Celebrity Death: William Hurt (71)

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Can’t say I’m all that familiar with much of his earlier work but more recently, I’m a big fan of Goliath, and he was great as Cooperman. Gone too soon, R.I.P.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I always thought he was an excellent character actor but was surprised to find out he was a successful leading man in the 80s. RIP

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
RIP, some great roles over the years including General Ross in the MCU, will be interesting to see what happens there given the rumors of a Thunderbolts show or movie at some point.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A lot of great performances to speak of. I have a soft spot for his stoner loser hitman in I Love You to Death.

But the two I think are most worth pointing out are in Body Heat and Broadcast News. Not only are they among his best, but they're interesting contrasts that show his range. Almost mirrors, really. In the former, he's a very smart man who lacks awareness of limitations which may or may not bring his downfall, while in the latter, he's someone who isn't inherently bright but he knows how to succeed within his limitations.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Great actor, absolutely love the stuff he did with Lawrence Kasden such as the Big Chill and Body Heat, but he had many other great performances.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Hurt only agreed to hospice and palliative care when the pain got too much to bear, the close friend said.

“He was totally against taking opiates because he had been sober for decades,” the source also said.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Hurt only agreed to hospice and palliative care when the pain got too much to bear, the close friend said.

“He was totally against taking opiates because he had been sober for decades,” the source also said.
I wonder if he ever made peace with Marlee Matlin. They dated during children of a lesser god and the details in her book "I'll scream later" we're shocking.

While he addressed certain things, he never stopped an ex from publishing a book on their relationship. While not admitting he did everything she wrote about him, he did say 'I know i hurt her"

He was a complex man

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Another former partner of his said he was very violent when he drank.

Playing internet psychologist here, I wonder if his denying himself pain medicine was more to punish himself for past harm he caused than to keep a terminal ill persons sobriety.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad