Will you support an NHL with replacement players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YellHockey*

thinkwild said:
I would support picket line violence.

Me too!

I'd love to see Tie Domi beating up some rich guy, who is just going to the ACC to be seen and could care less what is happening on the ice, with his picket sign.

It'd be great!

Oh, and I'd laugh at the idiots who would pay to see ECHL talent at NHL prices. But I'd curse and swear if the Senators called me up looking to swindle me out of my money with an inferior product.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
patp77 said:
Just curious to find out which part of the players' position you really support? Until I hear valid points that make me feel sorry for the players, I can't help but side with the owners. The owners have shown that they are taking losses. The owners have shown that their proposals are based on other leagues that are working wonders currently (NBA, NFL). The players have shown proposals based on a league that is broken (MLB). So if you truly feel that the owners are at fault (which is possible and that's why I'm replying), what do you think is the problem with their proposals and what do you think is right about the players' approach?

Or am I just a sucker for sarcasm?
the nba has a soft cap - which is a joke - the only thing holding up the crappy teams is an inovative tv deal - have you not seen those empty seats when the hornets or clippers play - the nfl has declining tv ratings and is getting more watered down by the game - last night's was great wasn't it? - a salary cap would be based on the overall revenue which the owners won't come clean on -
you can see right thru daly - and that blab in atlanta has revealed the master plan - the players have proven they are willing to compromise on every issue but the cap - the league won't -

- although i still think its all in the name of labour negotiations - if it goes past dec 15 - it will be very sad indeed - don't know if i answered your statement - felt good though - oh the nfl - what a great game last night - oh tampa bay and the dolphins - gee their good - bring on the replacements - at least we'll get in for free

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
K215215 said:
If the league declares an impasse and the players go on strike and the NHL brings in replacement players (as has been said will happen in some recent articles) will you still spend your entertainment dollars on an NHL with replacement players?

I'd encourage any hockey at all at this point. If there was an AHL team in my area, I'd buy a season ticket.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Smail said:
I'd encourage any hockey at all at this point. If there was an AHL team in my area, I'd buy a season ticket.

And there lies the owners hammer, we all as hockey fans just want- HOCKEY.
I say scrap the NHL, throw it to the garbage and start all over, the game needs to become more appealing to a larger audience to survive. I hope thats the owners ultimate plan, otherwise it's just a big waste of time.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
RangerBlues said:
And there lies the owners hammer, we all as hockey fans just want- HOCKEY.
I say scrap the NHL, throw it to the garbage and start all over, the game needs to become more appealing to a larger audience to survive. I hope thats the owners ultimate plan, otherwise it's just a big waste of time.
which audience would that be ? - the people who can't see the puck?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
patp77 said:
Just curious to find out which part of the players' position you really support? Until I hear valid points that make me feel sorry for the players, I can't help but side with the owners. The owners have shown that they are taking losses. The owners have shown that their proposals are based on other leagues that are working wonders currently (NBA, NFL). The players have shown proposals based on a league that is broken (MLB). So if you truly feel that the owners are at fault (which is possible and that's why I'm replying), what do you think is the problem with their proposals and what do you think is right about the players' approach?

Or am I just a sucker for sarcasm?

I support the part that says they are willing to negotiate on anything including ways to lower their salaries in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I support the part that says if they have a league where half the players cant negotiate their market value, and the other half are not the key parts of winning a first cup, and you still cant find a way to manage your assets profitably, then you better have a pretty good explanation of exactly what the problem is and what you are fixing to justify shutting us out of hockey to win the better part of the $30billion in revenues you expect to get over the course of this next agreement.

If you are saying you are going to FIX competitive balance, I have to question whether you understand sports, for it is in the greatest shape of any of the major leagues.

I support negotiation, not union busting, years of lockout, replacement players, just to ensure you win your power struggle.

I dont believe the other leagues are working wonders for their fans or their players. But they have crossed that bridge and are helpless now. I dont think the quality of the NFL is that great at all. I think the cap has ruined it. Some of them in the NFL have been trying to tell us, but we refuse to listen. Because fans are singularly focused on getting on their knees to ensure the billionaires are guaranteed profits because they fear for their franchises survival in the real world.

I support a position that sees the Edmonton Oilers as a fantasticlly profitable enterprise. With an inferiority comples that they could never match what the better city Calgary can do.

I think if you look with an open mind, there is only one possible conclusion: Bettman is a puke and they have fed us nothing but lies and misleading propaganda forever.

I certainly have no answers. But lots of questions and doubts.

Optimist*

I remember watching the replacement players in the NFL. Just before the players came back I remember thinkiing that I liked the replacment players better. They played with more heart. They became heroes quickly. It was amazing to see. It was almost a shame that the strike ended, we were really into the replacement players.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
thinkwild said:
I support the part that says they are willing to negotiate on anything including ways to lower their salaries in the hundreds of millions of dollars. I support the part that says if they have a league where half the players cant negotiate their market value, and the other half are not the key parts of winning a first cup, and you still cant find a way to manage your assets profitably, then you better have a pretty good explanation of exactly what the problem is and what you are fixing to justify shutting us out of hockey to win the better part of the $30billion in revenues you expect to get over the course of this next agreement.

If you are saying you are going to FIX competitive balance, I have to question whether you understand sports, for it is in the greatest shape of any of the major leagues.

I support negotiation, not union busting, years of lockout, replacement players, just to ensure you win your power struggle.

I dont believe the other leagues are working wonders for their fans or their players. But they have crossed that bridge and are helpless now. I dont think the quality of the NFL is that great at all. I think the cap has ruined it. Some of them in the NFL have been trying to tell us, but we refuse to listen. Because fans are singularly focused on getting on their knees to ensure the billionaires are guaranteed profits because they fear for their franchises survival in the real world.

I support a position that sees the Edmonton Oilers as a fantasticlly profitable enterprise. With an inferiority comples that they could never match what the better city Calgary can do.

I think if you look with an open mind, there is only one possible conclusion: Bettman is a puke and they have fed us nothing but lies and misleading propaganda forever.

I certainly have no answers. But lots of questions and doubts.
amen

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eticket said:
I remember watching the replacement players in the NFL. Just before the players came back I remember thinkiing that I liked the replacment players better. They played with more heart. They became heroes quickly. It was amazing to see. It was almost a shame that the strike ended, we were really into the replacement players.
the football was excellent too - not! - it was a gong show

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
hillbillypriest said:
Why do you think that the NLRB would judge the NHL's stance to be bad faith in the circumstances? The NHL's position that they would be seeking a cap has been communicated to the NHLPA for at least five years, and the NHL has made overtures since that time about the renegotiating the CBA well before its expiry. I would suggest that the NHLPA would have a hard time convincing the NLRB that there had been bad faith bargaining in this instance.

I think it is really hard to judge what the NLRB would do. There does not seem to be much that is set in stone. One paper I read (sorry, I can't find the link now) suggested that the very lack of clarity drives the bargaining process apart. The owners declare impasse and implement their CBA, then the union files for an injunction and then the NLRB decides. Before the fact both the NHL and NHLPA will be guessing.

I think the situation was pretty much the same in baseball in 1994 and the players won their case. The length of time the league has wanted a cap really isn't relevent. What I think is relevant is that the owners aren't willing to negotiate anything except a cap. I don't think there has been any bargaining. I think the owners decided they wanted a cap five years ago, that's their position and they have not budged. The real purpose of the negotiators on both sides has been to get their positions before the media.

But who knows what the NLRB will decide? There is no clear test. I don't think either the NHL lawyers or the NHLPA lawyers know either. I think a lot will depend on what moves the owners make between now and when they declare an impasse. What are they planning to do? What are they waiting for? Why don't they just declare it now? At least that would stick the puck in the player's end, but it entails significant risk.

The players could very well report to work and file the unfair labour practice. If they win, the season proceeds under the old CBA. If they lose, the players announce a strike date for March 15th and try to force the employer back to the bargaining table.

Tom

Optimist*

There were 50,000 screaming fans at every game. I guess you werent one of them.You are entitled to your opinion.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Absolutely, I'll support my team with replacement players. In fact, I *want* it to happen. The overpaid NHLPA can rot in their basements for all I care.

hillbillypriest

Mar 20, 2002
there there
Visit site
Tom_Benjamin said:
I think it is really hard to judge what the NLRB would do. There does not seem to be much that is set in stone. One paper I read (sorry, I can't find the link now) suggested that the very lack of clarity drives the bargaining process apart. The owners declare impasse and implement their CBA, then the union files for an injunction and then the NLRB decides. Before the fact both the NHL and NHLPA will be guessing.

I think the situation was pretty much the same in baseball in 1994 and the players won their case. The length of time the league has wanted a cap really isn't relevent. What I think is relevant is that the owners aren't willing to negotiate anything except a cap. I don't think there has been any bargaining. I think the owners decided they wanted a cap five years ago, that's their position and they have not budged. The real purpose of the negotiators on both sides has been to get their positions before the media.

But who knows what the NLRB will decide? There is no clear test. I don't think either the NHL lawyers or the NHLPA lawyers know either. I think a lot will depend on what moves the owners make between now and when they declare an impasse. What are they planning to do? What are they waiting for? Why don't they just declare it now? At least that would stick the puck in the player's end, but it entails significant risk.

The players could very well report to work and file the unfair labour practice. If they win, the season proceeds under the old CBA. If they lose, the players announce a strike date for March 15th and try to force the employer back to the bargaining table.

Tom
Thanks for the response Tom,

I asked for your opinion primarily because my interest was piqued by an article a few weeks ago by Steven Brunt in the Globe that referred back to the 1994 baseball situation, so I did a bit (emphasis on "bit") on some of the things he was talking about. The theme of the article as I recall it was that hockey fans should remember the name of Sonia Sotomayor, the judge that upheld the NLRB's (3-2 split) decision invalidating the impasse declaration of the MLB owners. Brunt's suggestion was that a similar situation could occur in hockey if the Owners attempted to declare an impasse, with the result that nothing would be settled, the fans would be upset because the season would have been lost for "nothing" and the league would take 10 years to recover lost fan support, as baseball has.

However, after doing my bit of research, I did not come to the same conclusions as Brunt did about the likely impact of an impasse declaration by the NHL. The following struck me as relevant differences:

1. Baseball's disruption in 1994 was a strike. This is a lockout. Since the Baseball PA had created the stoppage, they had the initiative to end the strike immediately after Sotomayor upheld the LRB decision. In the NHL's lockout situation, the initiative to respond to a similar decision would rest with the owners. So if the LRB declared an NHL impasse to be similarly invalid, it seems to me that the worst that would happen to the NHL is that they would go back to the current standoff of relying on the lockout pending the development of an acceptable new CBA to put pressure on the players.

2. The composition of the NLRB may change from the democratic dominated one in place during the early Bubba era to more of a republican bent (of course, it might go back to being democrat dominated, I guess we'll see in a few weeks).

3. I think that the NHL has been open to negotiation of a cap for 5 years and to renegotiation of the CBA before expiry (while the NHLPA was not open to pre-expiry negotiations) would work in the NHL's favour. By contrast, part of the LRB's finding of bad faith bargaining by MLB was that the owners had exercised an option to re-open the baseball basic agreement 18 months prior to the 1994 strike but had not started substantive negotiations until just before the strike began. I think that the NHL has learned from this and that this is precisely why they've been trying so hard to convey the message of openness to negotiate for such a long time in advance of the lockout.

All this being said, I think it is very clear to me that the NHL intends to declare impasse at some time before the season is written off. I say this because Bettman was so much at pains during his CBC town hall with Mansbridge a few weeks ago to say that while they were not at all contemplating impasse, he explained in detail how the NHL had a right to do this after a certain amount of time. (He was obviously lying about this).

Similarly, the position of Goodenow that has frustrated so many fans so far is explainable in light of the likely legal manuevering to come. Goodenow needs to be able to say that union has never and would never consider a cap in order to make their case stronger against the NHL when the NLRB deals with the NHL's impasse declaration when it comes. This is why Goodenow has not wasted a lot of time trying to deal with the criticism that he's losing the public relations war. He knows, as does the NHL, that the real war is the preparations for the NLRB's process and subsequent appeals. Fan support is necessary collateral damage.

W.r.t your scenario of decertification (I think this was in a prior post of yours in this thread), I say it doesn't happen. Certainly theoretically possible, but I don't think the majority of the players at the end of the day have the balls to make this happen. I agree with part of Bruce Dowbiggin's hypothesis that if the market were actually free for player movement, the results would be like the range of compensation for movie actors - a very small elite that makes mega bucks, and a much bigger mass that makes a fraction of the stars salaries. All that's needed to make that happen is to eliminate the scarcity currently caused by restricted free agency. (IMO, if the owners could just see this, they'd be much better off leverage wise....)

My take. Any thoughts?

HBP

Tom_Benjamin

Sep 8, 2003
www.canuckscorner.com
hillbillypriest said:
1. So if the LRB declared an NHL impasse to be similarly invalid, it seems to me that the worst that would happen to the NHL is that they would go back to the current standoff of relying on the lockout pending the development of an acceptable new CBA to put pressure on the players.

Do you mean they could re-impose the lockout? I would guess. Do you know what kind of time frames are normal for these things? The impasse is declared, the new CBA announced and the lockout is lifted. The players report and file the complaint.

If the NHL is found not to have bargained in good faith, they re-impose the lockout? I suppose they could. I'm suggesting the players will report rather than strike, because I think that is their best strategy but I think that's another interesting question. Do the players start playing?

2. The composition of the NLRB may change from the democratic dominated one in place during the early Bubba era to more of a republican bent (of course, it might go back to being democrat dominated, I guess we'll see in a few weeks).

Maybe. One paper I saw indicated that a lot would depend on where it was filed. The NHLPA will probably be shopping, right?

3. I think that the NHL has learned from this and that this is precisely why they've been trying so hard to convey the message of openness to negotiate for such a long time in advance of the lockout.

I don't think there is any doubt about this, but I can't see it flying. They did not have the option to re-open. Baseball owners did re-open. Like I said in the first post, the length of time they negotiate (or in this case want to negotiate) isn't really relevant. If it is in bad faith, it is bad faith for five years.

All this being said, I think it is very clear to me that the NHL intends to declare impasse at some time before the season is written off.

I agree. In fact if I was a betting man, I'd say they play out the season under the old CBA if they lose the NLRB ruling. It is a way out and we start again after the Stanley Cup.

Similarly, the position of Goodenow that has frustrated so many fans so far is explainable in light of the likely legal manuevering to come.

No doubt. The language "Salary cap, salary cap, salary cap" and "a system they know the players will never accept" is very telling. The player offer was crafted with an eye on the labour law.

I agree with part of Bruce Dowbiggin's hypothesis that if the market were actually free for player movement, the results would be like the range of compensation for movie actors - a very small elite that makes mega bucks, and a much bigger mass that makes a fraction of the stars salaries. All that's needed to make that happen is to eliminate the scarcity currently caused by restricted free agency. (IMO, if the owners could just see this, they'd be much better off leverage wise....)

I don't think so. I do think the gap would become even greater than it is today, but it's too much of a team game. The big stars just can't have the impact that a big name movie star can have or even a big name basketball player. I think this is one of the reasons the game doesn't sell nearly as well in the US. It is a star culture, and in hockey it is the collective that matters. It is one of the reasons the dash for free agents hardly ever pays off. A third of the players would make 80% of the money instead of 70%.

I think a wide open league would be really interesting to see both in a competitive sense and a money sense.

My take. Any thoughts?

An excellent post.

Did you see anything about the Canadian jurisdictions? I don't think any of this applies in Canada.

Tom

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Tom_Benjamin said:
What I think is relevant is that the owners aren't willing to negotiate anything except a cap.
What I find funny is that I always here this said, but nobody ever brings up the fact that the NHLPA isn't willing to negotiate anything except a free market system...

The way I look at it is that there are basically two ideas... Salary Cap or Free Market... Within those two systems are MANY different concessions that can be made either way... Many different compromises... A luxury tax is just one such concession within a free market system...

So, for the NHLPA to constantly throw the idea around that the owners refuse to negotiate anything other than a salary cap , what they are doing is pointing a finger at the owners while hoping nobody will point one back at them for doing the exact same thing... The NHLPA refuses to negotiate unless they are dealing with a free market system... What's the difference?

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
I would absolutely support replacement players... Sure the hockey wouldn't be as good, but then again, the hockey hasn't been all that good with the clutching and grabbing and trapping over the last few years anyways so what's the difference...

Saskin's comments about how he believes that the fans are committed to watching only NHL level players play and that he doesn't think we'd support replacement players just shows how out of touch he is... Sure there are fans that would balk at the idea of watching replacement players... But there are many more who would be happy just to see the games back on... What he seams to think is that most fans of the NHL are actually fans of specific players... I will admit that I certainly have certain players that I cheer for more than others, but in the end, I cheer for my team...

If the players aren't willing to accept a little bit less money than the outrageous amounts they are already making, then I'm not going to be supportive of them... I'm going to support the guys that step in as scabs and play, simply because it has always been their dream to play in the NHL and this is their one shot to make it... Then you'll see players playing with heart... Sure it won't be NHL level hockey, but it will be at least AHL level talent and that's still damn good hockey... And over time, as rookies enter the league and the odd person jumps ship from the NHLPA, the league will get better...

Replacements? Let's go...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Plus, one other issue to consider is that a while back, Bettman stated that during this lockout the NHL would be looking at several rule changes so that when the NHL comes back, it will be reintroduced with a very fast, exciting brand of hockey that will be highly entertaining and that the NHL is relying on this in order to entice fans back to the rinks...

Well, if that's the case, and the style of games are that much more exciting, then honestly, can you say that it will be a watered down product if replacement players play?

I'd probably prefer to watch replacement players play a fast paced, entertaining brand of hockey than to have NHL level talent playing a trapping, clutching and grabbing system that bores me to death...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
K215215 said:
If the league declares an impasse and the players go on strike and the NHL brings in replacement players (as has been said will happen in some recent articles) will you still spend your entertainment dollars on an NHL with replacement players?

Not a chance in hell.

Why would I pay NHL $$$ to see a product that would likely be closer to an East Coast Hockey level quality.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
If ticket costs were lowered to reflect the lower level of talent, then I would support the replacement players.

Go Flames Go*

Hey as long as Iggy/Phanuef/Kipper/Leopold/Regher all return to our line up bring on the replacement players, I will suppourt them, I will evem buy season tickets which I will never do unless there is a salary cap. **** the players bring on more Shean Donovans.

HckyFght*

eticket said:

Me too! I was a Redskins season ticket holder then (still am!) and the replacements were a scream! They really cared and played great! It's kind of adolescent hero-worship to say you have to see Sundin, Domi or Hossa or you're not going...In the end it's always the team, not the player that has my loyalty. I've been a Caps season ticket holder for years and years and they've always treated me great. They've lowered prices when the Caps suck, and they try to build good teams...The average professional athlete's career in all 4 major sports is under four years. If they locked out the players for good I wouldn't miss one of'm. In four years we'd have new hero's, sooner than that really. With players crossing the picket line and replacements, the league will be fine...I'm disappointed the league didn't start on time!
-HckyFght!

Jovo Cop

Plus you would still get superstar players ..they would still be drafting the best young players in the world ..all they would basically be doing is getting rid of all the fat cats .
Besides in time a guys like Iginla ,Kovalchuck and Ovechkin would come crawling back to the NHL ..at a LOWER salary ..better for everyone .I am nort sure how much or if ticket prices would drop , i would imagine they would have to drop some if the restart with replacement players .

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
Not a chance in hell.

Why would I pay NHL $$$ to see a product that would likely be closer to an East Coast Hockey level quality.
John, I won't pay NHL $$ to watch them now let alone with replacements. I'll gladly get comfortable in my chair on a Saturday and watch my Habs on television in whatever language it's offerrred,though. I'll cheer for the sweater whoever wears it and as already said, it won't be ECHL level for long. I was a fan of a team long before the current edition and if they are replaced,I'll support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->