William Nylander Discussion Thread

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Not sure what the argument is here @Sweet Leaf. You’re saying if Nylander was on our top line we’d be a lousy team, though you appear to agree that we have elite top line talent on our 2nd line... which we do, in Tavares and Nylander.

The context is this continual effort to frame Nylander's numbers as being less than they should be due to under utilization and my disagreement with that notion.

I think he's being utilized perfectly as a second liner playing 15-18 minutes a game.. I don't think his 5 on 5 numbers would jump much on the top line and with the few more minutes that come with it due to the matchups. I also think that the less strong areas of his game are exposed more especially when he has to face top physical defence pairings. Sheltering him a little on the second line makes all kinds of sense with this player for all kinds of reasons.

There's some validity to his numbers going up with more PP time however given the recent state of our PP even that's pretty dubious at this point.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
giphy-downsized-large.gif
The perfect follow up lol

The90

Feb 27, 2017
The context is this continual effort to frame Nylander's numbers as being less than they should be due to under utilization and my disagreement with that notion.

I think he's being utilized perfectly as a second liner playing 15-18 minutes a game.. I don't think his 5 on 5 numbers would jump much on the top line and with the few more minutes that come with it due to the matchups. I also think that the less strong areas of his game are exposed more especially when he has to face top physical defence pairings. Sheltering him a little on the second line makes all kinds of sense with this player for all kinds of reasons.

There's some validity to his numbers going up with more PP time however given the recent state of our PP even that's pretty dubious at this point.
This of course only makes sense, if he didn’t play the top lines for every season until keefe was his coach. However, he did. So it’s a disingenuous argument.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Since Keefe took over Nylander is 20th in goals per game and 40th in points per game - that's top end 1st line production in 2nd line minutes.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Same as usual. No one knows if Nylander is going to get 3 points with ease or skate with a piano on his back. He has been good lately but its not going to shock anyone if Nylander doesnt compete hard in the playoffs.
I’d be shocked. Looks like he’s finally figured it out.

Reactions: Havoc

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Same as usual. No one knows if Nylander is going to get 3 points with ease or skate with a piano on his back. He has been good lately but its not going to shock anyone if Nylander doesnt compete hard in the playoffs.
He isnt perfect but no one is. His upside means a guaranteed win with the rest of the firepower. I would take by chances because if he is on, there isnt much that can stop this team.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would go as far as to say that if Willy plays his complete game in the playoffs teams are in for a rough go from us. Do i trust his inconsistencies? I do trust them much more than last years.

Willy going beast mode in the playoffs could put us over the top with this much improved roster. I hope he is our best player this playoff.

Willy said himself “ it’s good to play mad sometimes”. That’s advice i hope he takes from himself this entire playoff

Reactions: Its not your fault

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Yet another nice JT - Willy goal.

This duo struggled to execute early in the season, but in the latter half they've been great. Feels like we now have the 'two first lines' we've always wanted and expected.

Still wish the line got more ice time 5-on-5.

Reactions: Menzinger

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Willy would be a 1st line center on a bad team, 2nd line center or a top line winger on most teams.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
That last Nylander goal was a complete 5 player effort, it almost looked like a set play they’ve been working on for the PP. Galchenyuk forecheck retrieval, puck to point, Holl across to Muzzin on the left point, slide it in to Tavares in the slot who redirects the pass to a waiting Nylander who buried it. It was a beauty.

Last edited:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Post makes no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad