Will you support an NHL with replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
TOO said:
Basically, I think bringing in replacement players would keep a lot of players in Europe, and would probably lead to a situation much more like soccer in Europe, with three or four leagues that are similar in quality, say the NHL, the Swedish league, and the Russian league. I guess I just don't see much reason for European players to cross the Atlantic except for money or competition, neither of which the replacement NHL would offer.

That would be really interesting eh? They use replacement players, all the great Canadians and stars are over in Europe, all the Euros who normally wouldnt be able to make the NHL, and were displaced from their teams by striking NHLers are playing over here.

This is all worth it to make a point I guess. What do we care. We'll pay as long they wear that jersey.

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
TOO said:
Basically, I think bringing in replacement players would keep a lot of players in Europe, and would probably lead to a situation much more like soccer in Europe, with three or four leagues that are similar in quality, say the NHL, the Swedish league, and the Russian league. I guess I just don't see much reason for European players to cross the Atlantic except for money or competition, neither of which the replacement NHL would offer.

I'm kind of surprised the dozen or so best European markets haven't already formed some sort of super league. If the players end up decertifying I think that could be a really neat outcome. A 15 team North American league and a 15 team European League in a wide open competition for the best players.

The winners play off for the Stanley Cup.

Tom

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
I'm kind of surprised the dozen or so best European markets haven't already formed some sort of super league. If the players end up decertifying I think that could be a really neat outcome. A 15 team North American league and a 15 team European League in a wide open competition for the best players.

The winners play off for the Stanley Cup.

Tom

Can't see that happening. Even with some of the new arenas being built in Europe, they have a ways to go to meet the North American Standard. You'd be creating a whole new generation of Have-Nots.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Ahh the CFL. Where they have hard cap, but noone abides by it because its not in their best interests.

If by draw, you mean they can charge better than league average ticket prices and have full attendance when they have winner with extra playoff revenue, then all the markets should be able to draw.

IF they couldnt, does it make more sense to ensure all teams pay expenses at a level they can afford, or that all teams share revenue to a level where they all can afford the same, or allow the teams that have proven to not be NHL calibre to fold? The first option seems the least philisophically logical to me in real business.

Maybe I should adopt your pessimism for the long term future of some of those teams but I still think they have all the tools at their disposal to achieve success, and like happened in Colorado, Ottawa once they have success, they will be in a different financial position. If Denver and Dallas can do it, why cant Nashville and Atlanta?
I wasn't using the CFL as a model business, believe me. I was referring to my 'pessimism' about several markets. The CFL seems to need to re-organize or re-finance ownership in about 2 of 9 cities/year. I agree that every team can achieve success, though not enough can achieve it at the same time to be long term viable. Your point of revenue sharing is taken, I also believe it's necessary, but for the same teams forever ? A salary minimum would have to be carefully applied.
The CFL hard cap is funny. A great example of ownership doing whatever the heck they want. The Western teams despise the East for blatantly ignoring the system they'd set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad