William Karlsson Versus Sean Monahan

Which centre would you rather have?

• Total voters

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
William Karlsson. The guy is the real deal. You don't get this far playing this well in every part of the ice, in both regular season and playoffs, playing top lines and hardest competition and it's a fluke. Nah, bro.
So, back in 2005-06 you'd have taken Cheechoo over Marleau? I mean, you don't get that far playing that well......

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He wasn't injured the whole season. During the stretch ~30-35 game stretch he was injured, he put up fantastic numbers before he was shut down

This has always been the story with Monahan though, except the previous two years it was poor starts. I think more than likely he's the 30-30 player he always is, who goes on PPG streaks like that during the season but can't sustain that type of production for a full year.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
As a Vegas fan, we need to see if Karlsson can consistently put up this production. I think we are seeing he has a good set of tools but I really hope this wasn’t just an anomaly. Monahan is very consistent and is a constant producer for Calgary.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
From what I've seen, I've liked Monahan more than Karlsson - i've also watched Monahan for a long time going back to jr and liked him - so gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Not obsessed with my own view, so am happy to change things in the future.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Karlsson was the better player this season, that goes without question. He’s also the more complete player between the two.

That being said, it’s easy to forget how old Monahan is, and he’s shown steady progress to his game year over year.

I also don’t see Karlsson shooting as good as he did this year every year.

Can’t go wrong with either.

Reactions: Gaudfather

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I understand the argument of people wanting to see more from Karlsson but this is a terrible example. Is W. Karlsson playing with generational playmaker or player?
How does that matter? I used Marleau as the "Monahan" in my example because he too played with Thornton

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
How does that matter? I used Marleau as the "Monahan" in my example because he too played with Thornton

Cheechoo declined due to injury though. He's not the example of someone who had a spike season and regressed he's made out to be. He wouldn't have kept putting up 50 goal seasons, but he probably could have kept similar production to the 37 he had the following year in 76 games for a few more years if he stayed healthy. Marleau was also the better defensive player in that comparison, whereas here it's Karlsson.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Cheechoo declined due to injury though. He's not the example of someone who had a spike season and regressed he's made out to be. He wouldn't have kept putting up 50 goal seasons, but he probably could have kept similar production to the 37 he had the following year in 76 games for a few more years if he stayed healthy. Marleau was also the better defensive player in that comparison, whereas here it's Karlsson.
clearly you never read my other posts and the stupidity I was replying to

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
clearly you never read my other posts and the stupidity I was replying to

In this thread or previously? I read what you were replying to in this thread and stand by my response. It wasn't a relevant comparison to what you were replying to.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Lets see if its a one time thing or not with Karlsson. The line just works perfectly right now, but Marchessault seem to be the driving force at least as much as W. Karlsson. You probably remember the Triplet line and how good it was. Now only Kucherov is a clear 1st liner. While Palat and Johnson never have been able to produce at the same rate. Palat is still a very good defensive winger and Johnson also a good player, but he was considered one of the best C and many said he was the best C on TBL. While now hes the 3rd best C at TBL and have been moved to the wing still and awesome player, but not as good as the one season where everything went perfect for him.

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
Anyone expecting William Karlsson to shoot 25% going forward is going to be disappointed. Having said that, I still think he has the talent to settle in as a 30-30 guy.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Anyone expecting William Karlsson to shoot 25% going forward is going to be disappointed. Having said that, I still think he has the talent to settle in as a 30-30 guy.

So basically exactly what Monohan is? So its the perfect poll?

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Boy if Karlsson is underrated. Toews become voted as number 2 in the entire league when his team had some success, Karlsson lose battles against Monahan and Ehlers. Karlsson had also more impressing individual stats than Toews ever had.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Boy if Karlsson is underrated. Toews become voted as number 2 in the entire league when his team had some success, Karlsson lose battles against Monahan and Ehlers. Karlsson had also more impressing individual stats than Toews ever had.

If Karlsson had the resume to bank on this year being the norm he'd be viewed more favourably. People are going to be leery of a guy who tripled his career high in points at 25

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
If Karlsson had the resume to bank on this year being the norm he'd be viewed more favourably. People are going to be leery of a guy who tripled his career high in points at 25

This is the first year he has got a chance to shine offensivly, and there is a thing called late blommer, not all have hit their prime when they are 18. People had McDavid as one of the best even before he played a single game in NHL, so little sample size i do not buy as a argument. People are very incosistent with how they judge players. Sure it is a chance that Karlsson will come back to earth, but still Monahan will probably never have a year like Karlsson has had this year, so if they would have similar year i would understand, but now Karlsson have been a tier above Monahan this year, and then it do not make much sense. This year he has probably been around a top 5 C in the entire league.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
This is the first year he has got a chance to shine offensivly, and there is a thing called late blommer, not all have hit their prime when they are 18. People had McDavid as one of the best even before he played a single game in NHL, so little sample size i do not buy as a argument. People are very incosistent with how they judge players. Sure it is a chance that Karlsson will come back to earth, but still Monahan will probably never have a year like Karlsson has had this year, so if they would have similar year i would understand, but now Karlsson have been a tier above Monahan this year, and then it do not make much sense. This year he has probably been around a top 5 C in the entire league.

Some guys are late bloomers, yes, and no one's saying Karlsson isn't, but until he does it again, we won't know for sure. There's been a lot of players who've had big years and fallen back to earth so it's harder to know for sure what he's going to be than a guy who has hovered around 60 points for a few years now. Especially since his shooting percentage and underlying numbers already suggest regression. McDavid is a different case, as he was the highest rated prospect in a decade and it's a lot rarer for players that hyped to fail to become superstars than it is for guys who have outlier years in their mid-20s to fail to maintain their newfound level. And even still, there was tons of posters on here criticizing his placement on any best player list going into his rookie year.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
William Karlsson. The guy is the real deal. You don't get this far playing this well in every part of the ice, in both regular season and playoffs, playing top lines and hardest competition and it's a fluke. Nah, bro.

When a Sens fan says it I believe it cos they have first-hand experience with a Karlsson

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome

Monahan is 23 years old.... He was pacing for ~70 points. Putting his injuries aside, that is decent growth. Fairly confident he can get to 40/40 in the next couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad