I’m frustrated with the situation but I wouldn’t take it that far... yet.

OK OK OK fine ENOUGH of the me first willi , i would hate to tick off the jock sniffers

so here is my take, it's time to trade willi melander for a D upgrade

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's proven more than kadri had at the time.

Okay... but Kadri can still be a comparable.

Lets say Management thinks Nylander is 20% better than Kadri was when he signed his contract...

Kadri signed 6.3% x 6 years

0.063 * 1.2 (20%) * 79.5 mil salary cap == 6 mil x 6 years.

That fits right with Ehlers too.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay... but Kadri can still be a comparable.

Lets say Management thinks Nylander is 20% better than Kadri was when he signed his contract...

Kadri signed 6.3% x 6 years

0.063 * 1.2 (20%) * 79.5 mil salary cap == 6 mil x 6 years.

That fits right with Ehlers too.

of course it does. we all know that.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
When Willy does sign what I believe is almost assuredly going to be a bridge deal, I hope for his sake he plays really well on the ice.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Be nice to get this whole thing finished with. I cant see Nylander being back with the leafs. I believe we will see a trade sometime in the next month. he seems to be pretty firm on, with Marner + Matthews contracts being a higher concern I doubt he gets what he wants. looks like a trade is our best option with him. it sucks but lets close this one out and get him signed or traded.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
If Toronto wanted to be a better team moving forward (not just the team you build in NHL 2019, but a real, functional team).

1. Nylander to Anaheim in a deal that sends Hampus Lindholm the other way. One of he or Reilly will play on the right side just fine on the top pair.

2. Next summer ship Marleau out for the final year of his contract. You can slot another player into that spot and save money.

3. Let Jake Gardiner walk because he's not worth 6+ million per year with the way he plays at the defensive end of the ice. Sign a guy like Nate Schmidt instead, and save a couple million dollars. Let Ron Hainsey leave and sign a veteran in the 32-33 year old range, coming off his "big contract", to play on your third pair.

Nazem Kadri (4.5) / Auston Matthews (10.5) / Kasperi Kapanen (4.0)
Carl Hagelin (4.0) / John Tavares (11.0) / Mitch Marner (8.0)
Zach Hyman (2.2) / Par Lindholm (1.5) / Connor Brown (2.1)
Andreas Johnsson (2.5) / Frederick Gauthier (1.0) /Pierre Engvall (1.0)

Morgan Reilly (5.0) / Hampus Lindholm (5.2)
Nate Schmidt (4.5) / Travis Dermott (1.o)
Andreas Borgman (1.0) / Nikita Zaitsev (4.5)

Freddy Anderson (5.0)
Garret Sparks (1.0)

With a 13th forward and 7th defensemen both on ELC money, and counting Kessel's 1.2 million, that's basically exactly 82 million, which is what I expect the cap to be... I think that team is much better defensively. the offense from the top 6 is still extremely potent and the defense core has 5 staple pieces (Reilly, Lindholm, Schmidt, Zaitsev, Dermott), Borgman makes the jump until Liljegren, or Sandin are ready to play in the NHL for cheaper.

Win A LOT of friggen games.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
No one like to be in an ugly situation but for those who do not know that the Leafs have last hammer until he is a UFA and I am sure that the management do not want to force the issue

He can sit out but he is still a Leaf unless some one offer sheet him and he accept the offer (even in that situation Leafs are better getting all those picks and move on). People can argue but Nylander is not helping himself

I believe none of the parties are looking for a bridge deal or else they would have signed the contract but the longer it drag they might end up signing a bridge

Reactions: rumman

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
If Toronto wanted to be a better team moving forward (not just the team you build in NHL 2019, but a real, functional team).

1. Nylander to Anaheim in a deal that sends Hampus Lindholm the other way. One of he or Reilly will play on the right side just fine on the top pair.

2. Next summer ship Marleau out for the final year of his contract. You can slot another player into that spot and save money.

3. Let Jake Gardiner walk because he's not worth 6+ million per year with the way he plays at the defensive end of the ice. Sign a guy like Nate Schmidt instead, and save a couple million dollars. Let Ron Hainsey leave and sign a veteran in the 32-33 year old range, coming off his "big contract", to play on your third pair.

Nazem Kadri (4.5) / Auston Matthews (10.5) / Kasperi Kapanen (4.0)
Carl Hagelin (4.0) / John Tavares (11.0) / Mitch Marner (8.0)
Zach Hyman (2.2) / Par Lindholm (1.5) / Connor Brown (2.1)
Andreas Johnsson (2.5) / Frederick Gauthier (1.0) /Pierre Engvall (1.0)

Morgan Reilly (5.0) / Hampus Lindholm (5.2)
Nate Schmidt (4.5) / Travis Dermott (1.o)
Andreas Borgman (1.0) / Nikita Zaitsev (4.5)

Freddy Anderson (5.0)
Garret Sparks (1.0)

With a 13th forward and 7th defensemen both on ELC money, and counting Kessel's 1.2 million, that's basically exactly 82 million, which is what I expect the cap to be... I think that team is much better defensively. the offense from the top 6 is still extremely potent and the defense core has 5 staple pieces (Reilly, Lindholm, Schmidt, Zaitsev, Dermott), Borgman makes the jump until Liljegren, or Sandin are ready to play in the NHL for cheaper.

Win A LOT of friggen games.
Lol. This isn’t NHL 2019 like you said.

Anaheim is not trading Lindholm for Nylander.
Marleau is not waiving his NMC.
Gardiner is worth 6 mil. Not sure if we could fit him under our cap but he’s worth it.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Lol. This isn’t NHL 2019 like you said.

Anaheim is not trading Lindholm for Nylander.
Marleau is not waiving his NMC.
Gardiner is worth 6 mil. Not sure if we could fit him under our cap but he’s worth it.

IMO, the only people that think Gardiner is worth 6-6.5 million, are the people that think Toronto is going to go anywhere in the playoffs because they win 7-6 or 6-4 with an empty netter during the regular season. Toronto is in desperate need of a couple guys that will gladly trade 10 points of offensive production on offense, for quality, bigtime minutes, defensively. Their top 2 lines are going to score plenty.

Gardiner might be worth that kind of money on a team that is insulated with defensive defensemen and who need a trigger man. Toronto is not that team.

Reactions: dsred

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He will make it back with a signing bonus, he will ask for extra.
I’m not sure exactly how this works.

If the contract is heavily front loaded, Nylander will miss out on a ton of money if he waits till December to sign. Enough that it wouldn’t be worth it for him. Is asigning bonus exempt from the deductions to his pay for signing in November/December?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He's proven more than kadri had at the time.
But when I continuously claim that Pastrnak accomplished FAR more than Nylander when signing his contract (ahem... 34 goals, 70 points: signed for 6.6) everyone just says “YEAH, BUT HE PLAYED WITH MARCHAND!!!!”

So in regards to Kadri/Nylander comparisons, can’t I also just scream “YEAH, BUT ONLY ONE PLAYED WITH AUSTON f***ING MATHHEWS.”

Why are there so many arguments that apparently apply ONLY to Nylander but not to any other player?

Last edited:

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Agreed.

Babcock strongly believes in RHD LHD.

Have you ever tried playing D on the wrong side ?

Sadly the likely outcome is Will Nye bridge. I do think there is no high AAV spot on the Leafs for him. and that's what he feels he is.

I have. I played left handed on the rignt side my whole life, mind you no where near pro level. The only issue is when a forward passes down the boards in the offensive zone, which an intelligent player can adjust his body to compinsate. In fact in the d zone its much easier to bank off the boards on the offside.

Its no where near as big of an issue everyone makes it out to be, kind of reminds me of lh1b/Rh1b

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
No one like to be in an ugly situation but for those who do not know that the Leafs have last hammer until he is a UFA and I am sure that the management do not want to force the issue

He can sit out but he is still a Leaf unless some one offer sheet him and he accept the offer (even in that situation Leafs are better getting all those picks and move on). People can argue but Nylander is not helping himself

I believe none of the parties are looking for a bridge deal or else they would have signed the contract but the longer it drag they might end up signing a bridge
I hope everyone realizes Nylander isn't a victim, he's the sole cause of him not playing right now. Remember that.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Kinda reminds me of Monopoly. So hard to trade for that last property sometimes.

Right? The other gms aint just mindless a.i. they know whats up. I think our bezt option to get a D is wait to the deadline and move a 1st/prospects for a top four who is an ufa or has one year left from a team surprised by their performance who wants to re tool.

But you never know, some team might value nylander so much they are kicking tires hard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad