Injury Report: William Karlsson, Upper Body Injury, Week to Week

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

His iron man streak is over. His first game missed in VGK history.

I am sure this has nothing to do with the coaching change. I am sure this has nothing to do with the coaching change. I am sure this has nothing to do with the coaching change. I am sure this has nothing to do with the coaching change. :huh:

Jumped through a plate glass window then punched a brick wall upon hearing the news of Gallant's firing.

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
This isn’t that surprising IMO. He was struggling so much recently that it didn’t seem like just a typical slump. If a healthy Karlsson scored 2 goals in 26 games, that would be a major concern too.

Hope he heals up soon and gets back to being the player we all know he can be.

ChanceVegas

Barney on a bender
Jan 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Jumped through a plate glass window then punched a brick wall upon hearing the news of Gallant's firing.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I mean this is already a good move by new coach.

Earlier this season Karlsson played with an injury too and Gallant just let him. You don’t do that with your best players. At some point you have to let them get out of the game and heal. Some injuries can get worse if not handled properly.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Smart coaching/management calls for almost no players to play more than 70-75 games a season except for the young guys. Phantom or overblown "injuries" are good to rest players and give the team a chance to work on some other combos and strategies. In this case, as much as we love that first line when they are playing well, this is a great chance to see what our center depth can do in different spots. Would have been great if Glass was healthy now, but I'm guessing he can get in a few first line games before Wild Bill is back.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Smart coaching/management calls for almost no players to play more than 70-75 games a season except for the young guys. Phantom or overblown "injuries" are good to rest players and give the team a chance to work on some other combos and strategies. In this case, as much as we love that first line when they are playing well, this is a great chance to see what our center depth can do in different spots. Would have been great if Glass was healthy now, but I'm guessing he can get in a few first line games before Wild Bill is back.

Can't say I've ever heard someone say that teams should be resting almost every single one of their players 7-12 games each year.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

You dont use a phantom injury to rest a player and fool around with lines when you're fighting tooth and nail to stay in the playoff conversation. We've been asking what's wrong with Wild Bill for weeks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Granger tweeted, in response to a question, that this is a "new" injury (but either doesn't know or can't say what it is).

Teams cannot "rest" players without risking fines from league. The NHL expects teams to put the best team they can on the ice. Going with less than that can be cause for league sanctions. (So, resting a player 1-2 games, maybe. But consistently, not really probable.)

In addition, players not out for legitimate injuries could be source of a union grievance (especially if the player has games played performance bonuses).

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
In addition, players not out for legitimate injuries could be source of a union grievance (especially if the player has games played performance bonuses).

No worry on performance bonuses since only ELC and over 35 contracts can have them.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Granger tweeted, in response to a question, that this is a "new" injury (but either doesn't know or can't say what it is).

Teams cannot "rest" players without risking fines from league. The NHL expects teams to put the best team they can on the ice. Going with less than that can be cause for league sanctions. (So, resting a player 1-2 games, maybe. But consistently, not really probable.)

While true, I think almost every player could at least semi-legitimately claim injury and sit for 5 games a year due to the grueling season.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Im not implying it does happen just saying it should. These NBA teams have figured this out, why not the NHL where rest for one or two players really doesn't make a big difference, especially compared to resting a star NBA player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad