Will you get vaccinated if one is available in 6 months?

What say you!?

• Total voters

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
And now I may decide not to get the flu shot.
Meh, I know many people at work who get the flu shot every year (my employer has someone come in reach year to give free flu shots to all employees wanting one, most people get it), I have never met anyone who has had adverse reactions. The flu shot is very safe with very low possibility of side effects.

The biggest issue would be egg allergies (someone allergic to eggs should not get it)...I don't know anyone who's allergic to eggs.

Reactions: ClydeLee

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Meh, I know many people at work who get the flu shot every year (my employer has someone come in reach year to give free flu shots to all employees wanting one, most people get it), I have never met anyone who has had adverse reactions. The flu shot is very safe with very low possibility of side effects.

The biggest issue would be egg allergies (someone allergic to eggs should not get it)...I don't know anyone who's allergic to eggs.
I agree with all of the above, but I actually know a guy with the egg allergy

It is a scary allergy because egg is in a lot of things. It was hard to diagnose. He eats out very infrequently now

Reactions: TaLoN

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I’m allergic to chicken eggs (the yolk). I’ve got the flu shot every year for at least 20 in a row. Never an issue. I’ve seen people get reactions at the site of injection, like a bit of tenderness and minor swelling, nothing beyond that. Getting the annual flu shot makes good sense unless the world is truly flat, of course.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’m allergic to chicken eggs (the yolk). I’ve got the flu shot every year for at least 20 in a row. Never an issue. I’ve seen people get reactions at the site of injection, like a bit of tenderness and minor swelling, nothing beyond that. Getting the annual flu shot makes good sense unless the world is truly flat, of course.
Good to know...I know I read it can cause severe adverse reactions, but I assumed that meant those with egg allergies was a no go... maybe it's more of a situation that needs monitoring more when the shot is given?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Every medication has side effects.

They all have some pretty serious ones, as well. They are just rare. The exceptions to this are those needed medications where it's a bad cure, or an even worse ailment. Chemo being one of those notorious examples. As time goes on, I think we're developing better methods, but there are still a lot of medications out there that are really bad for you, but you take it because it's the only option.

A flu vaccine is not on that list. I think the average side effect from a flu vaccine is a little fatigue, and maybe some tenderness at the injection point. You could have a similar kind of day if you just don't sleep well one night. It's nothing to avoid getting a flu shot over.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good to know...I know I read it can cause severe adverse reactions, but I assumed that meant those with egg allergies was a no go... maybe it's more of a situation that needs monitoring more when the shot is given?

I’m looking forward to the soon to be available (fingers crossed) Covid 19 vaccine. Not too sure what the safety protocols will be around getting that shot though.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
All the experts have flip flopped and been wrong numerous times but we should believe them when it comes to the vaccine when it comes out. Trust us because we're the experts......

2oL.gif

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
It’s this line of thought why covid is running rampant.
Well these kind of thoughts wouldn't happen if the experts didn't keeping dropping the ball and were straight with people from the beginning. I play the game and put the mask on when needed to get groceries or things like that but as for the vaccine not a chance I take that.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Right, don't trust the experts because they got things wrong and are not perfect when the available data are scant and incomplete. Instead trust your intuition because you're so much smarter than the experts. Or trust the conspiracy theorists because they have such clear logical thinking skills. Or trust the selfish and socially irresponsible ignoramuses who would do nothing that inconveniences them in any way.

A wise choice would be to cautiously trust the experts while doing a thorough research to assess the pros and cons of a particular vaccination. Get as many expert opinions as possible. Experts are not infallible but they are our best source of information about vaccines.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Say, did you know doctors once thought Alcohol was good for you to steady the nerves? And recommending Smoking and Cocaine too?

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Say, did you know doctors once thought Alcohol was good for you to steady the nerves? And recommending Smoking and Cocaine too?
You can keep on saying the experts know more than me and I would sincerely hope so but I also know when you keep putting faith into something that's consistently back tracking and proving all their big ideas didn't work you tune them out.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
You can keep on saying the experts know more than me and I would sincerely hope so but I also know when you keep putting faith into something that's consistently back tracking and proving all their big ideas didn't work you tune them out.
I don't know where your information is coming from but the information I have received from the experts makes a lot of sense to me. It is not constantly changing, it has changed as new information becomes available and more knowledge is acquired. That is how science works. And you need to realize that pandemics don't happen very frequently, are hard to do controlled studies with and thus often scientists are faced with a lot of unknowns at the beginning of a new pandemic, like what is the major mode of virus transmission, when are people infectious, etc. So don't expect the experts to have gotten everything right from the beginning. That is a very unrealistic expectation.

And if the information that you're receiving is pissing you off then I suggest you ask yourself why you feel that way and then try to assess how good your sources are and then try to understand how the science behind virology and epidemiology works on a high level. Doing so might help you make sense of the information that has changed and may still change as scientists learn more about this virus and the disease it causes.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Not a chance i am going to take an unproven vaccine, maybe in a few years when people didn't get any side effect from the vaccine and actually develop immunity against the virus.

count me out as a beta tester, i let people did the testing for me.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Not a chance i am going to take an unproven vaccine, maybe in a few years when people didn't get any side effect from the vaccine and actually develop immunity against the virus.

That's an unrealistic expectation, if it has any effects then it also has side effects.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Agreed.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

"Beta tester" already got vaccinated.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Thanks for this information. This is good to know. As much as I'm skeptic and nervous about vaccinations I may bite the bullet with the flu shot. Your knowledge plus a Public Service Announcement I saw on the TV may have swayed me.

And now I may decide not to get the flu shot.
I really hope you wouldn't let some unsourced comment by a stranger on a hockey forum influence your decision whether or not to get a flu shot.

Here's a few good sources on the topic:

Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

Flu Shot: Influenza Vaccine and Side Effects

Flu shot: Your best bet for avoiding influenza

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Can you share some of them with those of us that are less informed?
Public should be told that vaccines may have long term adverse effects

Thus diabetes induced by vaccine should not be considered a rare potential adverse event. The incidence of many other chronic immunological diseases, including asthma, allergies, and immune mediated cancers, has risen rapidly and may also be linked to immunisation.

Hepatitis B Vaccine Linked to Onset of Diabetes

In the group as a whole, the rates of type 1 diabetes were 46 per 100,000 for children who had been vaccinated and 34 per 100,000 for children who had not. For those vaccinated at age 12, the rates were 17.8 per 100,000 for vaccinated children and 6.9 per 100,000 for unvaccinated children.

https://openpediatricmedicinejournal.com/contents/volumes/V2/TOPEDJ-2-7/TOPEDJ-2-7.pdf
The results significantly differ from a previous analysis by employees of a vaccine manufacturer [14] in which only the “adjusted” results were published. The previous analysis adjusted for “age, sex and calendar period” and limited the subgroup analysis to relative risk instead of comparing the absolute risk in the subgroup to the general population. The authors concluded that vaccines were not associated with an increased risk of diabetes and those with a family history of diabetes were not at an increased risk of diabetes. The differ- ences are explained below

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV

Thus diabetes induced by vaccine should not be considered a rare potential adverse event. The incidence of many other chronic immunological diseases, including asthma, allergies, and immune mediated cancers, has risen rapidly and may also be linked to immunisation.

Hepatitis B Vaccine Linked to Onset of Diabetes

In the group as a whole, the rates of type 1 diabetes were 46 per 100,000 for children who had been vaccinated and 34 per 100,000 for children who had not. For those vaccinated at age 12, the rates were 17.8 per 100,000 for vaccinated children and 6.9 per 100,000 for unvaccinated children.

https://openpediatricmedicinejournal.com/contents/volumes/V2/TOPEDJ-2-7/TOPEDJ-2-7.pdf
The results significantly differ from a previous analysis by employees of a vaccine manufacturer [14] in which only the “adjusted” results were published. The previous analysis adjusted for “age, sex and calendar period” and limited the subgroup analysis to relative risk instead of comparing the absolute risk in the subgroup to the general population. The authors concluded that vaccines were not associated with an increased risk of diabetes and those with a family history of diabetes were not at an increased risk of diabetes. The differ- ences are explained below

So, you took the first link that google gave you and didn't read the subsequent articles that all debunked the study you cite.

Cited by ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->