Prospect Info: William Bitten - 70th overall

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Was looking at the numbers, hopefully Bitten has turned things around as he started the season with just 15 pts in 21 games. Since then he's got 17 pts in the last 11 games including 6 of his 9 goals have been over that span. Haven't really been watching though as I see his team has only 1 regulation loss in their last 10 and sit in 1st in east.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Was looking at the numbers, hopefully Bitten has turned things around as he started the season with just 15 pts in 21 games. Since then he's got 17 pts in the last 11 games including 6 of his 9 goals have been over that span. Haven't really been watching though as I see his team has only 1 regulation loss in their last 10 and sit in 1st in east.

Curious... Is Bitten playing mostly center or wing these days or both still? I like him and his work ethic but he's another small forward :(

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I was so high on him before and after the draft . Happy to see he started picking it up.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Curious... Is Bitten playing mostly center or wing these days or both still? I like him and his work ethic but he's another small forward :(

he's been at center in the games i've seen. Great speed, compete level. He plays much bigger then his size. Really think he's going to be an NHLer in a few years.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd be happy if he becomes a Pageau/Byron type. Did his skating improve past what was already pretty decent?

Reactions: ginomini

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
he's been at center in the games i've seen. Great speed, compete level. He plays much bigger then his size. Really think he's going to be an NHLer in a few years.

I have not watched him much but the small sample size I have seen is exactly how you describe. I just am worried about too many small forwards on our roster. We are ok with a few if they can skate and compete well but we need to mix in way more guys with the size/skating/skill/grit combination (Poehling is a good start).

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I really think he doesn't have a contract because of his size. There's no doubt about his work ethic, and that he's a good player. I've been watching this team for a few years and the plan this year is to make a run at a championship. Currently Hamilton is first in the OHL east, and ranked #10 in the CHL top 10.

He was playing top line center until Hamilton acquired Nick Caamano and Ryan Moore a few weeks ago. Moore is now center while Bitten and Matt Strome play wing on the top line. If there's one thing Bitten has greatly improved this season, its definitely his faceoff percentage. Last year on 522 attempts he won 42.1%. This year he has won 51.4% on 245 attempts. I would expect him to play wing to the end of the season, so the faceoff sample size likely be as high as last year's.

If lines ever get juggled down the road, Hamilton has so much offensive depth that he shouldn't have any problem on the second line either. He tends to build chemistry with almost everyone and has played with pretty much everyone on the top 3 lines at some point.

For skating, he skates well and has always had good speed since arriving in Hamilton. It's not uncommon for him to end up with a breakaway or two in a game now and then. He also uses it a lot when carrying or cycling the puck during a PP in the opponent's end.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I really think he doesn't have a contract because of his size. There's no doubt about his work ethic, and that he's a good player. I've been watching this team for a few years and the plan this year is to make a run at a championship. Currently Hamilton is first in the OHL east, and ranked #10 in the CHL top 10.

He was playing top line center until Hamilton acquired Nick Caamano and Ryan Moore a few weeks ago. Moore is now center while Bitten and Matt Strome play wing on the top line. If there's one thing Bitten has greatly improved this season, its definitely his faceoff percentage. Last year on 522 attempts he won 42.1%. This year he has won 51.4% on 245 attempts. I would expect him to play wing to the end of the season, so the faceoff sample size likely be as high as last year's.

If lines ever get juggled down the road, Hamilton has so much offensive depth that he shouldn't have any problem on the second line either. He tends to build chemistry with almost everyone and has played with pretty much everyone on the top 3 lines at some point.

For skating, he skates well and has always had good speed since arriving in Hamilton. It's not uncommon for him to end up with a breakaway or two in a game now and then. He also uses it a lot when carrying or cycling the puck during a PP in the opponent's end.

Very much appreciate the breakdown from someone close watching Bitten! At this stage, what is his NHL ceiling and basement predictions? Any NHL player comparisons?

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Very much appreciate the breakdown from someone close watching Bitten! At this stage, what is his NHL ceiling and basement predictions? Any NHL player comparisons?
To compare, I sometimes think of him as a Brad Marchand to an extent but Bitten focuses mostly on his skill and speed. However, he's never afraid to agitate on the ice (he doesn't run his mouth too much though), play a chippy game, crash the net, and get involved in the scrums. Often finishes his checks (something the team as a whole has been improving on this season). He can play with a bit of an edge and takes a few penalties but generally plays on the right side avoiding the penalty box. He gets in the scums almost every game and it's common that he'll be the one in a headlock - likely because he got under someone's skin, or made contact with the goalie. He isn't a fighter or a dirty player. Nor does he earn misconducts or suspensions.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To compare, I sometimes think of him as a Brad Marchand to an extent but Bitten focuses mostly on his skill and speed. However, he's never afraid to agitate on the ice (he doesn't run his mouth too much though), play a chippy game, crash the net, and get involved in the scrums. Often finishes his checks (something the team as a whole has been improving on this season). He can play with a bit of an edge and takes a few penalties but generally plays on the right side avoiding the penalty box. He gets in the scums almost every game and it's common that he'll be the one in a headlock - likely because he got under someone's skin, or made contact with the goalie. He isn't a fighter or a dirty player. Nor does he earn misconducts or suspensions.

No lie... my first reaction was Marchand as well. Curious to see how he develops over the next few years and I hope he has a chip on his shoulder due to being left of team Canada.

Reactions: S Bah

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
No lie... my first reaction was Marchand as well. Curious to see how he develops over the next few years and I hope he has a chip on his shoulder due to being left of team Canada.
If he plays with a chip on his shoulder, that's great for our team! Hopefully Montreal signs him in the next few months. I think it's worth giving him a chance to develop in the AHL.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If he plays with a chip on his shoulder, that's great for our team! Hopefully Montreal signs him in the next few months. I think it's worth giving him a chance to develop in the AHL.

I agree. Depends on what he does from here till the rest of the season but I see no reason why he will not get a contract and we give him a shot to develop in the AHL.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

I believe there are a few players that will feel betrayed after being left off the TC roster. Bitten & Veleno stand out amongst those that won in the summer games. Veleno was the team's Captain, seems odd that the highest ranked Canadian center was left off the team?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sounds like another Gallsgher

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

If he's really going to be an NHLer, why are his numbers so low? Are you talking a fourth liner or a 3rd liner that gets between 20 and 25 points?

I've never seen a successful NHL player with such low numbers in junior.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
If he's really going to be an NHLer, why are his numbers so low? Are you talking a fourth liner or a 3rd liner that gets between 20 and 25 points?

It's really all about how he finishes this year imo. Last year could've been an abomination. I just don't think he was put in a position to succeed last year. This year he's been on a tear these last 19 games. If he can keep it up he should end this year with some respectable numbers.

Still as much as I like him, I'd temper my expectations. I think he could definitely be a solid bottom 6er. Pretty confident about that. he's really strong for his size. I hope he can still have top 6 potential. It's not impossible but not hugely probable at this point. Like I said, we'll see how he finishes the year.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's really all about how he finishes this year imo. Last year could've been an abomination. I just don't think he was put in a position to succeed last year. This year he's been on a tear these last 19 games. If he can keep it up he should end this year with some respectable numbers.

Still as much as I like him, I'd temper my expectations. I think he could definitely be a solid bottom 6er. Pretty confident about that. he's really strong for his size. I hope he can still have top 6 potential. It's not impossible but not hugely probable at this point. Like I said, we'll see how he finishes the year.

I think if he ends up a Bottom-6 player, I'd be content. They selected him in the 3rd Round. I can see him as a Top-9 getting some PP time because of his quickness and nose for the net.

But like you say, he needs to keep this pace up. If he does, I see an ELC coming his way. Like Mete and Addison last year, they can sign him to one during the hockey season. No need to wait like they have to with the NCAA prospects.

I would love to see him in Laval next year. I watched the rookie tournament game against the Leafs prospects in September. He was on Audette's wing and they were both flying out there. He had even scored a beauty of a goal, too. Wouldn't mind seeing them together in Laval next year.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario

Last year the only time Bitten was on the top line was when top liners were injured. Matt Strome, Niki Petti (now with Laval Rocket), and Luff Luff (now Ontario Reign) had a ton of chemistry and were locked as the top line. The rest of the lines barely had stability as the coach shuffled them too often, which made it difficult for players to build chemistry. I believe Bitten consistently played with Marian Studenic and Brandon Saigeon closer to the end of the season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

4th liner maybe 3rd, but he was a ppg in his draft year. He's got the speed, work ethic that alone could put him in the NHL down the road.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe there are a few players that will feel betrayed after being left off the TC roster. Bitten & Veleno stand out amongst those that won in the summer games. Veleno was the team's Captain, seems odd that the highest ranked Canadian center was left off the team?

Veleno is 17 right? Probably why. I’m sure he will be on the team as a 18 and 19 year old

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It's not odd that a draft eligible forward was left off Team Canada. You have to be a 100 point CHL player to sniff the WJC roster as a draft eligible forward. Veleno's going to fall quite short of that mark. He should just focus on making the WJC roster ever. This year there were forwards who were left off who did better in their draft seasons, and followed those draft seasons up by torching their leagues again.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I know they have 5 months to sign him, but what's the wait to sign him to his ELC ?

It's no rush. Mete, Bourque, and Addison all signed their ELC's last year in March. They're probably waiting to see if he keeps this up. Not to mention, they may have more of their attention on other matters like trades and the deadline in not too long. After that, they will be able to focus on some of the players whose rights will expire like Bitten, Pezzeta, and Evans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad