William Nylander Discussion Thread

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Never been a big Nykander fan ... but he has grown on me over the past couple seasons. I'm definitely seeing him around the net getting greasy goals and I appreciate it. Maybe if he changes his last name to Roberts, then I will fully appreciate him. :sarcasm:

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
I hope to see a more aggressive Nylander this playoffs... He doesn't have to fight.. but a little more dig in the corners and push back in scrums.. he's got support now and players to back him up and fight for him if it gets nasty.. playing with more edge never hurts..

I love Nylander but when the game gets physical he shies away sometimes like recent playoffs.. let's hope he proves everyone wrong this year.

Reactions: studebaker17

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Will Nye playing well this year.

Solid GWG

856A0212-DE6C-4F82-A93C-5708027B1451.jpeg

Reactions: Nylanderthal and kb

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Well the Nylander - Matthews combo has been widely disappointing. If JT and Marner weren't in the zone I'd say split them up (and I really wanted to see them together to begin with). Matthews picks and chooses when to be on and Nylander only has a couple of good chances a game, bit not enough total domination through out the night. I like Bunting as a player but his finish just isn't there, he's pre Hyman before the offensive break out.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Well the Nylander - Matthews combo has been widely disappointing. If JT and Marner weren't in the zone I'd say split them up (and I really wanted to see them together to begin with). Matthews picks and chooses when to be on and Nylander only has a couple of good chances a game, bit not enough total domination through out the night. I like Bunting as a player but his finish just isn't there, he's pre Hyman before the offensive break out.
I'd say keep Marner with JT and Nylander with Matthews.

It just feels like a better 1-2 punch. It's hard to say which line is better, so other teams have tough choices on which line to focus their best shut down players on.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

Nylander isn't a great playmaker so he isn't the best fit with Matthews. He is a puck possession guy who likes to try and wait for opportunities to open up. Matthews is a guy who wants the puck on his stick too. With that said they can certainly dominate puck possession when out on the ice together so it's not bad in that sense.

There's a reason why Tavares is scoring goals again all of a sudden when he wasn't with Nylander... Mitch Marner is a true playmaker

Reactions: Confucius

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Nylander isn't a great playmaker so he isn't the best fit with Matthews. He is a puck possession guy who likes to try and wait for opportunities to open up. Matthews is a guy who wants the puck on his stick too. With that said they can certainly dominate puck possession when out on the ice together so it's not bad in that sense.

There's a reason why Tavares is scoring goals again all of a sudden when he wasn't with Nylander... Mitch Marner is a true playmaker
I agree and i'd also leave the pairings as is since JT looks cooked without Marner driving the play , creating chances for him .and allowing him to cheat offensively since he covers so much ice .

I also believe the current Mathews line will figure it out and start to produce more but Bunting needs to plant himself in the crease instead of playing more defensively responsible if he's going to up his production which really isn't too bad all things considered .

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

So why wasn't matthews scoring with mitch early on?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I would still like to see the 3 young guys specifically Nylander each have their own line, but then you’re going to have to either break up the Kase-kampf shutdown combo or use them as your 4th line and spread 2 of Spezza Simmonds and Ritchie higher up.
Bunting Matthews - x
x- Tavares- Marner
x- Kerfoot Nylander
x- Kampf Kase
Fill in around the x’s with the guys we have and play blender with who’s going or not each game.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I would still like to see the 3 young guys specifically Nylander each have their own line, but then you’re going to have to either break up the Kase-kampf shutdown combo or use them as your 4th line and spread 2 of Spezza Simmonds and Ritchie higher up.
Bunting Matthews - x
x- Tavares- Marner
x- Kerfoot Nylander
x- Kampf Kase
Fill in around the x’s with the guys we have and play blender with who’s going or not each game.
I'm open to it. It's kind of like Nylander being the Kessel of the Pens most recent cups. Or Mogilny on the 2000 Devils cup.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
i get it.. but Matthews isn't suffering bc nylander is on his line over mitch. He's just not it right now due to lack of a training camp.
I wasn't saying anything was Nylanders fault. Their line is still doing good. Just saying Matthews isn't going to score as much with Nylander... He isn't a pure playmaker like Marner is.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
5g in 7 playoff games
7g in 14 season games since

12g in his last 21 games (45+ goal pace)

if you go back a couple seasons for a larger sample size
31 in 68
17 in 51
5 in 7
7 in 14

60g in his last 140 gp - 35g pace.

Reactions: Morgs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad